Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've just replaced my R/R, fried, but lasted 13 years! So looked on the site and found it was a common problem. I have looked at the posts on relocation and am going to fabricate my own bracket this weekend. I noticed on the original bracket the retaining bolts are insulated from the bike frame. Is this to isolate from heat or from electrical ground?
Thanks in advance....

·
Super Moderator
10,638 Posts
I just changed the R/R on my 06 750 and don't remember any insulators on the bracket to frame bolts, but to answer your question, there is no need for insulation for heat or electrically.

The R/R housing is not used as a ground and is just a container for the components and a big heat sink. I don't know why it should be insulated from the frame as that would provide additional heat transfer.

I have two 2006 750s and the OEM R/R on the track bike failed about two years ago (13 years also) and the R/R and stator went out on the street bike last year. (14 years).

·
Super Moderator
10,638 Posts
I just looked at the parts diagram for both our bikes and see the cushions between the R/R and the mounting bracket. My guess is those may be an effort to reduce vibration transmitted to the R/R.

Reactions: Chango

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
I just looked at the parts diagram for both our bikes and see the cushions between the R/R and the mounting bracket. My guess is those may be an effort to reduce vibration transmitted to the R/R.
I'm pretty sure the relocation bracket I bought specifically stated that the pads were for vibration reduction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,
I've just replaced my R/R, fried, but lasted 13 years! So looked on the site and found it was a common problem. I have looked at the posts on relocation and am going to fabricate my own bracket this weekend. I noticed on the original bracket the retaining bolts are insulated from the bike frame. Is this to isolate from heat or from electrical ground?
Thanks in advance....
The most common issue I have seen since the SRADs came out are charging issues. I rarely went a week in my shop without one or two coming in with the complaint...my battery keeps dying. I also saw issues with electrical malfunctions on other brands, but I'll leave that alone.
The most common cause of charging issues was a poor connection between the stator and the rectifier. I found out quickly that there are two plug-in connections. One where the stator plugs into the main harness and another where the harness connects to the rectifier. Both connections suffer from overheating caused by wire connectors not having good contact with each other.
My own bike decided to fail at the track one day and if I wanted to race, it meant that I would have to fix it with what I had on hand. When I checked the rectifier connection it was mostly melted. What to do? I scrounged around the pit area and not a soul had what I wanted...a solder gun and solder...so I stripped the wires back as far as possible and twisted them together as tight as I could.
I kept the battery charger on until it was grid time and then went out to race. When I got back in, I checked the battery voltage and I had 10.8 vdc. I put the charger back on and decided to stop trying to fix it at the track because I didn't have what I needed, and it was stressing me. The rest of the weekend I ran it total loss with no problems.
When I got the shop on Tuesday and finished doing all my customer work, I took the GSXR apart and delved into the issue.
In the final result, I wired the stator straight to the rectifier bypassing the wire harness and soldered the wires. When I ohmed the rectifier, it had two bad diodes. I had another rectifier, so I put in in and everything was good.
What have I learned about GSXR charging issues? Bypass the harness and go straight from the stator to the rectifier. Don't use plugs...solder all the connections. The other demon is the white connector under the left air duct. Corrosion in that connector also causes problems, so I rewired it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
As best I know, the underlying problem is the use of unsealed connectors. Eastern Beaver discusses some alternatives here. Corsa Technic probably has something similar.

·
Super Moderator
10,638 Posts
@RdRcr150 I can tell you've worked on a bunch of these bikes. You have the problem areas nailed.

You've been pretty quiet previously for someone that joined 15 years ago. :ROFLMAO:

I hope you add your tech knowledge more frequently.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@RdRcr150 I can tell you've worked on a bunch of these bikes. You have the problem areas nailed.

You've been pretty quiet previously for someone that joined 15 years ago. :ROFLMAO:

I hope you add your tech knowledge more frequently.
Been Busy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts