Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking ahead........ my bike still has the stock tires and they are in good shape ( I'm at 3900miles ) and I was wondering if when I replace the rear is it mandatory to replace the front as well if it is in good condition.

I mostly commute and do weekend rides to twisties no track days.

·
Registered
376 Posts
for just commuting any rear tire will work but if you intend to do any aggressive riding it isn't recomended at all.some guys run a pilot road on the back with a 2ct on the front so they wear approxamatly the same life span.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
I've had mixed tires more than I've had sets of tires. It doesn't hurt anything. The people who say it does either don't know what they're talking about or they want to sell you more tires.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Yeah im on my second rear tire in 3400 miles. and the front is still fine. But sometimes I gotta do a quick burnout to warm em up on those cold days.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've had mixed tires more than I've had sets of tires. It doesn't hurt anything. The people who say it does either don't know what they're talking about or they want to sell you more tires.
would it be fine then to put a pilot power 2ct on for the rear and keep my bto14 in the front? the front still has 3/4 tread left, so i really dont want to change it out. and what can i expect out of the 2ct. milage/performance wise.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
I think you can expect similar mileage and performance from the 2CT.

Mixing brands front and back really isn't going to affect street riding much, but if you run tires with radically different profiles front and back, you may degrade your handling a bit. For example, Continental Sport Attacks and Michelin PR/PP series are pretty close in profile and you won't notice the difference (except the Michelins have better traction.) Dunlops on the other hand have quite a different profile and feel.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think you can expect similar mileage and performance from the 2CT.

Mixing brands front and back really isn't going to affect street riding much, but if you run tires with radically different profiles front and back, you may degrade your handling a bit. For example, Continental Sport Attacks and Michelin PR/PP series are pretty close in profile and you won't notice the difference (except the Michelins have better traction.) Dunlops on the other hand have quite a different profile and feel.
will the pilot power 2ct stick to the road better then the stock ones? dont get me wrong the stock ones were good, they just aren't in the milage department. and you said the radically different profiles front and back, will the pp 2ct and the bto14 be a alright combo till the front needs to be changed out? thanks Tee

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had to buy a new tire for my bike when i first purchased my bike (Stupid nails:thefinger) I ran a pilot power in the back and a battle ax on the front for about 4,000 miles. Had no problems leaning corners, but i switched to 2ct's on front and back and it handles way better.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If I am switching between brands I always replace both at the same time. Better to just avoid compatibility issues than to guess on how well two different tires will work together and then be disappointed if it doesn't handle the way you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts