Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use to get the oil filter off without a small strap type wrench?

Should I just hammer threw with a screwdriver and use that to twist it off?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I usually just take mine off with my hands. But if its to tight and you have nothing else you could pound a screw driver thru it. Just dont go to close to the base and hit the nipple that the filter screws onto. And get ready for a mess haha!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Take your new filter up to a parts store or dealership and get the correct size filter wrench. A strap wrench can even be a pain.
I have tried to change a car oil filter with a strap wrench and it was on so tight the strap wrench just bent the filter. As a last resort i drove a screw driver through the filter. It sounds easy but it can also be a pain to get that screw driver through the filter.
Just buy the filter wrench... it makes the job so much easier. Its not worth hitting some other part on your bike cause you were trying to drive a screw driver through the filter.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
A good filter wrench is always helpful. There is not a lot of clearance for strap wrenches. If you have to, pound a screwdriver through it. You might have to do it several times because of header clearance. Do yourself a favor and only put it on with your bare hands. They tighten up when they get warm. So if you put it on with a wrench it makes it that much harder to get off.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What do you guys use to get the oil filter off without a small strap type wrench?

I went to autozone and bought the socket type oil wrench fits any standard socket wrench and olny cost a few bucks, plus they do military discount.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Buy k&n oil filters, they have a ratchet nut at the top. Problem solved :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
As Hong would say ... go to the hardware store and pick you up a pair of man hands and can o nuts. that should work.lol

j/j yea the screw driver thing works good but is messy as hell

·
Registered
552 Posts
As Hong would say ... go to the hardware store and pick you up a pair of man hands and can o nuts. that should work.lol

j/j yea the screw driver thing works good but is messy as hell
+1 for man hands. Iv always taken mine off with my hands. Sometimes you gota work at it for a little bit, but shell come eventually haha! ;)

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Oil filter should never be on there so tight that you can't get it off with your own hands. Hell, I have girly hands and can get mine off...but I safety wire my filter so it's not on tight at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Agreed with the above---filter should never be so tight you cant take it off with your hands. You should put it on with your hands till it gets tight--then turn it one more turn.

To take off it helps to run it for 5 minutes (just let it idle) and then use a rag around the filter to unscrew it.

(The exhaust wont be very hot--but the oil going through the filter is warm and allows the bond between the filter and base to become a little looser.)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.