Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.. I am searching for my next bike and I am down to these two (Suz/Hon). I ride approx. 80mi. / day and I need this bike to dependable. I figured for all of you that own gixxers, thay maybe you could send me some insight on its overall quality from and owners point of view. Breakdowns, things breaking and rattling, stuff like that.. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You cant go wrong with any of the 4 japanese brands these days. They are all damn good. It just boils down to what you like, and what feels better. Just take good care of it, and it will take care of you. I had an R6 and the 600RR. Both were great bikes with absolutely no problems to speak of, but I do like my 04 GSXR 1K better then both of them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would heve to agree. Both bikes are good. The honda is going to be a little milder of a bike, however, you can't beat the performance of the gixxer. Even at the 600 level, the gsxr is going to be a lot more fun to ride. I had a 10 year gap in my riding due to a really bad wreck, so when I got back on one, I bought an 04 f4i. It was a great bike, but the second my girl made a comment about being tired of riding on the back, I went right out and bought an 04 gsxr 1k. That bike is one of the best things I've ever ridden. I say you would be happier with the gsxr, but the rr isn't a bad machine. Whichever you choos, just make sure you have fun while riding it.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
The gsxr's are a lot more maintence friendly, parts are a lot easier to get to and change on the GSXR's. if your going to be doing all the work yourself I would get the gsxr, honda's are a pain in the ass to work on.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
hey ski, what about the yamaha, how maintenance freindly are they. This whole honda maintenance has me rethinking the plans for my 1k in the spring.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I can tell you out of all 4 bikes, the GSXR is the best on user friendly maintenece. I would say yamaha is gonna be second on the list and Kawi and honda tied for last. I head, but not sure if its true, that you have to drop the motor to change the plugs in the ZX-10R because if the way they ran the frame. But i would go with a suzuki if you wanna do all your own work.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Good thing I don't like the kawi, I'm just gonna have to do a little more research I guess. I'm really not feeling the zuk 1k with the bug eyes for mirrors, I thinks it's the R1 or Repsol replica for me.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Yea, its pretty ugly, my personal opinion, I would go with the Yam if your not getting the Zuk.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
performance wise, how much of a diff between the zuk and the yam. i keep hearing on here how much of a dog yamahas are. i've read the spec sheets, but just looking for some opinions. also i saw the honda was about 30lbs heavier and not to fond of that.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
the main difference between the two is going to be riding postion, they are all 1000's, you are not going to be able to tell just by hoping on one which has less power. The older generation R1's were a little underpowered, but the new bikes are all so close on power you can't really go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
that's all i was looking for, I'm not going to be racing the it or anything. if it's just a little difference between the two the i'll go with the R1. (i must say it bothers me to say that - DAMN the bug eyed mirrors!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of your input so far.. I know that both bikes are gonna be great initially, but because of how many miles I put on them.. Really I am concerned with how Suz ranks with Honda in dependability. So considering that Ski seems to be around Suz for a while is encouraging. I had my 04 CBR since May and I had 11k on it before the wreck in Nov.5. I am axiously awaiting for these bikes to even get to cali? Does anyone know status of shipments? Dealers say Jan? for both Honda and Suz?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I've owned suzuki's since 99, had my 750 since 2000 and beat the hell out of it and it still runs, and bought the thou this year and put 13k miles on it so far, so I'll stand by suzuki. I know the dealers around here have the 05 600 and 750 but not the thou, and the honda's aren't coming till jan/feb they said.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I'm in IL and my dealer has the 05 gsxr 600 and the 05 honda 1000 - not sure on the 600, yeah this makes sense get them to IL first when it's too damn cold to ride. :hammer:

·
Banned
59 Posts
I have to agree with all exept kawasucki sucks! And I personally think that at 80 miles a day the littlest bike i would get would be a 750 and honda doesnt make one of them! the reason is because the smaller bikes have smaller pistons , and they will wear out at less mileage . also you wont get blown around as much by traffic on a little bit bigger bike. I highly reccomend either a gixxer 750 or 1000 .

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
the weight difference between the GSXR 6 and the GSXR 10 is like 15-20lbs, it isn't gonna make a difference with the wind. And the whole smaller piston, wear out sooner thing isn't true either. and the Bikes rev out at different RPM's.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
haha, the funny thing is a lot of people have that mentality and do that stuff.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.