Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'd go with the pilot sport, sooo sticky, it heats up after about 2 miles and stays warm for a long time, love it.

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
I like the Michelin Pilot Powers- They are going to take the place of the Pilot Sports when they get discontinued.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I recommend Bridgestone BT014's, I ran about 4 sets of Michelin before I realized they were a waste of money sure they are a good tire, but they last nowhere near as long as the Bridgestone. You can get 2 BT's for the price of one Michelin, I have 3 friends that have converted as well.

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
I've run the bridgstones and they don't last any longer than the Pilots do, and the pilots are a lot more sticky and better grip.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You say you have a dunlop on the front? What kind of shape is it in? You may want to put a matching dunlop on back for now, and then when worn out replace both with another brand or you may like the dunlops...its up to you and your budget, but I would suggest either the Bridgestone BT014's or the Michelin Pilot Powers...Metzeler aren't bad either but I think they are even more than the Michelin

·
Registered
526 Posts
i had the dunlop stock then went to battleaxes and now on metzler m1s. the m1 was cheaper than the pilot powers and i will be going to those next. as far as tred life thats the price u pay when u want soft sticky rubber... u have to consider how u use the bike the most. if u use it to ride back and forth to work alot then a dualcompound might be best, i think they had a battleaxe 020 that was dual compound. but i cant remember right off hand. if ur like me and u ride to work and dont mind spending the extra money new tires more often then go for the super sticky tires. i always wear the middle out b4 i wear the sides out. but as far as mismatched tires. its not that big of a deal to me, i have the m1 on back and the battleaxe up front, but when i go to the pilot powers in a few weeks im buying 2. cant wait for warmer weather so i can really heat them up! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You are fine running two different brands. In a RACE situation it is not recommended as they are pushing to the limits of traction, and a slight variance in traction can make the bike unpredictable at the edge.

For street applications you are fine though.

I use either Pirrelli or Metzelers... they are the same thing, different tread pattern.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i know when i put a new tire on the rear of my bike the mechanic at the dealer told me that mixing tires wasnt so good. the tire on the front and the back should be equally sticky otherwise one might want to give out before the other in a tight corner. But he also said different companies have different feelings on that theory. so i ended up replacing my shitty dunlop sport touring with the same thing because i couldnt afford 2 new tires. but i also wanted to go from a sport touring tire to a stcikier sport tire..... now i wished i had waited till i could afford 2 tires......................... i somehow managed to completely skip over the post above before i made this one :damn:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
What you speak of billetbong is a bit different. You wanted to go from a sport touring to a full on sport, and that I would not recommend because there it a significant difference in traction there. But from one brand of sport tire to another it is minimal until you get to the limits of traction (which almost none of us ever do on the street)

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
The HPX is made for High Horsepower High speed bikes, like literbikes and Busa's. It has a tougher carcass so its supposed to not come apart at high speeds. I run the normals tires and haven't topped out my 1000 and never had a problem. Maybe if you had a souped up busa or turbo'ed 1000 then I'd worry about it.

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
you can but I wouldn't suggest it. You'll have slower turn in. I ride a thou comes with a 190 stock and I switched to a 180.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.