Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys after about 2 years of storage I'm putting my 2001 GSXR1000 back on the road. Problem is I've found a couple of cut wires.

The first one is connected to the wire coupler that goes into the ECM, it looks like an easy fix though, all I have to do is replace the terminal that goes into the coupler.

The second is more difficult, the wires are cut very near the largest wire coupler under the gas tank and there is only about a 1/4 inch of wire so splicing is near impossible and undependable. And it does'nt seem like these wires can be taken out the coupler (female end) and be repaired (correct me if I'm wrong).

Can these wires be removed and replaced or is there some sort of wire coupler kit (where I can cut all 15 wires going to the coupler and just replace the coupler) or would I have to go head and replace the wiring harness or parts of it

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have never heard of a coupler kit, but I have never messed with my wires either. I had to replace part of the wiring harness on my car due to the stereo catching the alternator on fire. I cut and spliced in certain areas and plugged directly in where I could. The problem with bikes is there aren't as many places to unplug and re-plug a good part of the harness back in.

Ski will probably have the answer. :p

·
Administrator
1,000,000,259 Posts
well i just had to cut off a connector and splice them together because of the wire getting to close to the exhuast... i didn't see a problem with it the only draw back is if i ever have to take the starter off i will have to cut the wire again but if i had those connectors which you can plug in and out...

oh well i will cross that bridge when i get to it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
THey do make tools to get the pins out of the connector. That would be the best way to fix. A electronics store like Fryieswould have them and they are pretty cheap. Suzuki should be able to get you a new pin they are almost impossible to reuse.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
What exactly are those wires for first off? does it still have the stock exhaust on it? Because if you take the SET valve off then you have to cut some wires to get the FI light to go off? I would figure that out first of all. Second, you can remove the metal part that is inside of the connector with something like a needle or dentist like pick. They are reusable most of the time. If not then I'm not sure where you are going to get one, because suzuki doesn't sell just the connectors, you have to buy a whole new wiring harness. Sometimes if you can get a hook up to the factory then you can get some of those parts, but I'm not sure where or how to do that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I jumped the dealer switch and got the following codes:

`C13= Intake air pressure sensor
`C14= Throttle position sensor
`C21= Intake air temp. sensor
`C29= Secondary trottle position sensor

I does'nt have to be so but i found four damaged wires and I got four trouble codes so its a good chance that the each of the wires are for each of the troubled sensors.

I did alter the exhaust but only the tip. I did not bother with the pipes

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This tread has been idle for a couple of days, I was wondering if anyone else has any input on the matter?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just got off the phone with a suzuki dealership and they told me that a new wiring harness would cost me about $450-$500 so that is out of the question and I figure a used one would cost me about $100-$200 plus alot of looking around and with a chance that I purchase a faulty one.

So what I'm thinking of doing is too find the wires on the male end of the coupler that connect to the damaged wires on the female end and cut them off and make a direct connection between each set of wires with some sort of connector (that I'm pretty sure I can purchase at the local Radio Shack).

So what do you guys think of my plan?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
mick said:
Well I just got off the phone with a suzuki dealership and they told me that a new wiring harness would cost me about $450-$500 so that is out of the question and I figure a used one would cost me about $100-$200 plus alot of looking around and with a chance that I purchase a faulty one.

So what I'm thinking of doing is too find the wires on the male end of the coupler that connect to the damaged wires on the female end and cut them off and make a direct connection between each set of wires with some sort of connector (that I'm pretty sure I can purchase at the local Radio Shack).

So what do you guys think of my plan?
I got a wiring harness for a GSXR 1000. 01-02 If you want it I'll let ya have it for $50. Lemme know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow!!! $50 is a steal but the prob is that I live in the Bahamas so so shipping and custom duties probably will bring it up to $150-$250

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I would guess from your description that re soldering the wires is still a possibility. If you can get to them to at least strip a small area back you might be able to solder them together and use liquid tape to cover the connection.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK my cut wires are fixed

I bought some wire connectors from radio shack and rejoined the cut wires all of the previous codes are now gone, thats the good part.

I am now getting `c00 and the bike still won't start

Can anyone help me from here?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
-C00 is the code your supposed to get when nothing is wrong. Did you make sure the bikes in neutral, kill switch off, all the fuses still good?

·
Registered
543 Posts
sounds like there still a bad connection somewhere, double check the kickstand safety wire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah guys i checked most of those stuff but i will double check the kick stand switch ( i don't think it will be that cause the starter turns over ok)

The `c00 code that I'm getting has the dash at the top (not the middle) and my service manual says thats incorrect and that it can be fixed by adjusting the throttle position sensor, but you have to START the bike and idle it to 150rpm first then adjust the sensor so that the dash is in the middle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
mick said:
wow!!! $50 is a steal but the prob is that I live in the Bahamas so so shipping and custom duties probably will bring it up to $150-$250

Wow dude that sux, maybe you should take a trip to the us!!! :clap:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm gonna run a couple more test such as a the fuel pump test, I ran one before i fixed the wires and it was pumping way too much gas.

I also want to send my ECM to the nearest Suzuki dealer (Miami/Ft Lauderdale). Can they check it while its not in the bike? And does anyone know how much an ECM check Should run me into?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Most of the time th fuel pump pumps WAY more than the book says. The book is a minimum amount.

As far as checking the ECM out of the bike, I dont think it can be done... but not sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts