Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
4 people in 4 days? That is horrific. Slowly and slowly the statistics are becoming as worse as automobile stats.

Please be careful out there ladies and gents

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The best advice is expect the unexpected. Expect drivers to pull out in front of you, change into your lane, or anything else.

Also, IMO, stay off the rear brake and if you do use it, practice using both under sudden stops. I see so many people get into bad situations and hit the rear brake in panic. I think the throttle can get you out of more tight spots than the brakes ever can. I'm sure some disagree but that's the way I see it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
dude, I argree. If the law makers propose restrictions on riders, then we should together go on strike...cause we're environment responsible.
P.S. IMO, lane-splitting allowance is life saving, giving riders ways to escape if cages in front slowing down from high speed. I find it safer and practical to swerve instead of sudden stopping. It's useless to avoid rear-ending the front cage and get rear-ended from the cage behind.

When traffic is flowing, I never let a car/truck/whatever stay directly next to me. You never know when they might swerve to avoid something and either forget you were there or never knew you were there. Either speed up (A LITTLE) or slow down so they are not right next to you. Just some ideas. The more I keep reading about these crashes the more gear I keep saving up for. We have to shape up! I'm also worried that "they" are going to start passing some harsh restrictions on us sport bikes real soon if this keeps up. If it's harsher penalties then all well. Live and learn. But I would be extremely upset if they decided to stop bikes from lane splitting. This is a HUGE thing in CA. RIDE SAFE!

·
Registered
91 Posts
R.I.P my falln rocket brother. Now hes just surfin the cloud highways at the speed of the wind.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Before I pass on the highway during the day or if I enter high traffic areas I flip on my high beams... NOT AT NIGHT but just during the day to increase my visibility.

Also before passing and while passing I keep an eye on the passenger mirror to see if they look at me. A lot of times you can basically make eye contact with the drive of the car and get a good idea whether or not they saw you.

Using hand signals helps as well.. especially if you have flush mount signals. Of course if you cant handle the bike with one hand keep em both on the bars.

·
a real Squid (see sig)
84 Posts
I'm really getting tired of posting these, but it's necessary.

From what I hear from the tail end of a news story on 95.5, a rider was killed somewhere in PG last night when his bike slammed into the rear end of a tractor trailer. If I can locate the news story, I'll post it up.

RIP to the rider, condolences to his friends/family.

----------------------------------

On a sidenote, DC area riders (and everywhere else).... this is 4 people killed on bikes in this area in the last 4 days.

Let's get it together, boys and girls. There are so many of these crashes that, unfortunately, could have been easily avoided by the rider, or were caused by the rider. I'm not blaming the riders for all of them, but SO many could be avoided. It's sad. The youngest of this 4 was a 20 y/o woman.

Learn from these crashes and unnecessary fatalities.

• Don't ride beyond your skill.
  • Don't ride with riders who encourage (or seemingly force) you to do so.
  • Don't pressure a newer, less experienced rider.
  • To the total noobs, don't buy a bike that's not very forgiving.
  • Watch where you're going.
  • Dress for the crash.
  • Know that no one sees you.
There's a million more. Please feel free to contribute. I'm stickying this for a while.

Everyone, ride safe.
After work I am going to the viewing of one of the guys killed in DC this week. He ran a redlight and hit a SUV. Left 2 kids behind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rip

What can I add... life is short you only get one go around as far as science can tell. Treat your life like its the biggest, purest, greatest diamond ever found and everyone is out to get it, including some dumb rodent when you're opening your bike up out in the country.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If something doesn't feel right, when your about to leave on your bike (like you have a gut feeling that something isn't right) just take your car. And the hole listening to ipod while riding i think that's so stupid, i want to hear shit thats going on around me, not tunes!! Thats what my car is for. And you should always check your bike over before every ride. Just do it while your bike is warming up, you never know it could save your life or someone elses.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Only noticed said by M_Easy and no one else emphasized. RIDE AT YOUR EXPERIENCE LEVEL!!! I have had my gsxr for just 2 months. About 1200 miles. I have only found one sport bike rider that I am truly comfortable riding with. When a new rider tries to go downtown on bike night w/ some friends and he gets left behind while he's doing 120 it's ridiculous. If you guys ride w/ new riders, slow down. A lot of young adults r pressured to try to keep up with experienced riders when they get a sportbike and being young, peer pressure causes them their life. This is an emotional issue to me b/c I have a 150 teenage employs and b/c I lost a 7 month old daughter last year. Not many people know how it hurts and how it effects people's lives to lose one of your children. The parents of these 20 yr old fallen riders will never be the same. I have been to enough support groups and seen enough 250 lb tough guys crying for their teenage children that passed way too soon to last a life time. Hope this saves someone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
couldn't agree more with "ufcfan" i dont have kids but when i lost my brother my mom just broke down & still isn't the same and never will be. being a youngster i am guilty of "trying 2 keep up" & i have the scars 2 prove it...i was lucky, i have the chance 2 live&learn which isn't always the case. R.I.P 2 the riders that are the reason this thread was started.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Great stuff, people!

I would add: check your bike!

Just about every time I get on any of my bikes I check for loose screws, nuts and bolts.

It totally sucked when I found myself holding a grip that was NOT on the bar! That actually happened to me. It was very sudden and zero fun! Something else that has actually happened to me is having a part (in my case, a chain guide roller {and bolt) fall off and become lodged between the front sprocket and the chain. It locked the rear wheel at about 55mph. That wasn't fun.

So, please, check your bike before you ride. Once you are used to doing it, it only seems to take less than a minute and it could help you avert a day wrecker.

Something else I tend to do ... When I'm at a stop light, I find myself repeatedly activating my brake light with my hand. And I always flash to pass.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't listen to music in town! I see alot of new riders make this mistake.Don't block your hearing with loud music.

·
Registered
175 Posts
R.i.p.

Running into the back of a semi sounds like something you do if you really weren't following the fundamentals of riding, or even pretending to follow even some of them. My advise and I haven't seen it yet in this post though I might just be blind... Take an MSF course, Basic (and if you have been riding a few years Advanced) courses can teach you a lot about these fundamentals that SHOULD be engraved into every riders subconscious. And of course as said before... Dont ride beyond your ability!

All this sound advice from a newbie???... it's almost like... you should know this already... what do they call that? Common sense :thumbup:

Stay safe brothers and sisters!

R.I.P to the fallen

Reactions: Deuce

·
Registered
784 Posts
another thing that really scares me is that i see alot of rider allow them selves to get boxed in on the freeway. that is so danderous. never allow cars to surround you moving at those speeds. hell dont do it at any speeds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
x1000. Head-turning, twitchy turn-signal fingers, favoring one side of a lane suddenly, leaning in a particular direction, looking at a cell, not watching where they are going, a relaxed posture suddenly changes to an anxious posture- all telltale signs that something's about to go down. Great add.
I tend look though the windshield of the vehicle I am following and watch the car/truck in front of it. Most concentration on the one directly in front of me but if that driver is not paying attention the one in front of him could give away a hazard coming up.

·
Registered
425 Posts
When you look at a driver's eyes, and you see that they see you, don't let your guard down. Sometimes they look right at you, and it just doesn't register.

Whenever you go through green light, make sure that no one is forgetting to stop at the red. It happens.

Make sure you know if someone is passing you, and where they are going to end up after they do.

When stopped at a light, never make room within your lane so a car can squeak by to make a right turn. Don't invite a car to share a lane with you ever. If you are in a place that allows lane splitting, make sure you control the position of the cars around you. Watch the spacing and where cars might dart for a quick lane change. It is up to you, not them, to decide if it is safe for them to make that lane change. If it is not, you can position your bike accordingly so that you don't create an inviting situation that puts you in danger.

If you are with any group, make sure you ride your own ride. It is generally less safe anytime you are riding with others than riding all by yourself.

Go fast if you are ready and you want to, but do it right. Not in the neighborhoods, downtown, past open schools, near blind driveways, or anywhere that you don' t know the traffic patterns or conditions.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts