Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. i just bought an 06 gsxr 750 about a week ago. it came with a power commander on it, which i presume needs to be remapped. the bike is backfiring constantly off the throttle, and the other day my fuel injection light came on accelerating hard out of 2nd. i have the disc and the usb cable for the power commander. im going to look into that in a second. are there any other suggestions? could this be something else wrong with the bike?

·
a real Squid (see sig)
84 Posts
Do you have after market exhaaust? If so that can cause the backfiring when you let off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have arrow full exhaust system and bmc air filter. i just hooked my laptop up to the commander and the map seems to be right. i also noticed that the bike will barely rev over the lean line. my friends 08 zx6r will go well over in the rich area when he revs his. also, my bike is reaching up to 227 at lights. i had an 03 r6 before this and it never got that hot while runninh. is this just suzukis (i might also add that i live in southern alabama where its in the 80s)? ive been told that they "run hot" but damn. and when i turn it off, it will get up to 232 and not want to start. is this normal? im about to rip into the radiator this sunday to look everything over. thanks.

·
a real Squid (see sig)
84 Posts
I think you may have a cooling issue. Mine never gets obove 224 and have never had an issue starting. If it is running lean could be why you are getting the light. I would download and reinstall the map. The back firing could be from your pairing valve. If you search on here there are directions on what it does and how to remove it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just uploaded the map again. still running lean. tomorrow my dad and i are going to rip it apart. if anyone can give me any other suggestions i would greatly appreciate it! again, im pretty new to all this, but im a very quick learner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, fan is coming on at 220. just rode today for about 30 minutes bike still seems to be running hot (the backfire seems to have diminished some, however). down the hwy its running in the 190's. when i get into traffic it gets up to 225 at lights and stays around 210 while driving through town.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Bro it seems kinda normal to me..

I live in Florida and my bike gets to 220-225 at lights somewhat often.

As soon as I'm rolling it drops to like 190s

I backfire whenever letting off the throttle as well.

I have a taylormade exhaust and powercommander.

I have my set valve and pair valve disabled.

I've never gotten over 225 degrees though, which is why I was never worried. The backfiring/popping people say is pretty normal with a gp style exhaust

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bro it seems kinda normal to me..

I live in Florida and my bike gets to 220-225 at lights somewhat often.

As soon as I'm rolling it drops to like 190s

I backfire whenever letting off the throttle as well.

I have a taylormade exhaust and powercommander.

I have my set valve and pair valve disabled.

I've never gotten over 225 degrees though, which is why I was never worried. The backfiring/popping people say is pretty normal with a gp style exhaust
When you turn it oFf does it get in the 230s? Does it have a hard time starting When it gets hot?

·
Registered
873 Posts
No never had any problems starting it.. I don't think its ever been over 225, 225 is the normal "HOT" for my bike, any higher and i'd be worried and making posts asking about it. I live in south Florida though its hot as hell always. So hot the seat is too hot to sit on with jeans sometimes.

I was worried about the "popping/backfirre" whenever I revved when i let off the throttle to switch gears it almost always pops or backfires... I made posts and everyone said disable the set valve and it should fix it, I disabled it and its the same. The other suggestion was get a power commander, I alrdy have that as well so its not that :p I used the taylormade exhaust map for the power commander.

I am considering getting my bike tuned by dyno people but I don't know how much that will cost, can anyone give me a guesstimation? If its THAT high i'll probably wait til the future after I get some track days, as I rather track ride some then have slight performance increase at this point in time.. spent enough money lately.

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
When you turn it oFf does it get in the 230s? Does it have a hard time starting When it gets hot?
Its going to get hotter by a few deg when you turn it off, its normal. Fluids and coolant stop moving through the motor and doing their job. If your at 227ish then 230 is only 3 deg rise and yeah mine will rise 3 after I shut it off. R6s have CRAZY fans, lol dont compare them.

If this were my bike and I wasnt getting def answers on here I would start reversing shit. Id start by putting in a stock airfilter because its more likely to cause a lean situation that the pipe, then id remap, and continue to do that untill I figured out what if any aftermarket products are causing the problem. Maybe even call PCs tech help line.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Would a custom dyno map on my powercommander for my bike be much better then the one I downloaded?

I installed the taylormade website one, which is tuned for a 06 gsxr 600 with taylormade exhaust, which is what my bike has exactly the exhaust other then that stock, its a show bike.

I know it'd be better, but would it be very noticable? I have backfires when letting off the throttle at high rev's even with set valve plugged, other then that the bike runs good, maybe a little hot but im in Florida.. and my take off from 0mph to like 20 is sometimes a little slower then I'd hope, like I gas it and it takes a second to rev hard, kind of like a cold engine , it goes away after riding for an hour and its only when im at 0rpm starting , no other times...

but would these things be fixed w/a custom dyno tune? Is it noticable you think? Even know I alrdy have a map made for my bike / exhaust..

let me get ur opinion

also what did a dyno tune run you guys

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would a custom dyno map on my powercommander for my bike be much better then the one I downloaded?

I installed the taylormade website one, which is tuned for a 06 gsxr 600 with taylormade exhaust, which is what my bike has exactly the exhaust other then that stock, its a show bike.

I know it'd be better, but would it be very noticable? I have backfires when letting off the throttle at high rev's even with set valve plugged, other then that the bike runs good, maybe a little hot but im in Florida.. and my take off from 0mph to like 20 is sometimes a little slower then I'd hope, like I gas it and it takes a second to rev hard, kind of like a cold engine , it goes away after riding for an hour and its only when im at 0rpm starting , no other times...

but would these things be fixed w/a custom dyno tune? Is it noticable you think? Even know I alrdy have a map made for my bike / exhaust..

let me get ur opinion

also what did a dyno tune run you guys
i went to the suzuki shop a few days ago and they said to run a bike on a dyno there it would run me 350 dollars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
same problem

i have an 02 gsxr 750 with powercommander, kn filter, and full yosh exhaust and i have the exact same problem. the bike runs like 225 at lights and when around 7k rpm it bogs when u get on it like its cold. also from like 10k to redline it sputters really bad and struggles to build power. any suggestions?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
**UPDATE**

just did a complete flush of the system. when i opened up the radiator there was a brownish mushy sustance at the top. did a complete flush (ran distilled water several times through until it was clear) put engine ice in that bitch. after that, did oil and oil filter change. just took her out for a 10min spin and she never got over 178 while moving. i ran on some backroads so after a few minutes i just stopped and waited for 2 to 3 mintues and she didnt even get to 190. god bless engine ice. now, to address the lean issue with my bike. i will be getting into the spark plugs shortly. thanks guys

·
Registered
873 Posts
lol jabez thats funny i just ordered engine ice 5 minutes ago.

I did it for the reason that I live in florida and my engine at 225 always (at lights) probably isn't the best. It says this can change its running temp by 50 degrees. I'm just hoping for a 10-15 degree difference.

I am going to flush my radiator and put this in.

I have a question though ... did you empty the "overfill" resevoir? How? Did it just empty itself when you pulled the tube on the radiator to empty it?

Let me know

also ordered a k and n filter for my next oil change, just did one 100 miles ago but just buying it for the future... also ill go synethic. I should of done it 100 miles ago when i changed my oil but i forgot and bought regular, I almost want to empty this regular out and put synthetic in but it'd be a waste of perfectly new oil i just put in :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts