Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good site or tell me how from step 1 on how to polish my frame. My bike has been stripped so i figure why not do something to shine it up a little since nothing is on it. thank u

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
HMM. Step by step huh.
Here it goes.
First of all, what the hell did you strip your bike with. Im the polishing god here so pay attention. Kid. :laughingr

Hope you have strong arms 'cause your going to need em.
Start with 200 grit wet sandpaper. Sand all the metal to be polished. After you have sanded all the imperfections out with 200 move to 400 grit. When using 400 grit change directions. Example, if you went left to right with 200 the go up and down with 400. After ALL the scratches from the 200 move on to 600 grit. Following the same instructions as above. Up and down, left to right. Do this from 600, 800, 1000, 1500. And if your crazy you can go to 2000. Thats not really needed though. Once you get all the sanding done you can start to polish with copmounds. Mothers works but is shit. Too much abrasives in it. Use it for the first application only. I use satin gloss metal polish as the final application. It contains a carnuba wax in it. Seals it real nice. Wear rubber gloves to protect your fingers because they will be bleeding if you dont. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I used 80 grit on a DA to take the anodized crap off. Then I went to 120, 180, and then 200. Take your time and make sure all of the previous scratches are removed before stepping up in grit. It makes all of the difference. But definately listen to Wick. He had an entire thread directed towards polishing before the "hack job," and that's what I used. My turned out FABULOUSO!!! I already said it, but thanx again Wick. :thumbup:

p.s. Got any photos of your frame Wick?...that thing is sweeeeeeeet!! :cool:

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Got all kinds of photos but this software wont let me post them. I'll figure something out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i too started with 80 grit on a d/a sander. much faster that way. i worked up to 600 grit with the d/a and then hand sanded with 1000 grit, then 2000 grit. then i used brown then white compound with a buffer. finished it up with some mothers and it looks perfect.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thankful

thanks peoples for the info, ive started and its starting to shine a little. Just still trying to get that mirror finish. I'll figure it out. :hmmm:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts