Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
ive heard mixed feelings on this mod. some say it helps some say it takes away. im guessing that if done properly and mapped correctly it can help, but the whole purpost of them is to smooth out the airflow coming in to your throttlebodies and everyone knows that smoother airflow = more power.

now the set valve in the exhaust... get rid of that bitch in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Well, except the purpose of the secondary throttle plates is to provide effective throttling at low throttle settings. If you take them out, you will gain top end performance from removal of the flow restriction (fine for drag racing, probably why people do it on Busa's) but you will screw up low and mid range performance.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I know a lot of zx-14 riders are doing that allready to correct the low RPM throttle lash issue they are having with that bike...

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
show me a before/after dyno and ill believe you that it makes a diffrence. everyones buut dyno is diffrent and none of them are calibrated. it very well may make some areas better, but its probably doing damage to other areas.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It's not necessarily smoother airflow but higher velocity you want. To get higher velocity generally the airflow must be smooth. Anything sitting in the way of airflow takes away power. Everything in the way of the air getting into your intake is a restriction. Every bend no matter how small is a restriction.

·
Registered
726 Posts
It's not necessarily smoother airflow but higher velocity you want. To get higher velocity generally the airflow must be smooth. Anything sitting in the way of airflow takes away power. Everything in the way of the air getting into your intake is a restriction. Every bend no matter how small is a restriction.
Yeah on my K6 it had a cat. When i installed my micron slip-on it a srt8 pipe. I felt the difference. And notice the bike felt slower when i put the stock 1 back on. I called micron and the guy told me that in R&D the slip on made 3hp. Not sure if thats true. But i know no cat = free flowing. The stock pipe weight about 20lbs, the micron weight 6lbs. Dont u think shaving off lbs makes the bike a lil faster???? Correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The secondary butterfiles have been removed on my 2004 GSX-R600. Dramatic response difference. But remember, this is a track only bike. Normal operating RPM range is 8,000+.

You are more than welcome to talk to my mechanic who did this if you want further info...

Reaction Time Racing
Joliet, Illinois

Just tell whoever picks up the phone that you got his name from the guy (Dean) with the all black GSX-R600 from Shorewood who he did this mod for earlier in the year.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts