Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old gel grips are all ripped and pretty sad looking so I ordered these last night. I guess I should have asked before ordering, but does anyone have experience with these (good or bad), and are they compatible with my Throttlemeisters?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The throttlemeister is basically a brake. These look like a lockon for the clutch side and a complete throttle tube replacement for the right side. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, I think it's the complete throttle tube, and they install without adhesive. I think they should work, just wasn't sure if there would be issue with the TM fitting or with the friction disc. I'm just checking if there are any known issues so I can return them without opening if so. I'll find out soon enough I guess!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The grips came in yesterday, and after reviewing some TM installation vids to reacquaint myself with the procedure it's clear that these will not work with the TM without modification. The TM friction sleeve needs to be installed over the throttle tube then have the grip rubber rolled back over it to hold it in place. These grips have that rigid aluminum ring on the end so it won't be possible to do this. I saw one vid of a guy installing similar grips (Driven D3's) and his solution was to just remove the outer ring. That ruins the look and defeats the purpose of getting these grips IMO, so that's not an option I'm willing to go with. I'm thinking to fashion a friction ring adhered to the end of the ring somehow. Stay tuned . . .

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I tried the Plasti Dip and it was a no go - it just wouldn't stick to the anodized aluminum. It's designed to be peelable, and that's exactly what it does. I'm guessing any kind of paint wouldn't last due to wear - it would have to be some kind of vulcanized rubber to stand the test of time. I'm back to thinking of modifying the TM friction sleeve or using a rubber washer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm at my second attempt at it, this time with DupliColor Bed Armor. I was thinking it would adhere better and be more durable, but after pulling the outer layer of masking tap off it appears to peel similarly to the Plasti Dip so I'm a little bit dubious as to whether it's going to work either. I'm heating it with a hair dryer for a few minutes at a time and am going to wait a full 24 hrs to let it cure fully before pulling off the last layer of masking tape.

If this doesn't work I may try something like VHT high temperature paint, but I'm beginning to get a little skeptical about this method and may just switch to the fabbed friction disc or modifying the TM friction sleeve idea.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I scuffed it up with the rough side of a dish washing sponge and cleaned it with alcohol. I don't want to scuff it too aggressively because i don't want to damage the grips.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the Bed Armor was a no go as well. It held for a couple of times but peeled off eventually. The more I think about it, all I need is and rubber washer with a 7/8"+ I.D. and about 1/16" thick. I can epoxy it to the Rizoma grip but it probably doesn't need to be as long as it grips both the TM cam and the Rizoma it should hold I think. Gonna look for one tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Buy some grip tape, like used on stairs its adhesive on one side and last sand paper on the other and just cut a washer to fit the end of the grip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts