Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi i am new to the gixxer forums.. i purchased this 2008 gixxer 600 like a week ago..i was pretty busy so i couldn't ride it for a week, but last nite i took it her for a spin and after 20 miles of driving(after i stopped at a gas station to fill the tank) bike didn't start ...at first,i thought it could be the battery, since it was sitting at the shop for a long time; drainage seemed like a good reason for that(08 leftover i thought i got lucky)..wife gave me a jump start, and took it to the dealership today and i was told that i got a faulty R/R ...this is a brand new bike and covered under warranty hence it's gonna be replaced at no charge .. but my main question is how can a regulator/ rectifier go bad after 20 miles of driving?.. the guy at the dealership told me this is a common issue with 08/09 gixxers and they will replace with "revised" version of that.. however,after i read the threads here and there i learned this could be seen on any year mainly caused by heat (i live in florida, just so you know), so was he just giving bs? what if it goes bad during a long trip ? i am so frustrated b/c i heard ppl having electrical problems with their gixxers but never expected that to be this quick..i really like the bike over R6, CBR or ZX6R because of its design and comfort? what are my options? should i just return the bike and get myself a CBR instead ?( i heard they're reliable, even though i'm not a big fan of Honda)..sorry for the long post, any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
914 Posts
hi i am new to the gixxer forums.. i purchased this 2008 gixxer 600 like a week ago..i was pretty busy so i couldn't ride it for a week, but last nite i took it her for a spin and after 20 miles of driving(after i stopped at a gas station to fill the tank) bike didn't start ...at first,i thought it could be the battery, since it was sitting at the shop for a long time; drainage seemed like a good reason for that(08 leftover i thought i got lucky)..wife gave me a jump start, and took it to the dealership today and i was told that i got a faulty R/R ...this is a brand new bike and covered under warranty hence it's gonna be replaced at no charge .. but my main question is how can a regulator/ rectifier go bad after 20 miles of driving?.. the guy at the dealership told me this is a common issue with 08/09 gixxers and they will replace with "revised" version of that.. however,after i read the threads here and there i learned this could be seen on any year mainly caused by heat (i live in florida, just so you know), so was he just giving bs? what if it goes bad during a long trip ? i am so frustrated b/c i heard ppl having electrical problems with their gixxers but never expected that to be this quick..i really like the bike over R6, CBR or ZX6R because of its design and comfort? what are my options? should i just return the bike and get myself a CBR instead ?( i heard they're reliable, even though i'm not a big fan of Honda)..sorry for the long post, any input would be greatly appreciated
dont let this one part going bad give you a bad taste for your bike, it was just probley just a fluke. ive rode one of my friends 08 cbr 600 and i didnt like the way it felt at all. and that thing is a dog in the mid range, and i really dont like the way the dual head lights look from the inside (if your sitting on the bike) i think it just like :poo: i would keep your bike and just give it a chance. :thumbup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont let this one part going bad give you a bad taste for your bike, it was just probley just a fluke. ive rode one of my friends 08 cbr 600 and i didnt like the way it felt at all. and that thing is a dog in the mid range, and i really dont like the way the dual head lights look from the inside (if your sitting on the bike) i think it just like :poo: i would keep your bike and just give it a chance. :thumbup:
thanks for the reply, i exactly know what you're saying ..you're right maybe it's just my luck but on the other hand gas station was pretty close to where i live (if i look at the bright side , lol)..like i said i'm happy with the purchase and love the gixxer better than a CBR mainly b/c it's a honda for some reason i find their cars over rated same might apply to their bikes as well, many Civic Si guys come next to my Z06 and rev their engine i still don't get the point lol(slipper clutch, comfy seat, sexier look, more appealing instrument column plus got a great deal on that) and really like that yellow :thumbup: ..here are some pix of the ride

