Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So sense the guy was so shady today (im buying my first GSXR, see my post in the new guys section if need be) I am going to look at a 2000 GSXR 750 on saturday. He wants $4000 for it, includes helmet gloves and a jacket (no idea if they will fit me) Has about 22k miles with no problems far as i can tell also what he says. Has some mods. No damage visible to the bike. What do you guys think? Im sorta new to GSXR and not sure about the value on them. Its right between KBB trade in and retail value

Thanks!
(Im not totally sure how to post picutres and im too tried to figure out at the moment. Looonnnggg day at work haha)

·
Registered
204 Posts
thast alot of miles on it, and to be a 2000 model. I think 4000 is alittle high. I got my 06 600 for $5200, had 3200 miles on it. The thing was literally brand new. Same stack tires, still stock oil and everything. I know its a 750 but still kinda high. And if you were going to get it, I would have to take it for a test drive, or let him take it for a test drive in front of you so that you can hear the bike run and roll.

·
Registered
862 Posts
also lastly bikes are going MUCH less than KBB's lowest estimate.

For example the $5300 for 07 gsxr 2k miles w/some gear is what i paid just a little while ago, came with fender elim as well. So look up kbb for an 07 w/2k miles and take $5300, the remainder is how much lower they're going for

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Well here is what I have to say... I paid about 6k (maybe 5) cant remeber for my 05 600 (purchased in 07) w/10k miles on it. I know have 22k... I put 12k on it in two years... 22k miles is nothing...

So after 20k miles you are supposed to sell your bike and or buy another one? My bike runs & works just fine, and never ever gave one lick of trouble!!! Ive also laid it down not once but twice!
Think about it these bikes have a redline of what 17k? These bikes can take a hit, they are race bikes/race motors. 22k miles aint shit. They last just like how a car should. Now once you start getting around 70+ then you may want to reconsider...

Buy the bike if you want it, sure you can find new bikes w/less miles, lower prices... shop around though. My 05 was a steal even with that many miles... The only bad thing about the bike you are looking at is its an 2000... you can find an 05 or 06 or something. Plus screw that jacket and helmet you dont want his old stuff.
You can get new gloves quality ones for around $55 a quality helmet for around $300 and a nice leather for $350-500 depending on which brand and the looks and you can usually deal w/the parts shops on the prices of the gear!

·
Registered
862 Posts
No you don't sell it after 22k miles.. but you don't buy it WITH 22k miles.. because if YOU did you'd have a bike with 40k+ miles, and no matter what you can't say that isn't somewhat high , at the LEAST. Look up the average life of a street bike.. most don't see 30k

And Aaron could of gotten same bike w/5k miles for $1000 less in my area .. his argument is these bikes are made to take a hit and 22k isn't much.. well why not get one with 2-5k miles and save a grand?

use the grand to buy your own gear if you want certain type.. sell the gear it came with.. jackets go for 200 and helmets depending on model $100-$350 all the time on craigslist.

I don't want to get into a argument , just saying if you can get the same bike for less, with less miles why wouldn't you? : ) You can make the decision i'm sure.

Someone on this forum paid $6600 for a 06 GSXR 600 with 6500 miles when I showed him an 07 same paint for $5400 with 1200 miles. He didn't believe me so he bought the bike he saw and the next day when I saw his reply that he didn't believe it I posted the ad (and I actually went and saw the bike is person as I was interested in it) .. so he makes the argument "Whatever I got the bike I wanted and that ad was probably fake anyways"... In my opinion this guy was just burying his head in the sand because he took a huge hit being unintelligent.

just my .02 and if you don't agree just ignore me : ) If you want help let me know your area and i'll check out 3 or 4 forums and craigslist/ebay for you and see if I can save you a grand

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hell no i like help thats the whole reason i asked haha. Let me know if you find anything. Ive been looking at craiglist mostly but a little bit of ebay and carsoup.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Look up the average life of a street bike.. most don't see 30k
It's not because the motors don't last, its the rider that usually destroys the bike

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's not because the motors don't last, its the rider that usually destroys the bike
+1

Also it is all about maintenace man...wasn't there a guy on this forum that has like 110K or something.

I am about to hit 40K...mines a 99 SRAD.....maintenance is essential.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I couldnt agree more. Miles are nothing on a bike IF ITS MAINTAINED. Like what was said earlier--most bikes dont see over 30k miles because they end up wrecked.
I would have the bike inspected before buying one with 20k+ miles but would buy it if it passed.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
+2 22k is nothing IF it was well maintained. The fact that it has no mods could be a good thing. However $4k is way too much. I only paid $4,800 for my mint K4 with only 6k miles.

But if you're still considering it be sure to check all the skid points for rash. Keep an eye out for gasket sealer on the case covers. Also check the paint. I looked at one that the owner claimed it had never been down. But during my inspection I found inconsistent "orange peel" in one area only on the gas tank. It had been down. Also check the brake fluid color. If it's clear then they probably do the maint. correctly. If it's dark in color.....maybe not so much.

Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

And last but not least Welcome to the Gixxer family! :thumbup:

Now if tranced's bike makes it to 22k I think we'll all be surprised. :laughingr j/k lil' fella

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'm approaching 66,000 miles, and my bike runs as well as it did when it was new, and that is no exaggeration. So if I sold it at 22,000 miles, would the buyer have been screwed?
+1 I bought mine with 19xxx in dec. and she now has 28xxx on her and runs as good or better then a friends 06 that has less miles but wasnt takin care of very well...

And yes 4k is a lil high... I would look around I paid 1800 for my 01 600....

good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Administrator
5,586 Posts
The first bike I had was a Honda 750 four and when I sold it I had over 88k on it. No leaks no problems the only thing I did was replace the cam chain and one valve. The cam chain broke setting at a red light and bent a valve. I abused that bike so bad it was unreal the throtlte was an on off switch even after all that it still ran great. 22K is nothing. My 07 has over 17K on it now.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The mileage is fine. Actually a little low for an 8 year old bike.

The problem I see is the price. You can get a newer bike, with fewer miles, for about the same price. You said he has some mods done. Unless it's some high-dollar stuff, I'd walk away and wait for a better deal.

And you da man hit it on the head. Bikes don't last 30k because they get totalled. My last bike had 42k on when I sold it, and it's still running around here 2 years later. Naturally, I took nearly nothing for it just to compete with similar bikes with fewer miles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.