Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '01 1000 with a Yoshimura TRS full exhaust and EMS. After the bike idles for about a minute, the center two header pipes start glowing red. I think this has somthing to do with the EMS, but I am not sure. Any help???

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It is DEFFINATELY running lean at idle then. You need to get it re mapped. Pull your plugs and tell me what they look like, or better yet take a picture and post it if you can. I should be able to gauge them in a pic .......... :hmmm: ???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the plugs 2 days ago and they were wet and black. The reason I pulled the plugs was because the bike would not start. After I cleaned them the bike runs fine but the center two headers turn red. Is there a map that I can load myself that is specificlly for my setup? Do I need to take it to a shop to have it remapped?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
1g4me said:
I pulled the plugs 2 days ago and they were wet and black. The reason I pulled the plugs was because the bike would not start. After I cleaned them the bike runs fine but the center two headers turn red. Is there a map that I can load myself that is specificlly for my setup? Do I need to take it to a shop to have it remapped?
That is VERY strange.... the plugs sound like it is rich. Pull them again, and see what they look like though (you dont have to replace them, just make a visual check.

IF you have the remote battery connector you can see what map is in the fuel mangement computer, and DL another one if you choose. If not you have to be able to get your bike close enough to a computer to do it on the bike.

It might be better to take it to a shop though and let them put it on a dyno and check the AF ratio.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Did you order the EMs with the yosh map in it, or did you buy it from someone? Or did you just buy an EMS without any map loaded in it?

It may not even have a map loaded......

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
IF you have the remote battery connector you can see what map is in the fuel mangement computer, and DL another one if you choose.

Actually he can just connect the Ems to his home computer or his laptop providing he still have the CD and see what map is on the bike and or load another map onto it. I have the software CD if you still need the informaion or download it offline. Try switching the Sparkplugs to diffrent cylinder as well to see if you get the same situation. I am thinking that you may have damaged the sparkplugs or something (gapped incorrectly). If you not interested in all this Do just like MotoJoe said get that thing in :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. I have a laptop that I can set right next to the bike. I downloaded to mapping software and map pack off the Yoshimura web site. I tried to load a new map into my EMS but am unsure if it did anything. The pipes still glow red after running for about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
488 Posts
poss loosing spark in those 2 cyl or leaking injectors? sounds like flooding the exhaust pipe with fuel. for the 30 or so sec it runs before it glows .. how does the bike run? is it smooth, skip, hard starting?, maybe even poss damaged valves? when did the problem start?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Does it run right other than that......... if not, damaged vavle is a possibility. Remote but it is.

I would say somthing is deffineatly off there though, and I t needs expert attention IMO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After changing the plugs, the header no longer gets red. I just could not belive that the bike would run so good with bad plugs. Anyway, I am just glad that it only cost me $20 and a six pack to fix it. Thanks for all of your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.