Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
great write-up Mr. Weyant. i already have a few books on order myself. i really enjoy implementing different techniques for shits and giggles and of course better understanding of feedback im receiving . im about to read (the Upper Half of the Motorcycle,Total control, and an unknown suspension tuning book). apparently i should figure that out first for a better understanding of everything in general. thanks again !
Glad that you got something out of my writings!

I would really recommend adding twist of the wrist 2 to the reading list. Total Control is good however, in my opinion, Twist2 is better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I realize this is an older thread but I have to ask a question. As I trail brake into the corner ( I'll use the corner at the end of the front straight as my example) I use my clutch to drop from 5th down to 3rd I'm still hard on the breaks and in 4th as I turn in and dropping to 3rd just before the apex. using that slipper clutch the whole time to controll the rear.
so my question: Is this not working in the same manner as applying a little rear brake pressure? the reason it feels that way to me is that the rear is so light that slipping that clutch and dropping down gears makes the rear slide out. smooth, controlled and feels fine, but adding rear brake doesn't seem like the right thng to do here.
2nd thought. you did say in CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES. if I'm giving an example of the wrong time to use this technique then please forgive my redicculous question. but also let me know too!

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,700 Posts
I've used engine braking when straight up before tip in but you're talking about using it from tip in to apex in place of rear brake? Seems it would be much harder to modulate.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,700 Posts
I realize this is an older thread but I have to ask a question. As I trail brake into the corner ( I'll use the corner at the end of the front straight as my example) I use my clutch to drop from 5th down to 3rd I'm still hard on the breaks and in 4th as I turn in and dropping to 3rd just before the apex. using that slipper clutch the whole time to controll the rear.
so my question: Is this not working in the same manner as applying a little rear brake pressure? the reason it feels that way to me is that the rear is so light that slipping that clutch and dropping down gears makes the rear slide out. smooth, controlled and feels fine, but adding rear brake doesn't seem like the right thng to do here.
2nd thought. you did say in CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES. if I'm giving an example of the wrong time to use this technique then please forgive my redicculous question. but also let me know too!
I sent a note to PS. I don't think he checks this site much any more.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yes, it think it would make it very hard to controll also. thats why I am also thinking this maybe a technique used in a different type of corner. like maybe the second half of a chicane when your not on the brakes at all but back on the gas varying the bikes speed to maintain the needed lean angle, say in a decreasing or increasing radius type exit, maybe here using both throttle and rear brake at the same time is what is meant. I can see how if your on the gas at lean dragging the rear may help extend that WB out just a bit more. just trying to wrap my head around the post to fully understand it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts