Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Mod of the North
29,979 Posts
The switch needs to be in the position it requires when you test it. The kick stand needs to be up. The clutch needs to be pulled. Kill switch needs to be on. Etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The switch needs to be in the position it requires when you test it. The kick stand needs to be up. The clutch needs to be pulled. Kill switch needs to be on. Etc.
i have bypased kickstand switch (spliced together green and black&white trace). when i tested the clutch switch bike the i put one probe on each lead and got no read at all but i may have tested wrong

·
Registered
2004 GSXR 600, 1992 GSXR 750, 1983 XN85 Turbo & some Euro bikes
199 Posts
Like wrote before, if the switch is open you’ll get no reading other than 0.00 or an OL (out of limits) on your meter. You have to close the switch to measure whether it is working or not.

If it works you should see some amount of resistance show up. It would be better if you use the diode test function on the meter so it beeps if you have continuity. Then you’ll know for sure. If you have a really good contact, it could very well register 0.00 ohms resistance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Like wrote before, if the switch is open you’ll get no reading other than 0.00 or an OL (out of limits) on your meter. You have to close the switch to measure whether it is working or not.

If it works you should see some amount of resistance show up. It would be better if you use the diode test function on the meter so it beeps if you have continuity. Then you’ll know for sure. If you have a really good contact, it could very well register 0.00 ohms resistance.
Ok will do ill even clean the contact on the board with some contact cleaner but i will check shortly on bike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I’ve read somewhere about the starter spinning backwards…..aside from the obvious reversed polarity, it was down to something internal being indexed incorrectly. That was a long time back but likely the issue here. If I can find the article/thread I’ll post a link as it on another forum
have you bin able to find the link?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
just tested cluch switch on bike and it is working i just need to see how to wire it up if any one has a pic of an 89 750 with the headlight off that would help

·
Mod of the North
29,979 Posts
I will throw a video up later tonight with some good shots of mine.

·
Mod of the North
29,979 Posts
What did you find with the starter?

·
Mod of the North
29,979 Posts
That would do it. Test from each of the secondary connections at the solenoid to ground with the wires off it. From each connection you should not see ground and across them you should see a circuit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
That would do it. Test from each of the secondary connections at the solenoid to ground with the wires off it. From each connection you should not see ground and across them you should see a circuit.
will do i have a spare solenoid laying around some where that is tested good but im going to test the one on the bike shortly i think it is bad tho it is only 1 click then nothing so i may put the other one back on

·
Registered
2004 GSXR 600, 1992 GSXR 750, 1983 XN85 Turbo & some Euro bikes
199 Posts
Quite possible the contacts inside the relay are carbon arced. Generally happens when the battery runs low and the rider keeps hammering away on the start button hoping for a different result.

Glad you got the starter sorted. I weeded through around 90 of the 579 posts on starters running in reverse and still hadn’t found the one about the indexing of the components to correct it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Quite possible the contacts inside the relay are carbon arced. Generally happens when the battery runs low and the rider keeps hammering away on the start button hoping for a different result.

Glad you got the starter sorted. I weeded through around 90 of the 579 posts on starters running in reverse and still hadn’t found the one about the indexing of the components to correct it.
i have resolved the starter now im going to replace the solenoid got to order one off ebay i think next week funds are low lol

41 - 60 of 73 Posts