Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Does the bearing spacer in the cush drive sit a bit proud of the cush drive body? I've seen wobbles like this caused by a damaged spacer from being overtorqued, or a chain being too tight and actually mushrooming the spacer on one side. If you pull the spacer and put a caliper on it is it square all the way around?

·
Registered
2013 GSX-R 600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey chuckster - It is, checked this yesterday in fact. Looked at both the diameter and length. It also sits flat once seated. When this spacer is installed, the drum will wobble on the hub (not mounted). If I remove this spacer, the drum will not wobble on the hub. This has me thinking one of the three bearings may not be aligned correctly preventing everything from being perfectly flat against one another, which is what I am pursuing at this point.

·
Super Moderator
9,206 Posts
If I remove this spacer, the drum will not wobble on the hub. This has me thinking one of the three bearings may not be aligned correctly preventing everything from being perfectly flat against one another, which is what I am pursuing at this point.
You mentioned this earlier and it is not a valid check. Of course sprocket carrier will sit flat and not wobble as it sitting on the cushions without the spacer.

I think you are missing the basic function of the axle, bearings and spacers.

When correctly assembled and torqued, there is a continuous load path from one side of the axle to the nut. Spacer, bearing inner race, spacer, bearing inner race spacer, etc. Nothing turns on the axle and all the spacers and inner bearing races should not move. The rubber cushions are just there to damp the rotational forces.

The roller bearing in the sprocket carrier is what supports and aligns it. Yes, new, tight rubber cushions can help to some small degree but that is not their function.

That being said, have you put the sprocket carrier on the axle alone, spun it, and see if it wobbles?

Reactions: Jimmy boy

·
Registered
2013 GSX-R 600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Picked up a used sprocket mounting drum that was pretty cheap off eBay as a test. The drum included the bearing and retainer (#14 from John's diagram). The rest has been unchanged. It is definitely an improvement but the sprocket still seems to be moving slightly out of plane but could just be the chain moving a bit side to side on the sprocket.... not sure. Look on the left, it's hard to tell on the right as the tire is so bad. Need a second pair of eyes, what do you guys think?

Different (Used) Drum, Bearing, & Retainer

Again, all that changed was the drum, retainer (#14), and drum bearing (well the dust seal also).

I already have a new roller bearing and seal for the drum but haven't installed it yet. I will ultimately narrow it down to the specific part (bearing, drum, retainer or something else if this isn't it) out of my own curiosity but also for the next guy as this has been time consuming and a bit of a pain.

On another note, the axle washer had a slight lip on one side that dug into the spacer once torqued down. This caused the aluminum shavings. I just flipped it but have another on order for long term. No more shavings.

·
Super Moderator
9,206 Posts
There is a bit of movement but it would not cause me concern if it were my bike.

·
Registered
2013 GSX-R 600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just wanted to provide the fix just in case anyone else runs into this. It was the rubber cushions in the sprocket hub. It was not the bearings, spacers, sprockets, or anything else.

If you run into this issue and nothing seems obvious, check the rubber cushions in the hub. A visual inspection is not enough, mine looked brand new and were seated properly. However, they were very hard. I didn't realize it until I got the new ones. The new ones were pliable where the old ones were not. If you dropped an old one on a stone counter top, it sounded like hard plastic when it hit where the new ones sound as you expect rubber to sound when bouncing off a hard surface.

The condition of the old cushions did not allow the sprocket hub to seat evenly in the wheel hub which caused the wobble. In addition, the sprocket hub would come out of the wheel very easily (almost fall out) once removed from the bike. The new ones are TIGHT and requires some effort to get it seated.

The bike only has just under 10K miles on it. I have heard people say these last for 40K+ miles no issue... perhaps, but mine did not. Hope this helps the next guy/gal who may run into a similar situation.

Video of Sprocket w/New Cushions

·
Super Moderator
9,206 Posts
Thanks for the update. Did you go back with OEM cushions?

It is surprising that there was that much change in 7 years and 10k miles.

·
Registered
2013 GSX-R 600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It is surprising which is why I really didn't consider them initially. However, I ran across several other posts on various other forums (not just GSX-Rs) where others had a very similar issue and could not fix it, one guy even went so far as to replace his wheel which didn't work. He kept using his original cushions though.

I did go OEM, I didn't realize there was another option - took forever to get them. Do you know of another aftermarket option?

·
Super Moderator
9,206 Posts
I did go OEM, I didn't realize there was another option - took forever to get them. Do you know of another aftermarket option?
No. Over the years I've seen some non-OEM cushions for other bikes but not specifically GSXRs.

I just thought you might have found something else. I remember them as they came in yellow or red colors.

Reactions: Desmo749

·
Registered
2013 GSX-R 600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Mine are original OEM.... now I'm wondering if I should change them just because.
No, not in my opinion unless you are experiencing something similar. You can check them though next time you have your wheel off though. I could just barely indent the old cushions (even on the tips) with my nail when pressed into them. The new ones I could do easily. They are $16.56 each through RevZilla where I bought mine, so if you don't need to spend the ~$100 bucks or so, I wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Rubber is rubber. As it ages it gets hard. Same issue with tires. Glad you got it sorted out.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
413 Posts
Timm Goldsmith was making cushions from urethane rubber on the WERA 13x forum. I don't know about lasting forever but urethane is very tough and doesn't harden. Things looked very promising, particularly with the doughnut shaped cushions used on aftermarket wheels. Then it suddenly vanished. I managed to locate him in West Seneca, NY. But he wouldn't respond to emails. I thought that he had a business there. Sigh!

There are indeed some aftermarket cushions, for example here. But Timm seemed to be doing a better job.

·
Super Moderator
9,206 Posts
@billv Ah!! The urethane replacements is what I remembered.

·
Registered
2013 GSX-R 600
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I did a search after rv6john's reply for aftermarket cushions and they are definitely some out there for some bikes, but could not find any for 2011+ GSX-R 600/750s. At least not yet.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts