Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 GSXR 750

I just started having an issue this past weekend where I would be riding and the RPMS dropped to 0 for 1 second and then came back up to where it was a second ago. This would happen every 30 seconds to minute.
After trying to see what was the issue while riding, I found that it was happening right around 4K RPMS only. If I was 5K RPMS or higher, it wouldn't happen.
I didn't try at any lower RPMS, because I need to adjust my TPS.

I have to adjust my TPS because mine looks like _C00.
I do not think this is the issue, but I believe it will fix the slight jerkyness down around 1500 - 2000 rpms.

I have an error, but that is because of the STVA. The prior owner fixed it by removing the secondary butterflies, so I can rev higher than 8K RMPS and can go as fast as the bike will allow.

I have read that my drop in RPMS could be due to an O2 Sensor going or gone bad. My service & Repair manual says that I need to test it by measuring the resistance.
I will be doing this tomorrow along with fixing the TPS and setting it in the correct setting -C00 or just about topped out (as mentioned in different threads as being the best setting).

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen, fixed it or knows someone that fixed it and what they did to fix it.

I am going to test the O2 Sensor and post my findings.
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a small update.

How come no one has posted on this.
No one has experienced this before?

I adjusted my TPS since it was reading _C00. I adjusted it high like others had mentioned in the forum to try to get rid of the herky jerky. Wow, I really had that at low rpms. I could go higher, but it is not all the way up (meaning the thing you have to adjust is not all the way up).

So, after I fixed that, I read that I needed to test the resistance on the O2 sensor. Well, it was removed when the previous owner installed a Jardine GP muffler.
But, I did find that the large tube that connects to the rear of the air box was disconnected and just laying down, so I am hoping that this might have been what caused me from losing rpms at 4k rpms.

We will see. I will ride it Saturday and Sunday to see if it is still dropping to 0 rpms.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update....

I just went for a ride and it seems like the Herky Jerky is gone at very low rpms, but because I adjusted the TPS high now, I think it is causing it to backfire if I am high in the revs and let go of throttle. Pretty cool though...

I think I am going to leave it like this for a little bit and see how it does.

For the 4K rpm issue I am having with the revs dropping down to 0 and then back up again is still happening. I am going to have to pop the tank up and see if that airbox hose is still connected. If not, it might be that again. The clamp is missing so I just pushed it up hard on the fitting, but it should have held.

I will have another update later.

Is there anyone else out there with this issue where the revs drop to 0 and then back up?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found on another forum a short while ago someone that had the same issue with a 04 Busa. The person had removed a spark plug to inspect it and dropped it on accident. He installed it and now it was having the same problem as mine. He pulled it out, regapped it and now there is no issue.

I did put all new spark plugs in so maybe one is not gapped correctly. I will be checking that now.

The kickstand shut off kills the engine and power, right?
I only loose RMPS and gas delivery, the engine is still running and the bike still has power.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,951 Posts
Are the motor RPM's dropping to zero or just the display?

·
SuperMod of the North
26,951 Posts
Do you have to hit the starter to restart? If so OIF may be right.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't do anything but wait one second and the rpms come back up to where ever they should be. For example, if the rpms were at 4K and then drop to 0, if I do not move my hand, then it will come back to 4k, but if I move my hand, it will go to whatever rpms it should be based off the throttle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hmm have u called any shops to get their take on what could be wrong?

If it were the kickstand you would have to manually start it back up and based on your description i highly doubt thats it.Def make sure u didn't gap one of the plugs if you haven't already since u mentioned.

Part of me wants to say its something electrical. Maybe your regulator is going bad and its hiccuping power to the throttle. Your lights and display aren't dimming are they? I know for a fact that in the 06-07 models people have had problems because its located so close to the radiator and they have overheating issues. I had an 07 750 and i had a similar issue and my lights started going in and out and fried a battery and eventually it just stopped and i left it alone (dumb ass) and it ended up frying my ecu mid-ride one day causing my bike to shut down completely while i was moving.

Couple of questions for you, Is it happening every single time your at 4k and is the shutdown pause time consistently the same?
Also is it happening in every single gear including neutral or just a certain gear?

I don't claim to be a pro mechanic so if anyone notices I'm way off don't hate on me too hard. I just know what its like to be enjoying your ride one day then having something go wrong that u cant seem to find an answer to so I'm trying to help a fellow rider.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is happening the exact same pause at 4k rpm in 4th, 5th and 6th gear. I haven't really been going slow enough to check less than 4th.

It is not the Rectifier or the Stator, because they are brand new (less than one month old). My power doesn't go off or nothing dims. It is just like you are pulling in the clutch to lose power to the engine, but instead of the revs climbing, they just drop to 0 and then come back up after 1 second.

·
Banned
12,190 Posts

If it were the kickstand you would have to manually start it back up and based on your description i highly doubt thats it.

Why would you have to manually re start you would loose power then the motion of the bike would jump start it again.Sounds like it is not the cause but wanted to point that out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They all are great points.

I am not sure if it is the Tip Sensor because it is only happening at 4k rpm. If I ride at 5k or higher, nothing happens. I could ride all day long and it would never happen, but as soon as I am around 4k rpm, bam it happens.

I don't need to be taking a turn in 2nd or 3rd gear at 4K rpm and the bike just lose power and surge forward. That would not be good.

Keep the ideas coming, I do appreciate everything you guys are saying.

I am going to check the spark plugs in the morning and make sure they are all gapped correctly. I picked up another one today just incase something goes wrong while I am messing with one of them.

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
Question did you check the side stand switch push it in and out to see if it is working properly,the spring on the stand holds it up tight.Also the tip sensor is fairly easy to access have a look before you rule it out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They all are great points.

I am not sure if it is the Tip Sensor because it is only happening at 4k rpm. If I ride at 5k or higher, nothing happens. I could ride all day long and it would never happen, but as soon as I am around 4k rpm, bam it happens.

I don't need to be taking a turn in 2nd or 3rd gear at 4K rpm and the bike just lose power and surge forward. That would not be good.
I agree with OIF,check that stuff first as its simple stuff and can be easily ruled out then work your way in.

So your saying u can get above 4k sometimes without it skipping, so in other words its not happening every time?

I would park it at your house one day throw it in neutral and see if you can get it to do it then. As far as other gears take it out to a straight road..a highway or something that doesnt have many turns and see if it acts up in multiple gears.

My only thought is since your holding the throttle and the cables are opening her up and its still cutting in and out then if it does it in multiple gears and ur plugs are ok then i would imagine it has to be something electrical. The fact is only does it at 4k makes me say fuel or ecu/harness malfunction :/

·
Registered
50 Posts
had the same issue on my 05 1k mines was the kickstand saftey switch i order new springs still did the same thing so i just bypassed the kickstand switch and havnt had any problems since

·
Registered
63 Posts

If it were the kickstand you would have to manually start it back up and based on your description i highly doubt thats it.

Why would you have to manually re start you would loose power then the motion of the bike would jump start it again.Sounds like it is not the cause but wanted to point that out.
Ya your totally right now that i think about it.I stand corrected. Roll starts are essentially the same thing right?

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
had the same issue on my 05 1k mines was the kickstand saftey switch i order new springs still did the same thing so i just bypassed the kickstand switch and havnt had any problems since
Ya your totally right now that i think about it.I stand corrected. Roll starts are essentially the same thing right?
Come on kick stand theory this could do great justice to the kick stand safety switch club I am starting if this pans out.:popcorn:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts