Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Ski has this done to his bike already so you may want to talk to him
Why is your bike running hotter than it should? Remember 215-223 is about normal and I am in texas so you know its hot as SHYT

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i put the two wires together ont hte thermostat and the fan came on. i wired a acc wire to that and hooked it up to a switch and the power wire from the switch to the battery just burns and the prong n the switch for the prong does the same what am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
what color wires are they? and what kind of switch is it and what is the switch rated at?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
black/white and black/red. i put these two wirres together and the fan goes on. the switch is a 30amp 12vdc. the switch has 3 thingies (ground,power and acc). I have a 2000 gsxr 750

·
Registered
127 Posts
I haven't actually done this mod, but it sounds like you are crossing the power wires to the fan. That is wrong, you need to cross the wires that go to the fan relay.

What I would do is go to the thermo-switch on the radiator and shove wires into the connector and then cross those wires with a switch.

·
Registered
127 Posts
rkrummel01 said:
sup snakes, how you been doing man?
Snake has been doing good...took a 200 mile ride with the wife on the back this weekend and found some nice twisties out in the open dryland.
How did your undertail turn out, I thought you were getting that one with the triangular light?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
yea it sounds like your using the wrong wires. I'll get the wiring diagram and post it up here to help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks snakes and ski. yeah ski if you can post it for me that will be great. and where's my relay for the fan?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
the thermo switch is going to be on the radiator. on the left side on the back.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Snakes600 said:
Snake has been doing good...took a 200 mile ride with the wife on the back this weekend and found some nice twisties out in the open dryland.
How did your undertail turn out, I thought you were getting that one with the triangular light?

i was going to do the triangular light but it was on back order, so i went with a basic undertail for now, as soon as they come of back order i'm getting it and just switching em' out so i'll also have a spair, they said they will prob be backordered until late september, but i'll put some pics up as soon as i can get my hands on one...later snake, KRUM

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hot In Here...

Funny..I was going to post the same thing. I'm working on doing this mod right now.

I'm guessing that I have to use a higher amp switch and a higher gauge wire. My switch is 3A 125VAC / 1.5A 250VAC

I guess i'll go bigger. Question though!? I was going to run power and ground directly off the battery linked to the switch then wire to the stock control to the fan? Good idea? or Bad? I guess I could run the switch to the ACC..but where would that hookup start?

Help would be greatful as always...

·
Certifiable Bike Nut
3,065 Posts
Saw an article on an actual aftermarket switch kit in "Super Streetbike" Magazine a few months ago, sorry that I cannot find it but I'm sure someone out there has a back issue with it. The article was "Mod of the Month" and they did it to an old CBR. Very cool and I'm thinking of doing the same. No need for our bikes to run as hot as they do in traffic.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Saw an article on an actual aftermarket switch kit in "Super Streetbike" Magazine a few months ago, sorry that I cannot find it but I'm sure someone out there has a back issue with it. The article was "Mod of the Month" and they did it to an old CBR. Very cool and I'm thinking of doing the same. No need for our bikes to run as hot as they do in traffic.
No need for them not to either. 225 degrees really is perfectly fine for your engine. In fact, they run more efficient hot.

·
Registered
924 Posts
It sounds like you're wiring a hot lead to the ground. Think about it for a moment. If jumping the two wires that go to the switch makes your fan run, the tap them both with the switch so that they are together when the switch is on, completing the same circuit that the thermal switch does.

·
Certifiable Bike Nut
3,065 Posts
No need for them not to either. 225 degrees really is perfectly fine for your engine. In fact, they run more efficient hot.
You're right to a point but our bikes do not like hot air. Keeping the motor under 107C or 225F is desirable or the excess heat will just super heat the air going into the intake. There is an air box mod called "Miracle Mod" that seems to make a big difference. Haven't tried it myself yet but testimonials look promising. Why do you think cars and bikes seem to run better at night? -Cooler Temperatures- Hot Rodders do everything from fuel line cooling systems to air coolers. Even one of the functions of NOS is that it lowers the critical temperature in the combustion chamber. I think the idea of this fan switch is just to keep the bike from going over 225F when riding around at slow speeds.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
You're right to a point but our bikes do not like hot air. Keeping the motor under 107C or 225F is desirable or the excess heat will just super heat the air going into the intake. There is an air box mod called "Miracle Mod" that seems to make a big difference. Haven't tried it myself yet but testimonials look promising. Why do you think cars and bikes seem to run better at night? -Cooler Temperatures- Hot Rodders do everything from fuel line cooling systems to air coolers. Even one of the functions of NOS is that it lowers the critical temperature in the combustion chamber. I think the idea of this fan switch is just to keep the bike from going over 225F when riding around at slow speeds.
The point of the airbox mod is to insulate it from engine heat to keep the intake air charge cooler (like as in an intercooler) for more power. This is problematic with most sportbikes as the engine heat is directly below the airbox. Insulating or relocating the airbox is actually a better way to go about it than cooling the engine itself, which slightly offsets the power gain from a cooler air mixture. It's the temperature of the inlet air, not the engine itself, that gives you more power when it's cooler.

We have temperatures in the triple digits on a routine basis here, and I've never had a problem with the bike going over 223 standing still at a traffic light.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts