Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 gsxr I’ve done some work to it like basic things oil, plugs, air filter and a new clutch cable but there’s a rattle when I release the clutch and it’s on going if I pull it in it stops has anyone else had this issue before?

·
Premium Member
8,319 Posts
Well I was waiting for someone else to volunteer an idea or experience but .....

I'm assuming this happens with the bike in neutral?

It could just be the transmission gears making a bit of noise or another guess would be that something in the clutch basket is loose. You would have to pull the clutch cover to check.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
?
Love how people tell you the year, and not the CC engine.
Must be a 600

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I don't have any past experience with the issue but I do know where there's an exploded view of the clutch assembly...(assuming we're still talking about the 2001 GSX-R1000 mentioned in the driver's license test thread).

Edited because I forgot that I had moved on to the view of my 750's clutch & posted the wrong link.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any past experience with the issue but I do know where there's an exploded view of the clutch assembly...(assuming we're still talking about the 2001 GSX-R1000 mentioned in the driver's license test thread).

Edited because I forgot that I had moved on to the view of my 750's clutch & posted the wrong link.
yeah its the same bike thanks for the link (y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I was waiting for someone else to volunteer an idea or experience but .....

I'm assuming this happens with the bike in neutral?

It could just be the transmission gears making a bit of noise or another guess would be that something in the clutch basket is loose. You would have to pull the clutch cover to check.
like examine the plates right?

·
Premium Member
8,319 Posts
like examine the plates right?
I really don't know. Those were just two wild guesses on the very limited information available.

When you pull the clutch lever back (disengage the clutch) the transmission primary shaft rotation will stop or slow depending on how much clutch drag there is so it makes sense that it is transmission noise.

Is this something that just started happening?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really don't know. Those were just two wild guesses on the very limited information available.

When you pull the clutch lever back (disengage the clutch) the transmission primary shaft rotation will stop or slow depending on how much clutch drag there is so it makes sense that it is transmission noise.

Is this something that just started happening?
No it’s been doing it since I got it and it shifts fine It won’t slip or anything just the rattling I hear it when the bike is in Neutral

·
Premium Member
8,319 Posts
I'm guessing that the bearing behind the clutch basket would possibly cause a rattle if it were failing. #11. Possibly #10 on the other side of the countershaft but less likely as it is good sized roller bearing and not as loaded.

The big question is, just how bad is the rattle and how concerned are you about it? Have you listened to another similar bike to see if it has a rattle also? For what it is worth, I've never noticed any rattle on either of my K6 bikes idling in neutral.

When you changed the oil recently, did you find any funny metal bits on the drain plug magnet?

Pro tip: The bigger the metal bits are, the less funny they are. :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm guessing that the bearing behind the clutch basket would possibly cause a rattle if it were failing. #11. Possibly #10 on the other side of the countershaft but less likely as it is good sized roller bearing and not as loaded.

The big question is, just how bad is the rattle and how concerned are you about it? Have you listened to another similar bike to see if it has a rattle also? For what it is worth, I've never noticed any rattle on either of my K6 bikes idling in neutral.

When you changed the oil recently, did you find any funny metal bits on the drain plug magnet?

Pro tip: The bigger the metal bits are, the less funny they are. :p

View attachment 293205
I’m going to do another oil change and pop off the cover plate and look at everything I didn’t notice any metal bits the first time around

·
Premium Member
8,319 Posts
I’m going to do another oil change and pop off the cover plate and look at everything I didn’t notice any metal bits the first time around
If you pull the clutch cover, just grab the clutch basket and see if there is any lateral (up, down, side to side) play.

I'm assuming the rattle is loud enough to cause you concern.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
How bad is it? My clutch on my K5 Liter gives a squeal every now and then when moving in first gear, from a stop. Is this kind of what you're experiencing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 01 gsxr I’ve done some work to it like basic things oil, plugs, air filter and a new clutch cable but there’s a rattle when I release the clutch and it’s on going if I pull it in it stops has anyone else had this issue before?
I have a 2001 gsxr 1000 and mine do it to its the clutch basket bearing I just haven't replaced mine yet

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Different bike I know but My 2012 S1000RR does the same thing. Rattles like crazy in neutral pull the clutch just a tiny bit and it stops. Its the clutch basket where the fibers go in the slots in the basket. Mine is like over 1300.00 to fix I ask the dealer about it they said it isn't a problem so I live with it. It only happens in neutral and shifts fine so I don't worry about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts