Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently took my 2007 gsxr 750 out for a little ride in the middle of the night and went about half a mile away and I start to notice that my tachometer got stuck at 0 rpm and the speed remained at 55 mph and eventually the bike made a "pop" sound and shut off completely.

So today, I fully charged the battery and it put out 12.2 volts at idle and remained 12.2 at 5,000 RPM. From my understanding, I'm supposed to have at least 14 volts at 5k RPM otherwise either my stator or rectifier is bad. My battery was replaced about a month ago so I'm pretty sure it's not a bad battery. I went ahead and checked ONE prong on the plug for the stator and it was putting out 76 vAC at 5k RPM. I wanted to make sure that the stator was okay by physically examining it and this is what I saw when I opened the cover.

It looks like only 3 of the coils are a different shade from the rest of the coils but I was wondering if any of you guys would consider this a bad stator? I know bad stators are usually completely black but I just had to be certain. If my stator isn't bad, would the only thing be left is the rectifier/regulator? Any input would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yay, my first post on gsxr.com.

Hi, i had an issue with my K7 GSXR 750 in February as well. With mine the Tacho and Speedo where reading fine one minute, the next minute the bike went off never to turn on again.
Towed it home, checked ALL fuses(A OK) boosted the bike with the car(car was off) and the bike started. This victory didnt last long.

Got the battery checked, it was fried. Tested the RR(lots of videos on youtube), it was fried. The stator was fine......or at least i assumed it to be, i never checked it separately.

I have come to understand that the coils in the stator wont always be the same color because of oil and all...or so I read.

I installed a bigger mosfet RR i got from amazon. I am in South Africa so it took 3-4 weeks for it to get delivered from America somewhere(bought it from Mister Electric).
I bought a new battery.

Bike runs fine now.

So I say
check the fuses, including the main 30A fuse that is housed separately from the the 10A and 15A fuses,
charge the battery with a proper charger, my charger delivers 1A to the battery on the motorcycle setting,
get a multimeter and do a load test to see if your charging system is giving out a decent voltage between 13.8v and about 14,4v,
using the multimeter, test the RR, youtube has videos of this,

I say your RR is bad and may have killed the battery.

between gixxer.com and gsxr.com there is enough advice.

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
Hey guys,

I recently took my 2007 gsxr 750 out for a little ride in the middle of the night and went about half a mile away and I start to notice that my tachometer got stuck at 0 rpm and the speed remained at 55 mph and eventually the bike made a "pop" sound and shut off completely.

So today, I fully charged the battery and it put out 12.2 volts at idle and remained 12.2 at 5,000 RPM. From my understanding, I'm supposed to have at least 14 volts at 5k RPM otherwise either my stator or rectifier is bad. My battery was replaced about a month ago so I'm pretty sure it's not a bad battery. I went ahead and checked ONE prong on the plug for the stator and it was putting out 76 vAC at 5k RPM. I wanted to make sure that the stator was okay by physically examining it and this is what I saw when I opened the cover.

It looks like only 3 of the coils are a different shade from the rest of the coils but I was wondering if any of you guys would consider this a bad stator? I know bad stators are usually completely black but I just had to be certain. If my stator isn't bad, would the only thing be left is the rectifier/regulator? Any input would be much appreciated!
For the next person seeing this thread.

Taking the cover off to visually inspect the stator was a waste of time. It would have been easily checked with a volt/ohmmeter by just checking at the plug to the R/R.

Make sure you get a fresh gasket on assembly, sealer will not work.

R/R fail much more frequently then stators. That is likely your problem.

If you had done the stator checks before you took it apart, you probably could have plugged in a new R/R and been riding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think my rectifier is fried on my 04 gsxr 600 but I want to see what you guys think.
So at the end of last riding season the bike was in great condition. Over the winter I put it on stands in the garage and periodically started it up and let it idle for a while. A couple weeks ago I replaced the fairings with some China plastic and did the oil/filter change. Sunday I finally got it out and made it 6 miles to the gas station where the HUD when blank and it died. I tried bump starting it but didn’t have any luck. I had to jump and charge it using my wife’s car for about 5-10 minutes just to get it back home. I just made it into the driveway when it died again.
Thinking it was the battery; I bought a new one and put it in. I should have known better because when I tested it with my meter on the battery terminals it was only reading about 11.5 VDC. But it’s a cheap meter so I figured/hoped that was just off and put the seat back on. Yesterday morning however, after letting it warm up for about 10 minutes same thing, it stalled in the driveway.
So after doing a bunch of research I’m thinking it’s the stator/rectifier. I did the stator test to check for bad ground with a better meter, checking each leg of the connector against the negative side of the battery terminal and the meter didn’t “ring out”. Then I did the no load test @ 5,000 rpm and I got 89-90 VAC testing each leg. That seems a little high but at least it reads the same on all 3 legs. Then I looked at the rectifier and the plug is melted which obviously leads me to believe it’s the rectifier that is bad.
I know just enough about electronics to get me into trouble so does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? Obviously, I’ll be replacing the rectifier. I’m trying to avoid doing the stator, but the elevated reading has me concerned that it’ll just happen again if I don’t change it out. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
I think my rectifier is fried on my 04 gsxr 600 but I want to see what you guys think.
So at the end of last riding season the bike was in great condition. Over the winter I put it on stands in the garage and periodically started it up and let it idle for a while. A couple weeks ago I replaced the fairings with some China plastic and did the oil/filter change. Sunday I finally got it out and made it 6 miles to the gas station where the HUD when blank and it died. I tried bump starting it but didn’t have any luck. I had to jump and charge it using my wife’s car for about 5-10 minutes just to get it back home. I just made it into the driveway when it died again.
Thinking it was the battery; I bought a new one and put it in. I should have known better because when I tested it with my meter on the battery terminals it was only reading about 11.5 VDC. But it’s a cheap meter so I figured/hoped that was just off and put the seat back on. Yesterday morning however, after letting it warm up for about 10 minutes same thing, it stalled in the driveway.
So after doing a bunch of research I’m thinking it’s the stator/rectifier. I did the stator test to check for bad ground with a better meter, checking each leg of the connector against the negative side of the battery terminal and the meter didn’t “ring out”. Then I did the no load test @ 5,000 rpm and I got 89-90 VAC testing each leg. That seems a little high but at least it reads the same on all 3 legs. Then I looked at the rectifier and the plug is melted which obviously leads me to believe it’s the rectifier that is bad.
I know just enough about electronics to get me into trouble so does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? Obviously, I’ll be replacing the rectifier. I’m trying to avoid doing the stator, but the elevated reading has me concerned that it’ll just happen again if I don’t change it out. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.
Long story easy answer.

Cut the connector off both sides and solder or crimp connect the wires together. Check the voltage at the battery again at 5k.

Also, I need pics of your "heads up display" :wink

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your responses! And yes I actually tested the stator plug before I removed it, but like I said, I've only checked one of the prongs for the connector, which was my fault. It didn't run across my mind to check all three prongs, but when I did check the one prong, it was at 76 volts at 5k RPM. I'm not very electrical savy because it was actually my first time using a voltage meter so I wanted to take a look physically to make sure. I'm really hoping my battery isn't fried and it's just the rectifier that's blown like everyone said.

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
I can do that but what I'm concerned about is the 90 VAC coming off the stator. Everything I've ever read says 65-80 VAC.
Actually, the spec is 65v AND MORE. Many have posted up near 90v. The average seems to be about 85v AC.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
It's looking like your stator is fine. The one test you haven't posted results on is the resistance between each set of stator wires. Should be around 0.2 ohms between each pair.

If that checks out, buy a new r/r. Either oem or ricks motorsports mosfet unit. Do not buy a cheap one off eBay.

If you put all the wiring back together using the connectors, make sure all the terminals are shiny and not corroded. Put a little dielectric grease on the connectors. This will keep them in good condition in the future.

Does the back of your r/r have any wires sticking out like varicose veins - that's what mine looked like when it died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, no the back of my r/r looks fine. I've seen some photos of them bubbling up but mine looks normal. Also, I've relocated my r/r in the past to the same position as the 08 and up GSXR so it's on the side of the bike and not by the radiator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yay, my first post on gsxr.com.

Hi, i had an issue with my K7 GSXR 750 in February as well. With mine the Tacho and Speedo where reading fine one minute, the next minute the bike went off never to turn on again.
Towed it home, checked ALL fuses(A OK) boosted the bike with the car(car was off) and the bike started. This victory didnt last long.

Got the battery checked, it was fried. Tested the RR(lots of videos on youtube), it was fried. The stator was fine......or at least i assumed it to be, i never checked it separately.

I have come to understand that the coils in the stator wont always be the same color because of oil and all...or so I read.

I installed a bigger mosfet RR i got from amazon. I am in South Africa so it took 3-4 weeks for it to get delivered from America somewhere(bought it from Mister Electric).
I bought a new battery.

Bike runs fine now.

So I say
check the fuses, including the main 30A fuse that is housed separately from the the 10A and 15A fuses,
charge the battery with a proper charger, my charger delivers 1A to the battery on the motorcycle setting,
get a multimeter and do a load test to see if your charging system is giving out a decent voltage between 13.8v and about 14,4v,
using the multimeter, test the RR, youtube has videos of this,

I say your RR is bad and may have killed the battery.

between gixxer.com and gsxr.com there is enough advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts