Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help finding out what to replace to make my bike charge. My bike is a 2002 gsxr 600 it stopped charging a while back because it melted 2 of the 3 wires that run from the stator. So i bought and replaced the stator, rectifier, and battery to be safe. It charged for a week and melted again in exactly the same place. So this time i got a metal wire connector and reconnected them where they melted. It ran and charged for about 2 weeks now they are melted once again. Ive already replaced the whole charging system so i have no clue what to try now. I cant keep buying stators for it to melt. The only suggestions ive got so far is getting another wire harness that has a new plug in for the stator since it got hot when it melted. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,386 Posts
Welcome.

The only reason there is heat to melt the connector is because there is resistance to current flow at that point. Otherwise a poor or undersized connection.

I'm guessing that you are saying the connector is always melting and not the wire itself?

The best solution is to solder the wires together with some shrink tubing to insulate the connection. I'm not sure what you mean by a "metal wire connector" but a crimp connector is second best as long as it is sized and installed correctly.

I do hope that you installed quality parts and that you checked the charging voltage afterward.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

The only reason there is heat to melt the connector is because there is resistance to current flow at that point. Otherwise a poor or undersized connection.

I'm guessing that you are saying the connector is always melting and not the wire itself?

The best solution is to solder the wires together with some shrink tubing to insulate the connection. I'm not sure what you mean by a "metal wire connector" but a crimp connector is second best as long as it is sized and installed correctly.

I do hope that you installed quality parts and that you checked the charging voltage afterward.
Yeah I tried crimping the wires thats what i meant by a real metal connector, not just black electrical tape. I really expected that to work. There must be too much of a current for it to handle being crimped together. So it sounds like i should get it soldered. If I pay someone to solder the connection and wrap it in heat shrink tubing will it prevent it from melting again.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,862 Posts
Assuming no other issues, yes. Do you see any evidence of the rest of the wire getting hot, or just at the connector?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assuming no other issues, yes. Do you see any evidence of the rest of the wire getting hot, or just at the connector?
Its just getting hot at the connector. Im going to get it soldered together an see how that works thanks.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I thought the heat came from a ground wire not being able to hold the enough current?
I don't know.
John and Chuck know their stuff, they'll get it sorted.

And as John alluded to: what brand of Stator and rectifier did you use.
As you may know, the cheaper/ebay/Chicom ones are known for failure.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,862 Posts
John is right. Heat occurs at the point of resistance. If the wire can't handle the current, the entire wire will get hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought the heat came from a ground wire not being able to hold the enough current?
I don't know.
John and Chuck know their stuff, they'll get it sorted.

And as John alluded to: what brand of Stator and rectifier did you use.
As you may know, the cheaper/ebay/Chicom ones are known for failure.
They're both suzuki parts. The stators from my other motor that just spun a rod bearing. The stator definitely charged that motor and the rectifier is also a suzuki part its off a parts bike it was tested.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The three wire stator connector is a common source of problems. If, when replacing a failed stator, you don't also replace the wiring harness side of the connector, you're inviting problems. You have to replace the terminals as well as the connector body but it's not hard.

It wouldn't hurt to be sure that there's no short to ground for the stator windings. Easy to check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts