Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a cheapy I got off FleaBay- for the spools of my Gixxers.
When I recently sold one of them, the buyer agreed on the price if I"d throw in the rear stand that it was on when I took the picture.
I said SURE- it was less than $40 shipped- if that seals the deal!

So, I needed another rear stand, and was looking for a product similar to this- only better, made from steel that used to be sold as a pair front and back- but couldn't find it anywhere on the net anymore.
I am still trying to avoid the price on the Gold standard- Pit Bull stands.

I was near a harbor freight recently and thought I'd go in and see what they had in stock.
They had the non-spool type that I once bought for my 97 Gixx750 I had. It is actually VERY strudy as the whole thing is one piece and not tubes put together.
https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-swingarm-rear-stand-65620.html

With the 90 day return/refund warranty, I decided to try this one. It is aluminum.
I'd give the welds a 5 on a 1-10 scale. They all will hold and hold well though.
You have to screw the 2 uprights on with 3 screws each side. All the nuts are lock nuts!!
This not welding the uprights was obviously to save space in the shipping box by keeping it nice and flat.

What I really liked, was the cradle arms for the spools are held very snuggly by a top plate with 4 x hex head screws pinching the plate down on a very nicely welded cradle arm.

It does not wobble, or flex at all when you lift the rear of the bike with it.
Having just given that flimsy POS away with the #1.0 bike, this one is better than I expected, and for $39. I recommend it as a low budget rear spool stand!

https://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-rear-motorcycle-spool-stand-99701.html

·
Registered
337 Posts
The funny thing is the Chinese could build a pit bull quality stand for pennies. It's not an engineering masterpiece.
It's like they HAVE to build something inferior in quality otherwise it can't sell at harbor freight. lol

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have one, it definitely flexes side to side. It's not much, but it's definitely more than a Pitbull stand. You get on a Pitbull or other quality stand, you can sit on it and move around and they're rock solid. This one you would probably not want to even sit on it, let alone test out how sturdy it is. These are good stands for lifting up your bike really quick, but nothing you ever want to move with and I certainly wouldn't let it stay on long-term. A single bump and some swaying would do the stand in.

You can see that you can even manhandle it and bend it by hand. Same with the other cheap stands.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the video Nick. It was good and does get the point across. Nothing new there though as I know this is a cheap stand too.

As I said, the welds on the aluminum are kind of a joke, but are adequate enough to hold. It's stronger than the stand I was using, that was thrown in with one of my bikes sales a few weeks ago. Still have my 90 day return/refund too, but I'm pretty sure I'm keeping it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for the video Nick. It was good and does get the point across. Nothing new there though as I know this is a cheap stand too.

As I said, the welds on the aluminum are kind of a joke, but are adequate enough to hold. It's stronger than the stand I was using, that was thrown in with one of my bikes sales a few weeks ago. Still have my 90 day return/refund too, but I'm pretty sure I'm keeping it.
If you plan to be into motorcycles for a long time, just buy a good stand. They're not going to deviate from the design anytime soon, and a good stand will last you a lifetime. And $40 is a good chunk of what you'd spend on a better stand, even if you look into a used one.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Yeah, it's not bad for just cleaning chain, adjusting tension/slack and basic work, but I don't think I'd be putting a new bike up on it or doing any major engine work with it. For what it sounds like your using it for, I'm sure it'd be fine.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have that very same HF stand. Have had it for a couple years now. It does SEEM flimsy, but with my bike on it, it is a pretty strong stand. I have a better set, but the rear isn't a spool stand. I was there, and it was there, and it was cheap. Been working for me with no complaints.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
My PitBull rear stand is 15+ years old. Just sayin'.
I bought my Pitbull front and rear stands 2nd hand from a guy that got rid of 1 f his track bikes and didn't need the any longer for $50 each:grin

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought these from cycle gear and they very affordable. Like $70 each, but I got them on sale for a little less. They are very sturdy. I even sit on the bike and practice body position on them in the garage.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts