Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Polishing!

7K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  xtremereef 
#1 ·
Well, Wheels have been off for a few weeks but I just now got started polishing a few peices. Havent used a single peice of sandpaper on the wheel yet. Aircraft stripper and a wire wheel has got me to this point. Did a few smaller peices and they look pretty damn sharp..

What ya think?

See less See more
#2 ·
looks good man!! 2 questions though...what kind of stripper? i used to work on jets (F-15's) and one of our shitty details that got cycled around through the maintenance side (i was an electrician) was going down and help prep a jet for paint (i.e. sanding, taping, etc) we never had anything that was all that great for stripping! i wish we did though. anyway, where'd you get it? and how long did it take to get you that point? just curious. thanks. oh yeah, and the wire wheel didn't mess up the rim?

2nd question-more of statement, don't you think you should pull the tire man? that shit's going to eat through the tire or at least mess it up.

#4 · (Edited)
got a can at O'reillys for 10 bucks. Took about an hour to get the wheel to that point. The outside portion of the wheel came off instantly. It is messy but I was carful putting the stripper on. I didnt go all the way to the tire. The last lip is still black and I will sand it off. definitely easier to remove the tire but no need really.

No the wire wheel didnt mess the wheel up. the center portion is a little ruffer and I only used it on that section.

#8 ·
what's o'reily's? i'm out in idaho..is it an automotive place? hardware store? thanks. i have an extra set of rims i think i'm going to polish.

#9 ·
O'reillys autoparts??? never heard of that, should be a national chain.. Autozone?

its not easy to do, so be prepared. I've done it before so I've been threw the learning phase and how to get faster...

time time time and messy messy messy

#10 ·
that's what i'm asking cause i don't know if i've ever seen aircraft stripper at autozone? so i don't know what o'reily's is, other than the place where you said you got aircraft stripper for $10. so i just wanted to know what o'reily's is? :thumbup:

also i wasn't sayin that i thought it'd be easy, otherwise half of these guys would have polished rims. just thought i'd take a stab at it. i have most of the tools and stuff anyway so i figure i might as well. can't hurt right? thanks for the help man.

#11 · (Edited)
i wasnt being a jerk about it, if you took it that way. Yes O'reillys is just a autoparts store like autozone. They both have a paint and body section, its called aircraft stripper and it will eat paint off in seconds.

If you have a extra set, tools, and time, then why not...
I was just giving heads up. It's time consuming and messy.

#12 ·
no worries man, likewise, just didn't know what that store was lol. i just figure, i have an extra set and nothin but time so i might as well. thanks for the heads up though. post pics when i get em. thanks again. :thumbup:

#32 ·
Got the front wheel back on tonight. Sun had JUST went down or it would be shining a little more. Back wheel should be done tomorrow then just got to find time to get it balanced. Work all damn week.... :D

#39 ·
Polishing is a pain in the ass! So I'd say a pain in the ass. Its been down for about a month now. But it would all be about how good you could sand and not mess up the black where your NOT wanting to polish! Id say a PAIN!

#40 ·
lol....yea ill have to wait them....cause my bike is a daily rider....hopefully i can get my hands on another set of rims to practice on:arsenal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.