Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went down one tooth on the front on the 03' 600 at about 1800 miles, i do believe that tomorrow i'm going to purchase a new rear sprocket +1 tooth, the bike now has 3200 miles on it, should i do a chain conversion or is this well enough to keep my stock chain, throw some opinions or advice at me, also correct me if i'm wrong but my stock chain is 510 or 530, or either, all in all i'm going to get the sprocket so do i need to replace the chain? and if so which setup would be suitable. thanks bro's, KRUM :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Stock chain size on a 600 is 525. With 3000 miles on the bike it isn't necessary to replace everything, you can change just the rear sprocket and not have any problems. Remember 1 tooth in the front is like 3 in the rear.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 0.02

change your sprokets if U want, regear your bike to 520, less drag and U can feel it. and if twisties is your thing higher gears suits better.

my bike is a Gsxr 600 - 2003
gears 14,15,16 / 48 chain 520

Ride Safe........ :thumbup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah, I have been thinking about the same thing. I have 11K on the bike and the chain is a little kinky.
Is it a good idea to do the conversion to 520?
What is the best brand chain and sprockets?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Snakes600 said:
Yeah, I have been thinking about the same thing. I have 11K on the bike and the chain is a little kinky.
Is it a good idea to do the conversion to 520?
What is the best brand chain and sprockets?
after that long I would suggest changing all 3, and 520 wil help. I like RK chains and Renthal sprockets but almost any chain/sprocket combo is good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Golden chains.

mine is gold colored and as long as U keep it very clean it looks AWSOME....

just remember if U gear it too short ( 14/48 ) wheelie prone. and trottle sensitive, have to be very smooth with your trottle movement. and if you are turning and you have to cut on your gas bike tends to tuck in. (very alike you have a higher compresion ratio.

PD. tre mode is a must.

·
Registered
104 Posts
my mistake....

not higher compresion ratio..... more or less like a engine braking

Apologies..

Ride Safe......... :thumbup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
To Coquito.......

Location.. Guatemala City (Capital)

Good to know that.... Hola Paisano.. say Hello to Mom....

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i know one down front is like three up in rear, thats why i only wen't one down in front, but i'm going to go only +1 in the rear now, that said after dropping the tooth in the front i had to tighten the chain to the 2nd to last notch on the swingarm, so will the +1 rear need new chain, wait i just answered my question, if the chain is a bit long now after putting a bigger sprocket on the rear it would equal out, that is if the diameter of the sprocket is a smidge bigger.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
it will be a bit bigger. that will help. :infrandom

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks bro, i'm ready to get that cd and put it in my :arsenal , but thanks for the help w/ the sprocket issue.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
no prob man, you shoud have it tomorrow probably.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
everyone speaks of this 520 conversion, what is stock #'s? Ski, break this down for me the whole thing if you don't mind. :D

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Well they make chains for motorcycles street and dirt ranging from about 428-630 the most common on streetbikes are 520, 525, and 530. The 530 is going to heavier duty, and usually have a higher tensile strenght. The 530 is also a considerable difference in weight compared to the 520. well if you think about it, the chain is wider, so the sprockets are going to have to be wider, which in turn they are going to be heavier also. all this weight we are talking about is Rotating mass, or Unsprung weight, which is weight that is moving. Unsprung weight makes a bigger difference because it feels like more weight than it actually is. If you hold a 520 and 530 chain, same number of links you can feel the difference in chain weight, well if its 1 lb of actual weight difference, just think about how much weight it will feel like while rotating. Most people go to a 520 kit because. #1. 520 is more readily available. #2. Because your saving weight and rotation mass. and you can find 520 chains that are going to have a tensile strength very close to 530 chains. Unless you are on a 1000, you don't need to worry about the strength of the chain. Hope this helps, might be too much reading or not very clear, just let me know.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
oh and the stock 600's are 525 chains.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well if the stock chain is a 525 why would people wan't to drop to a 520? seems like you would have more chance of popping a chain. anyways my setup will be stock chain....-1 front sprocket and +1 or 2 rear, sounds good to me huh? i've got time to decide b/c i wen't up to the cycle shop 2day bought a 46t rear put it up on the stand, got the rear sprock off wen't to put the new one on and whata ya know, dont fit, so 2marra i gotta go back and get the correct one i just havent decided on 46 or 47, it's confusing me b/c i'm allready 15 front and i dont wanna be a wheelie freako, i don't think the 47 will be to much but who knows i might come home with the 46 again, anyways thanks 4 breakin that conversion info down for me. Later bro, KRUM

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Well like I said on a 600 and 750 you don't have to worry about snapping a chain, they don't have enough power to do it to a 520 but you are saving quite a bit of weight. now on the 1000 thats a little different story.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
well stock comes 530, but you can find 520's with the tensile strength to withstand a 1000. Just have to compare the stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts