Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding on the freeway last night in heavy traffic, I got my rear wheel clipped by a cager changing lanes behind me. My bike briefly did the two-step before launching me high-side style into low-earth orbit. Thanks to the talented engineers at Sidi, Shark, Knox and Furygan, I walked away with minor rash and what CT scans proved only to be a gnarly hip contusion rather than a bonafide fracture this time - thank God. Sadly, my K6 1k didn't fare as well. The mainframe cracked on both sides in perfectly straight, vertical lines, right along the frame weld midway down the horizontal section of each (L & R) spar, directly beneath the tank. Welding it crossed my mind, but its a gamble, no guarantee it'll be safe, and honestly kind of expensive considering how much a straight used frame fetches. Looking at Ebay options today i keep running into frames that have an "F" designation. All my years (30) with these bikes (GSX-Rs) and I've never come across this moniker until now. Can somebody enlighten me as to what for example makes an F12 frame different from an F13 or F15?? I can't find any info on this in the places I've looked. Does it have something to do with the condition? Salvage status? Regional design variation? I'd appreciate any input here. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Good Morning! I too am glad you're relatively OK.
I can't imagine how scary that was that a car couldn't navigate a land change and hit your bike. Wow.
Interesting that it cracked under the tank? Yes, I know a known weaker spot for these K5/6 frames. Even with the added frame brace which I assume you had also? Kind of a band aid at best. They did get the weight down on the K5/6's though LOL

I don't know about an F, but here is one with the frame brace on it too.

OH, woops, sorry, Then I read this on that $400 frame I posted.
“This frame is straight and ready to go for stunting or racing! This frame is perfect for stunting or racing but not road worthy. The frame has a piece broken off.”
WTF, what?

I ride a K5/6 Liter and Love it.
You've had very few posts since you joined in '14, don't be a stranger and let us know how you're doing and the build back goes.
Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's made the identical post on the other forum.

With regard to the frame that Todd found:

I'm inclined to pass.
Uh-oh.....
SOUND THE ALARM!!! TRAITOR ALERT!!! CODE RED!!! "
"He's made the identical post on the other forum." (lol?)
Over the years i have been grateful for the resource that is the "other forum" as you put it. Since discovering this (your) forum I've come to appreciate it at least as much. In recent years i have noticed that the "look" of both is more similar than ever too - just an observation, definitely not implying anything except to point out that i think they are both great resources of information. I do see some subtle variations however, and if i had to generalize, I'd say this (your) forum has been more helpful from a technical (dare i say more mature?) perspective while the other forum tends to be more for entertainment, where threads inundated with crass sarcasm are more of the norm vs. the solid, no-nonsense information that I've come to appreciate here at gsxr.com. That's my 2 cents. Hopefully I havent offended anyone, and certainly didnt think i was "two-timing" gsxr.com by reaching out to gixxer.com as an additional resource to provide some insight that would ideally serve to assist me in my search for a replacement frame.

·
Mod of the North
28,849 Posts
Both sites are owned by the same company and run on the same platform. Same swing sets, different playgrounds.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Uh-oh.....
SOUND THE ALARM!!! TRAITOR ALERT!!! CODE RED!!! "
"He's made the identical post on the other forum." (lol?)
Over the years i have been grateful for the resource that is the "other forum" as you put it. Since discovering this (your) forum I've come to appreciate it at least as much. In recent years i have noticed that the "look" of both is more similar than ever too - just an observation, definitely not implying anything except to point out that i think they are both great resources of information. I do see some subtle variations however, and if i had to generalize, I'd say this (your) forum has been more helpful from a technical (dare i say more mature?) perspective while the other forum tends to be more for entertainment, where threads inundated with crass sarcasm are more of the norm vs. the solid, no-nonsense information that I've come to appreciate here at gsxr.com. That's my 2 cents. Hopefully I havent offended anyone, and certainly didnt think i was "two-timing" gsxr.com by reaching out to gixxer.com as an additional resource to provide some insight that would ideally serve to assist me in my search for a replacement frame.
I use to cut and paste my exact same posts of both forums! LOL I for one don't see a problem with it. We were lucky enough 'over here' to have Bill V come over and post and contribute. Others are on both too.

I'm in more of a stealth mode now when I do go 'over there'. IIRC- i may have been permanently banned over there? For not much really.

Anyways, do stay 'over here' and post away too! And Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
821 Posts
^"...banned over there? For not much really. "

You were a bit of a loose cannon but I never understood why either. You seem to have nicely settled in here. I've noticed several with upwards of 10,000 posts banned over there. Perhaps people slowly go nuts there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts