Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey also on my 2013 750 I decided to try and takeoff the ugly passenger pegs.
All four of the bolts were loctited in and I ended up getting one of them out the other three were stripped pretty good so I tried to hit it with a Dremel tool to create a slit to use a flat head on. So far you can tell this hasn’t been successful because I’m posting here. If anyone has any ideas to get this thing out please help

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
Heat would have helped soften the loctite.

As I remember, these are hex head cap screws that are a bit recessed in the mount.

I would just drill the heads off, slide the mount off and use visegrips to remove the stubs sticking out. (heat if they don't move easily).

They are 8mm screws so 5/16" drill should work.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
684 Posts
Loctite weakens with heat but you need to be careful as there's plastics and painted parts in the vicinity. In fact I assume that your screws thread into the rear frame rails, which are probably painted black. I further assume that the screw head sits inside a recess on the footrest that restricts access to it. Slitting the head with a carbide burr on a Dremel isn't a bad way. Their abrasive wheels are nice but you won't be able to get them into the recess. It will leave you with a huge slot that a very large screwdriver will turn. Check the backside of the frame rail to see how thick the rail is. As I recall on my K6 the rail isn't very thick and the screw threaded through it and beyond (this is old recollection). Some penetrating oil on the backside may help. I'd be inclined to try removing any nearby plastics, slitting the head, heating things as much as you dare, and turning it. Depending on the thickness of the peg mounting boss, you could drill the head until the peg comes off and use a vice grip on the stub. But the stub must be long enough to get a grip on. An alternate approach is to grind the peg away until you can get a vice grip around the head of the screw. This is simple but sacrifices the peg. I'd rather have a wrecked peg than a frame rail with the stub of a bolt stuck in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts