Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RaceTech digital volt gauge install on a K6 GSXR 600

Here's a quick write up on how I installed a RaceTech digital volt gauge on my 2006 GSXR 600.

This is not a review because I just installed it and haven't had a chance to test it on a full day ride. Plus there's already a review on one in the product review section. It's just a quick thread on how and where I installed it.

Install wasn't to bad, just trying to find where to mount it and how also on how to run the wires. Not going to go in detail on how I ran the wires. You'll have to figure that out :Laughing:.I used a piece of bracket I had laying around, not quite sure what it's called :Laughing: I just spray painted it black to blend in with the rest of the bike.

I mounted it to one of the screws that hold the front fairing and stay together. There's plenty of clearance when you have the handle bars (clip ons) turned all the way.

As for the remote wire that powers it up when I crank the bike. I taped into the old servo power wire. You can see it in the bottom right side of the tail. I just used a zip tie to make sure the connector didn't come loose.

Here's a pic of the wires going to the battery. I also have a quick connect hooked up for my battery tender jr.

So far very happy with the readings it's putting out. 100% accurate with my voltmeter. If you have any questions just ask. Here's and end result pic.

My only complaint on the product was there wasn't enough wire. It really needed double the wire that came with it. I bought some more wire and used a solder iron to connect the wires together along with some shrink tube to make it water tight.

·
Registered
8,551 Posts
Nice! Can you put that link for it back in here?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Silly question, but why? I come from a car audio background and I understand the need for voltage monitoring in those cases, but what are you using it for on a bike?

Not trying to be rude, simply curious! Looks sick thou....

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Silly question, but why? I come from a car audio background and I understand the need for voltage monitoring in those cases, but what are you using it for on a bike?

Not trying to be rude, simply curious! Looks sick thou....
The rectifier and stator are know problems for these bikes. It's just nice to keep an eye on the charging system so you know what's going on before a long ride. A constant visual of the voltage will give me a heads up if the changing system starts to fail.

1,091 Posts
The rectifier and stator are know problems for these bikes. It's just nice to keep an eye on the charging system so you know what's going on before a long ride. A constant visual of the voltage will give me a heads up if the changing system starts to fail.
Couldn't have said it better myself six. I'm gonna start mounting mine later this week.

·
Registered
8,551 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
nice set up. i just ordered one. this is a great idea. oh and nice chicken strips lol:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
oh and nice chicken strips lol:biggrin:
Be nice to the angular challenged.

This is a FL friend of mine that came to visit with 2000 miles on his brand new 998. He left with a much smaller strip :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks awesome Jimmy and will serve it's purpose. Question though....

Why did you go with that one? Surprised you didn't get one with blue lights.

Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...Domain_0&var=580315059899&hash=item417ce962d0
Those looked cheap to me and they didn't have a remote wire. Plus didn't like the fact I would have to order from Hong Kong :Laughing:

The red lights don't bother me to much cause my cluster lights up red anyway.

·
Registered
8,551 Posts
Those looked cheap to me and they didn't have a remote wire. Plus didn't like the fact I would have to order from Hong Kong :Laughing:

The red lights don't bother me to much cause my cluster lights up red anyway.
That is what I assumed. Did you try to find a blue light one and couldn't?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Look closer, no chicken strips there. What you see is the rubber discoloration from all the commuting I've been doin
i know how this is i used to do my commuting with my bike and wished i could take all the rubber from the side that i was not using and put it in the middle. oh well.
anyway nice job i hope mine looks as good. i was thinking about getting the one with blue lights but didnt know if the quality was going to be as good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick Edit guys.....

About 2 weeks after the install I wasn't getting a good connection with the old servo power wire so I tapped into the license plate light instead. All has been good since then 👍
Hate to bring this post back up after 6 years but I'm looking to install a volt meter on my L4 GSXR600. Thinking of tapping into either the headlight wires or the park light wires. Are they a reliable and accurate voltage source?

·
SuperMod of the North
27,675 Posts
I just installed a volt gauge on my '89 1100. I used the switched wire for the running lights off the ignition. Instead of cutting into the harness I trimmed a standard spade connector and inserted it into the ignition to harness connector from the wire side of the harness plug. It was a nice tight fit and easily removable.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Hate to bring this post back up after 6 years but I'm looking to install a volt meter on my L4 GSXR600. Thinking of tapping into either the headlight wires or the park light wires. Are they a reliable and accurate voltage source?
Take a voltmeter and check the possible sources against the battery voltage while the bike is running. I suspect you will see a slightly lower voltage on the headlight wires due to the draw.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,675 Posts
Take a voltmeter and check the possible sources against the battery voltage while the bike is running. I suspect you will see a slightly lower voltage on the headlight wires due to the draw.
Yes, the headlight wires were very handy for my gauge location but were lower than battery particularly on high beams. The parking light circuit does not drop noticeably.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts