·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
working on brushing the frame.
cant stand polished
hate blacked out.
I do them all brushed
I have a vision for this bike I know you dont see it yet, but I think It will look good.
Now off to see if the 09 swingarm will mount, and throw the front end off the 09 on the bike.
09 reservoir, 09 master, 09 front end, 09 rear end, 09 spare fuel pump etc....
PROJ3CT Z3RO

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
09 front end sold, in accordance with the original philosophy of parting the whole bike to fund the dual 05 builds.
Upon removal and initial teardown of 09 engine, no damage or evidence of top end issues exist.
Like i suspected, with the brass flakes in the oil; it has a spun bearing and is not beyond repair, I may try to tackle that if the head does not sell to fund the 05's
Down to a 700$ balance and have two full 05's. The original plan is still in effect, build one track bike and one street bike for free
fingers crossed I make it to the finish line:nerd

Attachments

·
24,500 Posts
I 100% agree, I like the brushed satin finish. What are you using to put that on? On my build the frame isn't polished but it does have some pock marks and scratches from road debris. I'd like to re-do the finish with out polishing. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Whatsup bro. I started brushing frames many moons ago when I was deep into the Kawasaki zx7. The Factory race teams had a brushed aluminum finish on all the race bikes and Ive since tried to emulate that look on many different models. On a ZX7, you have to first get through the factory coating to reveal the aluminum. On say, a 05 gsxr600 you have to get through the black powdercoat and then the factory coating. I usually use a battery powered impact drill (ryobi) with a wire brush wheel attachment to get through the coatings. When i reach bare aluminum i switch to 120 grit and hand sand the frame in one direction. Thats the closest I can get to factory race look. I cant tell by your pics whether yours has a factory coating, it looks bare.
here is an example of one that looked about right.:nerd

Attachments

·
24,500 Posts
Mine is an 89 GSXR 1100. It is bare aluminum. It has been degreased and I was going to use aluminum wheel cleaner on it to brighten it up as well. The forward facing surfaces have nicks and dings I'd like to smooth out...I will practice on the scrap frame until I get it right. Yours looks great! If I get anywhere near that I will be happy. Thank you Sir, I will stop jacking your thread now.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
If it is already bare just use sandpaper. Sometmes the wheel can dig grooves. Post pics when you are done Im following your thread. Nice bike.
use a sanding block, i was taught never to use your hand as it leaves warbles in the frame.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
So, I go back and pull the engine from 600A. The plan is to sell the head and stator and anything else I can to fund the 05 builds.
Maybe this weekend I will put the good engine into the streetable 600B. Then I will proceed to clean up and paint and have it chilling ready to kill the streets while I build the track/stunt bike.
I have a lead on a 750 engine I may throw into the track bike.
boom. getting used to dropping these engines:nerd

Attachments

21 - 33 of 33 Posts