·
MPG mod
7,420 Posts
its entirely possible that of your battery was dead enough, it took out the r/r. making it work extra hard to compensate for the dying battery. unlike cars these cant handle high electrical loads and charge a battery well. make sure you have a fresh battery and keep a battery tender on it for extensive downtime to keep it topped off. other than that, nice bike and welcome.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Sweet bike dude, get that back tyre scrubbed in before posting anymore pics of it though!!! Ha ha!! Just playing mate!!! I don't know what anybody else thinks of this but heard you should really avoid posting your number plate on line. You know coz of cloning and such like. Or is it all just another piece of scare mongery??? IDEAS ANYONE????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, Tripsrad you don't really need to worry about posting your plate online, if somebody wants to take a picture of your plate and post it online all he/she has to do it take its picture in some parking lot..i've been posting my plates for years (bimmer forums,subaru forums,corvette forums) ..think about this what kind of advantage they might gain by knowing your number there are millions of plate number on internet..if you're street racing and/or doing illegal activities and posting your plate number that's a different story since i am not doing anything illegal i am confident ;)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
its entirely possible that of your battery was dead enough, it took out the r/r. making it work extra hard to compensate for the dying battery. unlike cars these cant handle high electrical loads and charge a battery well. make sure you have a fresh battery and keep a battery tender on it for extensive downtime to keep it topped off. other than that, nice bike and welcome.
+1!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
by saying that you mean my dead battery might have caused this (bad R/R)if so how can i make sure my battery is in good condition, how can i read the battery voltage(couldn't see it in instrument panel)? thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yes that is what he is saying. You can check the volts with a multimeter it should be 12 volts. But you should have it load checked for a dead or going dead cell and you can have that done it most any parts house that sells batteries like Advance, Napa, Autozone etc etc for free.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes that is what he is saying. You can check the volts with a multimeter it should be 12 volts. But you should have it load checked for a dead or going dead cell and you can have that done it most any parts house that sells batteries like Advance, Napa, Autozone etc etc for free.
ima check that out, TY

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you wana check it with a load yourself just have your meter on it and then crank the starter. When the bike is off you should get 12v, or higher like 12.5v. When the bike is running you should get atleast 13v, and up to about 14.2v with the bike running is good(in order to charge it, you have to put in a higher voltage, like 13 or 14). If you get LESS voltage when the bike is running compared to when its off, then you have a problem. Even if you show low voltage on the battery, it may not necessairly be BAD, may just need to be toped off on a charger.

Maybe like the Mech told you, they had a weak batch of r/r's. And then forcing this weak r/r to charge a low battery is what caused it to fail so quickly.

·
MPG mod
7,420 Posts
I would recommend a local bike dealer if possible first only cause they know what they are doing most the time as compared to some of the pinheads in parts store. Thing is you could show proper voltage and even have the battery test good, until you put a load against it thats when the weak spot shines through.

As a battery dies it begins to leave deposits on the lead plates. These parts of the plates are no longer usable and the more you do it the more the deposits build up. Eventually this renders the battery useless. I would make sure the battery is replaced while your at it just for cheap insurance. I have had the same battery in my bike for four years now with zero issues. I maintain it during the winter diligently and its always cranked over no problem.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have the original battery in my K3 and Iv never put it on a tender for the winter, I dont even disconnect it. Last summer I accidently left the key on and ran the battery COMPLETELY dead. Jumped the bike to start it and then rode it around for a while to charge it. Cranked over fine this spring after not being started for about 2 months this winter. Heat and vibration are harder on a battery then just sitting around in a garage. Same with my 4-wheeler, it would sit very long periods, sometimes up to a year, no tender or anything, and would crank just fine when I finally got the wheeler out. And 4-wheeler batteries really get beat up and jostled around, finally had to replace it when it was about 5 years old. If your stuff is sitting for so long that you have to put it on a tender, then you should just sell the bike.

Like gixxerfool said thou, it really needs to be tested with a load. You can check it with your meter and have 12.5v, then put the load of a starter on it and it can drop to almost nothing if it is a bad battery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah actually it's in the dealership right now waiting for the part..they told me they're going to order the part first thing in the morning tomorrow..when i go to get my bike i will also tell them to replace the battery as well to make sure..but i don't know if they would say yes

·
Registered
552 Posts
I doubt theyll replace the battery under warranty. Even if you can prove its a shitty battery, its a wear and tear item, not covered under warranty. Im sure theyll put a new one in for money thou, lol! If they make you pay for it, I would just buy it and put it in yourself, I bet they would charge you labor for installing it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I doubt theyll replace the battery under warranty. Even if you can prove its a shitty battery, its a wear and tear item, not covered under warranty. Im sure theyll put a new one in for money thou, lol! If they make you pay for it, I would just buy it and put it in yourself, I bet they would charge you labor for installing it.
even if there's only 20-30 miles on it?? :(

·
Registered
224 Posts
a good reputable dealer should take care of the battery if it is found to be faulty...when i bought my truck i got a faulty battery right from gm...the dealer went across the street to sears and got me a new battery. didnt charge me a dime.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.