Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a rookie road racer. My race bike is a 2006 GSX-R600. The body is hotbodies now. I started with the front fender because it's smaller. I figured out sanding it. Got the Primer to shoot good. Sanded that. And got the first coat of color to shoot good.

The Problem is I have to tape off the area for the number plate. I used regular masking tape. It left adhesive on the surface. I tried to clean it off which ended in disaster.

What kind of tape do I need? Did I just not let the color dry long enough?

:headscrat

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
The regular masking tape should have worked with no problems. However, to make masking an area much much easier than using masking tape, all auto paint stores will have this thin tape that it used to make sharp turns (I forgot the actual name but just tell the guy you need the thin tape to mask off tight turns). Once you have masked off the area with the thin tape you can then overlay regular masking tape on the thin tape to protect the other surface you're trying to cover. My first paint job was kinda complicated, at least the friends I have that paint cars/bikes said so but it came out great.

Before vinyl

After vinyl

·
Registered
193 Posts
The regular masking tape should have worked with no problems. However, to make masking an area much much easier than using masking tape, all auto paint stores will have this thin tape that it used to make sharp turns (I forgot the actual name but just tell the guy you need the thin tape to mask off tight turns). Once you have masked off the area with the thin tape you can then overlay regular masking tape on the thin tape to protect the other surface you're trying to cover. My first paint job was kinda complicated, at least the friends I have that paint cars/bikes said so but it came out great.

Its called 3M Fine Line Tape, and it comes in 1/8", 1/4" , and 1/2"

and its a must for doing and sort of color combo or graphics.

as far as the masking tape goes, use any 3M masking tape specifically for automotive painting and you will be fine. The green stuff is the best, but the most expensive, you can also get the cheaper stuff, i think its 2120 or something like that. its not the same stuff that you get at home depot for house paint, you will have to go to an automotive store..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.