Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just bought the down 1 up 2 sprockets. i also bought a new 520 chain. i put the new ront sprocket on and the chain doesnt seem to catch every tooth when i turn the sprocket. do i need a different chain? is there supposed to be a different kind of chain when i do these sprockets as well? please help.

ps. its a 2004 gsxr 600 if that helps

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope its a 520.. so obv something is not right.. i just dont understand y it owuldnt catch right on with every toth its about every 3 teeth

·
Registered
104 Posts
make sure you have 520 sprockets also. so say you when with a 47 tooth rear (+2) i believe make sure that its for the 520 chain and not the 525

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i just went back to the garage and saw that it said 525 on the sprocket... so i was going ot ask if theres different sprockets for the different sized chains as well.. so i need to take the sprockets back and get the 520 sprockets as well? damn dealer ships dont know $hit...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh and by the way thanks for the help.. one morequick question? should i take the sprockets back and get 520 sprockets. or take chain back and get 525 chain? like which is better 520? or 525?

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
Well the lighter the chain the and lighter the sprockets the less rotating mass easier quicker acceleration, the 20 and 25 is in reference to the weight. So it kind of depends on what your looking to get out of it I suppose.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well csd.. if you read up above.. it says that i have a 520 chain and 525 sprockets.. therefore thats why they wont work..

so :thefinger and that lemon comment.. my baby is well taken care of :arsenal

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you already have a 520 chain, might as well go with the 520 sprockets, it is more flexible as far as different set up you can have, -1, +2, +3 etc, also lighter but when you do change your sprocket size get a speedo healer, cuz your speed/odometer reading will be off. My bike had a -1 +2 conversion for a while and now it odometer says it has like 40,000 miles :hmmm:, but it is well worth it. With my 99 600 I am smoking 08 600, but then I top out a lot lower than they do, they eventually catch up,

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Well the lighter the chain the and lighter the sprockets the less rotating mass easier quicker acceleration, the 20 and 25 is in reference to the weight. So it kind of depends on what your looking to get out of it I suppose.
Does the conversion really make that much of a difference? I understand the whole less rotating mass bit. But will you actually feel it or is it just a "feel good" mod?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Does the conversion really make that much of a difference? I understand the whole less rotating mass bit. But will you actually feel it or is it just a "feel good" mod?

You not so much feel the weight reduction, but the actual ratio difference, and hell yeah, with my -1 +2 i smoked an 08 zx6r no problems, but he passed me going like 155 after I have topped out.

My bike was dynoed with a this conversion and put 105 hp to the wheel, and it is a 99. New bikes are rated @105-107 at the crank, but when the hp is being transfered through the chain and the "heavy" stock sprockets to the ground, you will only end up with like 95 - 100 hp at the wheel. So sprockets is def something you want to get, but the problem is, if the sprocket is aluminum it wears out a lot quicker, like once every season.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
No, it actually does improve acceleration. If you look at the specifications, good quality 520 chains can be had in tensile strengths that can exceed OEM 530 chains. The only real drawback it that the reduced contact area will wear faster, so you may get shorter life. It's a wear issue, not a failure issue.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
yea i just went back to the garage and saw that it said 525 on the sprocket... so i was going ot ask if theres different sprockets for the different sized chains as well.. so i need to take the sprockets back and get the 520 sprockets as well? damn dealer ships dont know $hit...
Ah, what threw me off is that you said originally you replaced the sprockets, so I assumed you put them in with a 520 sprocket kit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mister tee..

are you saying that the 520 cnains and sprockets wear fatsre becuase there lighter? or the 525 wears faster? im sorry ijust dont completely understand.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
mister tee..

are you saying that the 520 cnains and sprockets wear fatsre becuase there lighter? or the 525 wears faster? im sorry ijust dont completely understand.
No, I'm saying 520 chains and sprockets are faster (give better acceleration due to less rotational mass) but they wear faster than the stock 525. Although not by much.

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeah, but his issue with it hitting every three teeth or whatever shouldn't be becuase of the weight (ie 520, 525 etc). it should still be o.k. as long as they're both 5##'s. they'd be sloppy side to side not front to back if i'm right. which sprocket isn't matching? if one matches but not the other then i'd say it's the sprocket that doesn't match. if neither match then i'd say take the chain back.... stamps and labels aren't always accurate. and take it all back so they can see. that's what i'd do anyway.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
You not so much feel the weight reduction, but the actual ratio difference, and hell yeah, with my -1 +2 i smoked an 08 zx6r no problems, but he passed me going like 155 after I have topped out.

My bike was dynoed with a this conversion and put 105 hp to the wheel, and it is a 99. New bikes are rated @105-107 at the crank, but when the hp is being transfered through the chain and the "heavy" stock sprockets to the ground, you will only end up with like 95 - 100 hp at the wheel.
QUOTE]

Well of course with -1+2 you would smoke him until top end, but the same would happen with the 525 sprockets.

I see how it would make things lighter and faster, but I dont see how lighter would add HP. Thats like sayin removing 500lbs from a car adds HP. It doesnt but it will make it faster.

And you can dyno 100 of the same bikes that are all stock and get various number from them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well of course with -1+2 you would smoke him until top end, but the same would happen with the 525 sprockets.

I see how it would make things lighter and faster, but I dont see how lighter would add HP. Thats like sayin removing 500lbs from a car adds HP. It doesnt but it will make it faster.

And you can dyno 100 of the same bikes that are all stock and get various number from them.

All is I am saying is that you do not loose as much power to the wheel from the crank with lighter sprockets as you do with heavier sprockets. Engine output to the crank is the same, but horsepower @ the wheel (what is most important) will suffer from a heavy chain sprocket setup. An even a 2-3 hp gain @ the wheel on a bike will feel like 20-30 hp in the car because weight/hp ratio.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.