Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows the new year treating the community. I hope someone can solve the mystery of the paint codes or tell me what color i have. I cant seem to find the top secret info. I have an 08 1000 that clutch resevoir leaked onto my faring. Im sure i dont have to say anymore. Any way any help would be appreciated i have tried and tried to find it until my face is as blue as my bike . Thanks for any help. Here is a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Are you sure its a factory color? Looks to have a lot of custom pieces on it. Maybe someone resprayed to to their liking. Try going by a auto paint supply store and they will have a camera that can take a picture of paint and will come up with a formula to match.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
^ What Fubar said. You need to poke around the back of the fairings and look for evidence of a respray.

Also, paint fades and changes color with age. Even with the correct paint code, an exact match is unlikely. Further complications are not knowing what base coat was used and how the paint was applied.

Getting it color matched is probably the best you will do.

With all the reflections, I can't pick out the damage in your picture/s.

I know it is a hack, but have you thought of a decal or striping to hide the damage? If done right, it will look good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I know the fairing are after market but tanks Oem. I thought about vinyl because i have alot and make decals. But im not that guy. I have skills and like my stuff right. I know a little fading is going yo occur. But should be close enough. The only color names that i came up with are vigor blue or ybb medium blue #2 pearl. But not 100 % sure. 95% of my comments are about my color and want to keep her looking good. I just was hoping for a color code. Looks like i doing another color match but the place i deal with is hit or miss with have the time to do it. I have had to wait 2 hours before to get it done because i dont have anything small i can pull off and leave as sample. Ok. Thanks again i appreciate your help.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You can see what the OEM paint schemes looked like here. The color codes are the suffix's on the part numbers in the parts listings, though it takes a while to figure out how they work. Except for the K8 Rizla edition, the blue used on K7/K8 1000's is YKY Pearl Vigor Blue. Your pics look like something else but it's impossible to tell from pics. You could check at Color Rite or search for that color but the going will be tough if you want an exact match and the paint has been changed from an OEM color. See this for example. Maybe yours is the YSF Triton Blue used on the L7's, which IIRC is a "depth" paint that is a bitch to get right.

P.S. K5/K6 used YBA Pearl Deep Blue No.2 and YBB Pearl Medium Blue No.2. I painted my black K6 front fender with YBA and no one's ever noticed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can see what the OEM paint schemes looked like here. The color codes are the suffix's on the part numbers in the parts listings, though it takes a while to figure out how they work. Except for the K8 Rizla edition, the blue used on K7/K8 1000's is YKY Pearl Vigor Blue. Your pics look like something else but it's impossible to tell from pics. You could check at Color Rite or search for that color but the going will be tough if you want an exact match and the paint has been changed from an OEM color. See this for example. Maybe yours is the YSF Triton Blue used on the L7's, which IIRC is a "depth" paint that is a bitch to get right.

P.S. K5/K6 used YBA Pearl Deep Blue No.2 and YBB Pearl Medium Blue No.2. I painted my black K6 front fender with YBA and no one's ever noticed.
Hey 08-

I think rv6john has a good point and so does whoever mentioned decals and/or slight custom . I've painted a few and learned
even having the paint codes doesn't guarantee you'll get a good match. Not sure if there is NAPA nearby you but they've been lots of
help with my projects because some of their stores (the ones that mix paint) also have a big chart with tons of color chips you can
use for comparison. And once you come up with the color(s) you want to use, they'll mix a rattle can of reduced base coat
(use a spray handle to eliminate the possibility of your finger/glove marginally blocking the nozzle) then all you need to do is clear it
if there are no decals. I've done 7 or 8 of them (not all gixxers) at this point and have been happy with the results. Not an awful job
but IS labor intensive. Probably takes me 3 weeks to do one (if it has 3 colors as well as decals), although real professionals would get it out much quicker.

cheers,
bill

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks much for your help. Im ulmost 1 hundred percent sure the tank is oem. I dont know why they dont do it like cars and put a paint code somewhere. At one point i contacted one of the aftermarket fairing guys and asked them. The same set i have. and they would not give
me info. Dont understand why it is so hard. Crazy! Yet i have painted a few bikes with rattle can and then used 2 part clear. And your right it is labor intense but the results can be like factory. I have a place as i mentioned but it is a hassle to get a match done there. They are always busy. Im not big on decals. I try to do things right. Im anal that way. Well thanks again guys for all your input. Ride safe.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Years ago I wanted to add a K7/K8 tank heat shield to my K6 and collected some pics of it. These should all be the YKY blue:

It does look like yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts