Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i been riding my bike for about a month now, its a 06 600,
Gsxr gel seat
two bros slip-on
K&N air filter (not on)
Bazzaz fuel control (soon)

So im starting to get used to it and im not really feeling the brakes seems like it takes to long to slow down, does anyone recommend anything, as far as new rotors, brake pads, line,ect... if so what brands? thanks guys.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
The stock rotors are fine. You would be wasting your money on aftermarket rotors because they are no benefits to a street rider. Also, stock rotors are very capable rotors that can handle even some of that fastest amateur and pro racers. Upgrading the brake pads is a wise idea. The best pads in my opinion are Vesrah RJL or SRJL. Most common brake pad are EBC HH. They stop good but completely suck when it comes to feel. EBC HH are only popular because that's all dealerships and Cyclegear carry as aftermarket. EBC did recently release a new pad that does offer good feel but is twice the price (which to most people would seem expensive). Other brake pad choices would be SBS, Performance Friction, DP Braking.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Get Stainless brake lines. At least the front. Also, have you locked up the front yet? Until you do you don't fully know your bike's braking potential
Locking your front brakes is a sign of inexperience, lack of control, panic, or all of the above. Locking your front brakes is not something you should practice either because the results are almost always tucking the front

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Get Stainless brake lines. At least the front. Also, have you locked up the front yet? Until you do you don't fully know your bike's braking potential
Thats like saying you dont know a motors potential until you blow it. The whole point is stop quickly and smoothly without finding the point where you say "oh shit" squeezed a bit too hard.

·
Registered
180 Posts
unless you're at some lean angle when you max your brakes out chances are you'll be sailing over your handlebars from doing an endo rather than tucking up the front.

I did lock the front brakes of my SV1000s once when it was raining. I was only going about 20 mph and it literally fell right over lol. Almost no skidding at all. Frame sliders did thier job that day for sure :)

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
unless you're at some lean angle when you max your brakes out chances are you'll be sailing over your handlebars from doing an endo rather than tucking up the front.

I did lock the front brakes of my SV1000s once when it was raining. I was only going about 20 mph and it literally fell right over lol. Almost no skidding at all. Frame sliders did thier job that day for sure :)
Not true. Front brake locked and the front tire sliding will NOT endo. Thats like doing a burn out wheelie like in the fast and furious movie. If you lock the front brake up and the tire is sliding you will more then likely tuck the front tire. Lean angle is not needed, chances are you wont be exactly holding the bars perfectly straight the hole time plus the slide its self will tuck the wheel.

·
Registered
180 Posts
No no no... I meant you're more likely to do an endo instead of locking up the brakes under hard braking. Of course you cant do and endo AND lock up the brakes lol, that would be silly :p

·
Registered
376 Posts
there is a 2000 r1 in the shop right now that the front brakes locked up when doing 120km, it needs the whole right side of the bike as at those speeds it skidded until grabing traction and then endoed and went down on its side. quite the mess.

·
Administrator
5,586 Posts
The stock rotors are fine. You would be wasting your money on aftermarket rotors because they are no benefits to a street rider. Also, stock rotors are very capable rotors that can handle even some of that fastest amateur and pro racers. Upgrading the brake pads is a wise idea. The best pads in my opinion are Vesrah RJL or SRJL. Most common brake pad are EBC HH. They stop good but completely suck when it comes to feel. EBC HH are only popular because that's all dealerships and Cyclegear carry as aftermarket. EBC did recently release a new pad that does offer good feel but is twice the price (which to most people would seem expensive). Other brake pad choices would be SBS, Performance Friction, DP Braking.
+100
I changed out my pads when they wore out to Vesrah RJL I thought it had great brakes before but after changing them to the Vesrah RJL all I can say is WOW what a difference. If your going to change your pads I highly recomend them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.