Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going Wednesday morning to look at and buy as long as the motorcycle is as described. I know the general things to look for when buying a used bike. What I would like to know is there anything specific or known to go bad that I should look/listen for? Just thought maybe previous/current owners would have some personal advice about things to check for that have happened to them.

It has 25k and here is the posting.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/1172578692.html

·
Registered
375 Posts
My buddy just bought a bike and missed checking the rims, now he needs new ones.
so make sure to check the lips for bends, or curb rash. You can also kinda eyeball the forks to make sure they are not bent from impact. Also make sure when the handle bars are straight, the wheel is straight (in line). Eyeball the swingarm, that should cover most damage from wrecks.

GXSRs do have a slight ticking sound to them, so as long as it's not too loud or knocking there shouldnt be a problem. Run through all the gears to make sure it goes in each one good and doesnt pop out of gear.
Look over the frame for dents or breaks, pull the farings if needed.

Thats about all I can think of. If you have someone that knows bikes, bring them. Just remember, your fixing to buy it and be stuck with it, so take your time and inspect it good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the information. The ticking noise was something I would have been concerned over if not told otherwise. I am confident in my mechanic abilities, as I have been working on cars and bikes since I could hold a wrench pretty much. Just needed a heads up on the nature of the beast, and what is considered 'normal' noises not to get alarmed over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my 2002 GSX-R 750 with 23k miles like 12 months ago and it's still running very well (now 28k miles), never had a problem with the bike.....just normal things like, change brake pads, change oil, spark plugs, etc, I think that the gixxers from this year are very strong :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
if u want to throw away your money buy that bike. 23k miles? really $4k really? i bought a k4 7500 miles and paid $4,500

·
Registered
91 Posts
im not too sure but i think it might not be a 750.:hmmm: the pics show that the bike has normal forks, but my 2002 750 has inverted forks and it was my understanding that ALL 750's had inverted forks. just a thought. someone correct me if i am wrong. I just don't want you to get screwed or lied to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
im not too sure but i think it might not be a 750.:hmmm: the pics show that the bike has normal forks, but my 2002 750 has inverted forks and it was my understanding that ALL 750's had inverted forks. just a thought. someone correct me if i am wrong. I just don't want you to get screwed or lied to.
good eye. i believe you to be correct, sir.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, darn good catch! So I would have to assume it has been wrecked and 600 forks put on. I am going to be looking at 3 bikes in total tomorrow but will have to look extra close at this one.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
if u want to throw away your money buy that bike. 23k miles? really $4k really? i bought a k4 7500 miles and paid $4,500
+1 I paid 1800 for my 01 with 19000 on her....

+1 Good catch! and yes you are correct they have inverted forks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Everyone is giving you very good sound advice. Ask questions about those forks, something isn't right there. If you need to see them for yourself (on an unwrecked bike) just google search 02 gsxr 750 or just click/copy paste this http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_gsx-r_750_2002.php. You will see a picture of a stock 750, then you can compare it to the one your looking at (and look at the specs as well).

Another thing to ask the seller is (and depends on if they are honest) if the valve adjustment has been done! If need be hint around to that question something alone the lines of "I heard the valve adjustments are pretty expensive on this year bike, how much did it cost you". Call a near by shop ahead of time and ask them for a qoute on valve adjustment for a 02 750.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Everyone is giving you very good sound advice. Ask questions about those forks, something isn't right there. If you need to see them for yourself (on an unwrecked bike) just google search 02 gsxr 750 or just click/copy paste this http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_gsx-r_750_2002.php. You will see a picture of a stock 750, then you can compare it to the one your looking at (and look at the specs as well).

Another thing to ask the seller is (and depends on if they are honest) if the valve adjustment has been done! If need be hint around to that question something alone the lines of "I heard the valve adjustments are pretty expensive on this year bike, how much did it cost you". Call a near by shop ahead of time and ask them for a qoute on valve adjustment for a 02 750.
+1000!!!!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
tru dat on the forks.............

heres what i think happened

1. engine swap
2.fork swap
3. 750 decals/plastics

it might be a 600 that he put a 750 motor in, but those are 600 forks.

be careful when buying a used bike, i went to check out an 02 r6 just to have as a spare bike, it had a salvage title, missing vin plates on frame, front brakes were going out and the clutch needed adjustment, the d'bag was asking 3100 i was thinking to offer 2k but he said thats too low so i went 2500 and he said no. i have a feeling he'll call me back. btw it had 10k miles, but with a salvage title u never know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, thanks for all the sound advice. I'm not even going to bother wasting my time on that one. Still have one more K3 750 to look at, an '06 Kaw 636, and '01 cbr 929. I'll find what I am looking for eventually. I'm going on an 800mi. trip at the end of june though followed by 1200mi. trip mid-july. so need to find one I am satisfied with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I loved my friends K3 750 the times I got to ride it. I think I love the twisties even more though so decided on the 636. Things didn't work out today and had to take care of some business so didn't get to go check it out. I'm going on friday though. Also the 636 comes with 2 jackets (leather and mesh), gloves, helmet, and ramp it will work out even better for me since all my gear is in Pittsburgh where I'm making the trip to shortly after I get the bike. On top of that the owner of the 636 was the seemingly most straightforward and honest guy I have talked to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.