Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 gsxr750 calif. I just added a Factory stage 3 jet kit to my bike w/K&Ns. Also Yosh race pipe. Cleaned out tank ect. Moved main jet size up to 125, needles are 2nd groove from top. Seems to be running alright but if the bike sits for 3 weeks or more the stock size 32.5 pilot jets are plugging up and the carbs have to be pulled and cleaned. If i move the pilot jet size up to 35 am i going to have a problem or?? Any suggestios on how to solve this problem?

·
Administrator
5,586 Posts
When you say pluging up what do you mean? Do you have gum, varnish, rust, dirt? Sitting three weeks is nothing and you should not have a problem unless you have dirt or crap in your tank. Also are you sure you don't have any water in your tank. I have let bikes sit for 4 and 5 months before with no problem other than the battery. Turn the gas on fill the float bowls and choke it hit the starter and starts right up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think its gummed. The tank was cleaned and properly coated less than 100 miles ago. Also carbs cleaned very good. New Factory jet kit. Ran fine but sat for maybe a month in the garage. When choke is on it starts up easy.Warm up but instantly dies when choke is turned off. Wont idle. The mechanic says pilot jets clogged. When i pulled pilot jets out they were about halfway gummed up. The hole is very small. So small i cant even get a thin guitar string through. So i can see how easy it is to cause this problem. It gets hot here in my garage and its probably somewhat clogged. If i move up one size is that going to cause a problem? If i can drain fuel out of carbs everytime i let it sit that would probably solve problem. But seems like a hassle. Why did suzuki use such narrow jets? The hole isnt much thicker than a hair. Wish i had fuel injection. Carbs are a pain. I wont buy anouther carburated bike. Thanks

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sounds like the coating on the inside of the tank wasn't given a lond enough time for it to cure/harden up and it keeps leaching into the fuel. At least that's one possibility. Could be a bad interaction of gasket material with cleaners or something like that. Might try changine out the fuel lines for a fresh start. How old is the fuel is another thing to think about.

·
Administrator
5,586 Posts
I think its gummed. The tank was cleaned and properly coated less than 100 miles ago. Also carbs cleaned very good. New Factory jet kit. Ran fine but sat for maybe a month in the garage. When choke is on it starts up easy.Warm up but instantly dies when choke is turned off. Wont idle. The mechanic says pilot jets clogged. When i pulled pilot jets out they were about halfway gummed up. The hole is very small. So small i cant even get a thin guitar string through. So i can see how easy it is to cause this problem. It gets hot here in my garage and its probably somewhat clogged. If i move up one size is that going to cause a problem? If i can drain fuel out of carbs everytime i let it sit that would probably solve problem. But seems like a hassle. Why did suzuki use such narrow jets? The hole isnt much thicker than a hair. Wish i had fuel injection. Carbs are a pain. I wont buy anouther carburated bike. Thanks
You should not have a problem just sitting a month. The only other thing I can thing of is to drain the float bowls when you let it sit or leave the gas on so as it evorprates it is replaced. Not sure how going up to the next size will affect driveability depends on how much jump in dia. the next size is. But if you have fresh gas it should be able to sit for a month without any problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything in the fuel system has been gone through. New fuel lines everything. I have the carb bowls off now and removing pilot jets to clean again. I thought a larger pilot jet would be less likely to clog up and since it has a stage 3 kit maybe extra fuel at idle too? The size of pilot jet now is 32.5 and next size up is 35. I will swap out fuel add stabil and clean jets/passages. Seems like alot of work after having everything done less than 100 miles ago. Everything was gone through by a top notch bike mechanic with a good rep and neat, organized shop. He says idle jets are plugged. And he is very busy now. He says fuel goes bad in as little as 3 weeks. I always use premium fuel from chevron or 76.:damn:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.