Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2016 750 with a 200/55r17 tire and it rubs against the rear hugger. Any suggestions that don’t require taking it off or getting a smaller tire? Do they make different sized huggers?

·
Dad Bod Super Mod
27,814 Posts
I had a quick look at the part on line. It looks like it fastens to the inside of the swing arm. Is there enough space at the side of the tire to put a couple washers between the mounting point and the inside of the swing arm? By doing so I am trying to get the hugger to bow upwards in the middle and away from the tire.

Another less ideal solution would be to slot the holes out on the two rear mounting points so you could lift the hugger up off the tire. Either way isn't going to get you much but may help. Ideally you would be getting back to a 180 or 190 tire.

Unless they have swapped in a wider rim, a 200 tire is getting squeezed and will be a higher oval than the profile it was intended to have. This is one reason it is dragging. It also will affect how the bike drops into corners and may accentuate tire wear in the center of the tread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a quick look at the part on line. It looks like it fastens to the inside of the swing arm. Is there enough space at the side of the tire to put a couple washers between the mounting point and the inside of the swing arm? By doing so I am trying to get the hugger to bow upwards in the middle and away from the tire.

Another less ideal solution would be to slot the holes out on the two rear mounting points so you could lift the hugger up off the tire. Either way isn't going to get you much but may help. Ideally you would be getting back to a 180 or 190 tire.

Unless they have swapped in a wider rim, a 200 tire is getting squeezed and will be a higher oval than the profile it was intended to have. This is one reason it is dragging. It also will affect how the bike drops into corners and may accentuate tire wear in the center of the tread.
Thanks! I’ll look into that. I want to put the carbon fiber one on there. It looks like it has more clearance than the stock hugger. But if that rubs too. I might just leave the stock on until the tire wears. Then go back to 190 or 180

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I recently bought a 2016 750 with a 200/55r17 tire and it rubs against the rear hugger. Any suggestions that don’t require taking it off or getting a smaller tire? Do they make different sized huggers?
Thanks! I’ll look into that. I want to put the carbon fiber one on there. It looks like it has more clearance than the stock hugger. But if that rubs too. I might just leave the stock on until the tire wears. Then go back to 190 or 180
First of all, welcome to the site.

Second- get that 200 Off there! You bought it that way?

My k5(2005) 1000 runs a 190/50 tire. I've been running a 190/55 with NO problems however.
I don't know much (Ok, no comments from the double masker section), but
I'm pretty sure your tire size on a 2016 GSX-R750 is a 180 width.
There was a LOT of R&D that went into coming up with that tire size. A LOT.
Go with the stock size. Why was it changed? Let me guess- it looked cooler?

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the bike with the 200/55 on it. So if I gotta replace them at the end of the day. It’s not like I wasted my money on tires

My k5(2005) 1000 runs a 190/50 tire. I've been running a 190/55 with NO problems however.
it was on there when I bought it. He said he went larger cause he had a -1/+2 sprocket change and it’s ECU flashed. So the larger tire was to put more power down. Yes. Stock is 180/55 the 200/55 isn’t bad. Doesn’t rub on the swing arm or anything else except the top of the tire hitting the hugger. I’m cool with going to 180 or 190 but everything I’ve seen says a 200 is fine.

if it comes down to it. I’ll buy OEM size tires. Not too big of a deal. I was just wondering seeing if they made huggers for larger tires.

·
Dad Bod Super Mod
27,814 Posts

Fact check:
initiating Fact Check Protocol

FCP line 1 - confirmed accurate 98%
FCP line 2 - confirmed accurate 98%
FCP line 3 - confirmed accurate 98%
FCP line 4 - ERROR - total can not exceed 100%
ERROR
ERROR
ERROR

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fact check:
initiating Fact Check Protocol

FCP line 1 - confirmed accurate 98%
FCP line 2 - confirmed accurate 98%
FCP line 3 - confirmed accurate 98%
FCP line 4 - ERROR - total can not exceed 100%
ERROR
ERROR
ERROR
??

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I think Tin was messing with me and my post, not you.

OP- you sound like you have it under control.
As has been said, when you put that wide of a tire on that rim width, it also raises the center some, So does the 55 from a 50. So now you have like a 60 profile height.

Everyone (some, many) run a -1/+2 sprokets. By putting that rear tire on however, it's close to stock gearing again,.
If you had speedometer reading before and after- that would proven it.

* Case in point- I have a 520 conversion with -1/+1 sprockets. But because I went to a taller profile tire (50 to a 55), that erased most all of the gearing change anyways. I checked it before and after the change.

Good luck, wear gear, stay safe brother!

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think Tin was messing with me and my post, not you.

OP- you sound like you have it under control.
As has been said, when you put that wide of a tire on that rim width, it also raises the center some, So does the 55 from a 50. So now you have like a 60 profile height.

Everyone (some, many) run a -1/+2 sprokets. By putting that rear tire on however, it's close to stock gearing again,.
If you had speedometer reading before and after- that would proven it.

* Case in point- I have a 520 conversion with -1/+1 sprockets. But because I went to a taller profile tire (50 to a 55), that erased most all of the gearing change anyways. I checked it before and after the change.

Good luck, wear gear, stay safe brother!
I appreciate all of you guys. Like I said. I’ll just throw on a 180/55 when I go to replace them. Bike only has 4K miles with brand new (0 miles) tires. I could always sell them and just put stock ones on!! Again. Thanks for the help guys

·
Dad Bod Super Mod
27,814 Posts
Yeah, I was just messing with Mr Sails, sorry for the thread Jack.

There is a web site called Gearing Commander that will work out all the possibilities of tire and gearing set ups and let you know the difference to the stock set up. It is a great site for what Todd mentioned about tires affecting final ratio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts