Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
Yeah. They just declared a state of emergency here in Ontario this morning and the Prime Minister is going to make another address today with further announcements. All restaurants and bars, arenas, public libraries, etc. are closed. Restaurants can stay open for take out or delivery only at this point.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Remember you could always make more money or pay off your debt when you're alive & well. You can't when you're dead.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
What's really crazy about all this is that if you look at it from a purely scientific point of view, all this distancing, etc. is the worst thing we could do. At the basic level, we're an organism on this planet. Allowing the virus to propagate and kill millions would actually strengthen us as a species. All we're doing is going against natural selection.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,692 Posts
We normally have probably 1,100 - 1,200 people here at the home office; 63 people in Life Company. We're getting down to pretty much just management (yay, me!) and a handful of people we're still trying to get set up for remote work. Prior to this, we were just piloting 3 people for work-from-home. Unfortunately we do have some physical processes that still require someone to be here. Parking lot is freaking surreal. This is just a small piece of it from my office window.

lot(comp).jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What's really crazy about all this is that if you look at it from a purely scientific point of view, all this distancing, etc. is the worst thing we could do. At the basic level, we're an organism on this planet. Allowing the virus to propagate and kill millions would actually strengthen us as a species. All we're doing is going against natural selection.
When it's your turn to die you might change your tune. We have science to make us live longer or we would've never live past 50.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I went yesterday to buy as much fuel as I could store. Between the vehicles, cans, bikes, etc. I've got about 50 gallons for the generator. A freezer full of meat, two propane tanks, 5 gallons of kerosene, and a wooded area nearby for firewood. And enough "supplies" to defend it all. I'm on city water, but my parents are 8 miles away and are on a well. I'm good. This isn't the fall of society that everyone thinks it will be.
'This isn't the fall of society that everyone thinks it will be.' - says the guy prepping like it will be! LOL

J/K - Nice to be prepared.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
The Governor of North Carolina has ordered all restaurants closed for dine in as of 5pm today. Drive thru or take out still available. :cautious:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
My wife was asking me this morning, 'Why does this make people want to wipe their ass' so much more?
Da- dum, Schiccchh

I was surprised to see so much traffic on the road still going to work this morning too! Seems like nearly everyone is off, working from home, etc. Kids are home doing online classes, etc.

After this is over, we will have realized, most people could actually work from home, and kids don't have to go to school! Ah, the digital age!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
And to think, there once was a day, that there would be a riot in Milwaukee, if they tried to close the bars on St. Patty's day!

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
Typically Fallsview Blvd is crammed during March break. We could play ball hockey out there today, there is no traffic. I have been in the hospitality industry for over 25 years and 20 of that in management and have never seen a collapse this fast. I was management through SARS, H1N1, and the 911 events. 911 affected our industry for 6 years, this is tracking to be worse. I spent the afternoon reading the Marriott standards on how to shut down a hotel mechanical system. My wife just arrived home and is now out of work until this is "over". I may have a week left, not sure.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Typically Fallsview Blvd is crammed during March break. We could play ball hockey out there today, there is no traffic. I have been in the hospitality industry for over 25 years and 20 of that in management and have never seen a collapse this fast. I was management through SARS, H1N1, and the 911 events. 911 affected our industry for 6 years, this is tracking to be worse. I spent the afternoon reading the Marriott standards on how to shut down a hotel mechanical system. My wife just arrived home and is now out of work until this is "over". I may have a week left, not sure.
Sorry for the woes Tin, I hope they will keep their good people like you.
God bless you and your family

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
'This isn't the fall of society that everyone thinks it will be.' - says the guy prepping like it will be! LOL

J/K - Nice to be prepared.
My wife is on immuno suppressants, so we're more so in protective quarantine. Since we bought enough food to go a month, I just want to be prepared if the power goes out from a spring storm or something. That'd be a lot of food to lose. I just want to stay warm and eat without risking exposure for my wife.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Sounds like most of you are having a harder time than we are here but it's coming fast. Groceries are getting in short supply and work supplies are getting harder to get. Some is due to shortages and some is business closings & staffing shortages. Schools are closing, public events are being cancelled, we even have to limit groups at work to less than 10 even to just clock in. Doesn't affect us here at the plant too much because we just don't have that many people and it isn't a place people come to visit except for the occasional tour. Luckily most of us are classified as "essential personnel" so getting sent home isn't an option at this point. I wouldn't complain about a few weeks off for some twisty-road time though!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The downside is that the mandatory leaves are quickly followed with travel restrictions. We're supposed to be under essential travel only. So if I wanted to just go for a ride and just get out of the house, I can be arrested and/or fined.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If no one is able to get to work, how long will it be before the power, water and gas supplies are interrupted?

We are on unlimited bore water and all our limited power is from solar. We have been planting seeds for last couple of weeks with the hope to build a new aquaponics system. Looks like we won’t be able to get the supplies so am now looking at digging at least 1/2 acre of land to plant the seedlings in.

Shops are empty but at least there is still beer and wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
I have a staff of about 15 union employees and have laid off over half since Monday. Some of the guys are either older and at a higher risk because of age or health or have family at home who are at a high risk; I offered it to them first and most were relieved and took it. Now that they have closed the Can/US border to all non essential travel I can't see how anything here can stay open. The rest of the guys will likely be gone in a week or less.

·
Registered
567 Posts
This may all be over hyped by the media, and government, yet it may not. I am not willing to take the chance of finding out the hard way. We are very stocked up with food, milk, and beer. There are 9 people in my household, including 4 young children, aging from 1.5yo to 7.5yo.

We live out in the sticks. We have our own well, lots of woods on the property, and MANY conventional hunting weapons. This household will survive almost any situation thrown at it. We hope things never have to come to that, but this family is ready for it... Stay healthy everyone, don't take any unnecessary chances in public.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Sitting here in the clinic, at work. Not many venturing in either. Guidelines are changing hourly.
The clinic I'm at tomorrow- has signage on the door- ANY symptoms?- Go back to your car and CALL us for a phone triage to see if we'll see ya!

When I looked up the statistics of infection control in humans, and the no gathering, social distancing- it does work and work well.
Although this is not THAT bad of a virus, these guidelines should have us over this in 4-6 weeks- I hope.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts