Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear brakes sqeek from time to time...its real annoying b/c my bike is brand new and I only have 600mi or so on it... its an 05 GSXR600...Anyone know how to fix this little annoyance...?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
shit my '04 600 has been doing it off n on since day one and continues to do it to this day...11K miles later hahah

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was wondering the same thing...I also have an 05 600 and the rear brakes sqeek also it did it from the factory and I now have 1700 miles on it. It happens less often now, but it still happens. :hmmm:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I was wondering, if anybody else's did the same thing... sounds to be a common thing...

·
Registered
91 Posts
diassemble your brakes and put some stuff that is called anti break squeal.Its commonly used in the automotive industries. You can get it at your local car parts store. What usually causes brakes to squeal is dust behind the brake pad.Under breaking it actually vibrates and cause the squeal.That stuff is really good. I use it on any car or bike that has any kinds of brake pads.
aloha
D

·
Registered
38 Posts
you may have glazed the pad (or rotor) from light braking or improper break in. Get up to about 50 or so and apply the rear break hard but CAREFULLY. do not stomp it down but put nice, smooth firm pressure on it making sure you do not lock it up. Do this while holding the throttle on so you maintain your basic speed. Do this for about 3-5 seconds and repeat a few times. if it does not stop the squeal after a couple of attempts, try something else. By the way, a good way to stop the rear from making noise is not to use it. Fronts have all your stopping power- back is good for holding you still at a stoplight and parking in the garage.

·
Registered
642 Posts
mikeb12 said:
you may have glazed the pad (or rotor) from light braking or improper break in. Get up to about 50 or so and apply the rear break hard but CAREFULLY. do not stomp it down but put nice, smooth firm pressure on it making sure you do not lock it up. Do this while holding the throttle on so you maintain your basic speed. Do this for about 3-5 seconds and repeat a few times. if it does not stop the squeal after a couple of attempts, try something else. By the way, a good way to stop the rear from making noise is not to use it. Fronts have all your stopping power- back is good for holding you still at a stoplight and parking in the garage.
70% Front
30% Rear

or so I read

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh I know about the 70/30 and I hardly ever use my rear...I just apply a little pressure when stopping, which is when it starts to sqeek...If I apply more pressure it goes away...

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I'm all about the rear brake. I'd rather replace 2 pads than replace 8 pads. HAHA :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
i feather my rear break when i have the bike in a lower gear in hard cornering to keep the bike from being twitchy if i have to adjust the throttle. i guess it puts more load on the wheels so the weight doesn't shift around as much. i dunno really i haven't been riding for very long. i also use it when i dont want to wheelie anymore

that's wierd cause my 750 started squeeking after my first highway trip i took. kinda stopped now (300 mi later)
:hammer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.