Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
while i was headed to the shop i had to fill up on gas, after i filled up. the problem stopped so thought it was bad gas making it have the problem so i never took it the shop. it wasent happening for a while but then yesterday i took it for a ride and the problem started again. i have no idea what the problem is?

·
Registered
480 Posts
My 06 gsxr just started doing the same thing. But its very random. It used to only happen when it was hot, but it happens today right after I first started it. It was 70 out and night time. I'm gonna try to get the kickstand switch modded and see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
tom, our problem is not the kickstand. The kickstand will kill the entire engine. Our engines are running but we have lost power.

·
Registered
480 Posts
im not quite sure if thats a true statement. see, for my case, as i was driving down the road, when my bike died, i imediatly pulled in the clutch, i wasnt going so fast that i couldnt hear my bike, but it was not idleing at all. it was off. i triedto start it, nothing. icame to a stop light, hit the kill switch a couple times, nothing. then, i kicked the kickstand, bingo, started right up. didnt happen again all night. i really wonder

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
im not quite sure if thats a true statement. see, for my case, as i was driving down the road, when my bike died, i imediatly pulled in the clutch, i wasnt going so fast that i couldnt hear my bike, but it was not idleing at all. it was off. i triedto start it, nothing. icame to a stop light, hit the kill switch a couple times, nothing. then, i kicked the kickstand, bingo, started right up. didnt happen again all night. i really wonder
Your problem might be your kickstand and that is not what this thread is about.
Our problem is when you are riding at a certain RPM (engine has been running a while and is warm) 5k RPM, the bike loses RPM's, they just drop (all while the engine is still running).

Your issue sounds like the engine dies. It could be your kickstand or the tip over sensor.

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
Your problem might be your kickstand and that is not what this thread is about.
Our problem is when you are riding at a certain RPM (engine has been running a while and is warm) 5k RPM, the bike loses RPM's, they just drop (all while the engine is still running).

Your issue sounds like the engine dies. It could be your kickstand or the tip over sensor.
Never read the entire thread hope some one mentioned the kickstand switch by now it is the first place I am looking if my bike ever puts up a fuss.!!:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
****PROBLEM SOLVED****
(I wish I could update the title of this thread but I do not see how or where)

I found this on another forum and I only found one mention of it.
It is the kickstand spring. If the kickstand spring is worn and loose, the RPMS between 4K & 5K will vibrate the worn spring enough for it to drop enough to drop the RPMS but not kill the bike.

I replaced my kickstand and spring and have not had this issue surface again.

If it comes up again, I will come remove this update, but I believe this was the cause.

·
Registered
27 Posts
lmao

****PROBLEM SOLVED****
(I wish I could update the title of this thread but I do not see how or where)

I found this on another forum and I only found one mention of it.
It is the kickstand spring. If the kickstand spring is worn and loose, the RPMS between 4K & 5K will vibrate the worn spring enough for it to drop enough to drop the RPMS but not kill the bike.

I replaced my kickstand and spring and have not had this issue surface again.

If it comes up again, I will come remove this update, but I believe this was the cause.
lmao! if only you listen sooner

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
lmao! if only you listen sooner

Read the entire thread, there is no mention of a kickstand spring.
My bike never shut completely off, which is what happens when put down the kickstand while in gear. So, I never thought it was the kickstand.

I have not had this issue happen since I have changed out the kickstand. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys- I just wanted to add a little about the exact same issues that my buddy's bike was having.

So I was doing some research here and found that this was a common issue or should I say common symptoms with some different fixes. My boy's bike is a 98 SRAD w/ Fuel Injection and he was cutting out a around 4000 rpm for a split second and then it would come right back.

We tried the TPs adjustment , adjusted the idle and also tried the kick stand switch bypass, all with no luck.

Finally, I remembered that he swapped batteries out a few days before he started experiencing this issue. And as luck would have it, there it was, a bad freaking connection at the battery. Problem solved!!:laughingr

I hope this helps those that may be having similar issues. It may be another place to check or rule out...

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Read the entire thread, there is no mention of a kickstand spring.
My bike never shut completely off, which is what happens when put down the kickstand while in gear. So, I never thought it was the kickstand.

I have not had this issue happen since I have changed out the kickstand. Problem solved.
Dude thats like saying if someone tells you to check that the clutch safety switch is working correctly that you dont consider the clutch lever as part of it. You wanted no part of hearing that it could be the kickstand switch. Always ask and dont expect to be completely spoonfed an answer. I'm not trying to sound like a dick but there are so many people on this forum that wont check what they are told to check and could have things fixed weeks earlier if they would accept that people on here may have a clue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
well, i just read this whole post and im hoping itll fix my issue, same deal, cuts out right around 5k-5500 RPM in most gears, speedo still reads, gear still reads, needle drops to nothing, then after a moment or two kicks back in. i havnt looked into my spring on my kick stand because the previous owner painted it and its firm to kick up and down, probly wouldnt even need a return spring, but i had the issue come up when i was riding it right before winter and it happened rarely. After i put a new battery in it a few weeks ago, an started riding it again, it started happening more frequently. As i was about to start digging into the matter, i hit a wet spot coming out of a turn an high sided my bike, so it was the least of my concerns. I got a new shift lever put on it an patched it up a bit an went for a ride to check adjustments earlier, and it was happening EVERY time i hit 5k under light acceleration or cruising so i jumped on here to research the issue(i just registered yesterday) ill let you know what i find, but sounds very promising.

My bike is a k6 1000 with full race yoshi tri oval exhaust, power commander V and K&N filter. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
My money is on the spring.
If you have a friend to help you, you can have them zip tie the kick stand up tight and then go for a short ride and then have them cut them off when needed.

Good luck and definitely let us know.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
My money is on the spring.
If you have a friend to help you, you can have them zip tie the kick stand up tight and then go for a short ride and then have them cut them off when needed.

Good luck and definitely let us know.
PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS :0001136745-facepalm

·
Registered
1 Posts
05 gsxr 1k

My bike just started doing this yesterday for the first time as well. I was cruising around 5krpm in 4th gear and the bucking horse started. I could shift gears or pull in the clutch and it would go back to normal but at a steady 5k in 4th gear, the rpm would go to zero or about two seconds and jump back to 5k. I recently installed a full yosh on it without a power commander and thought it may be a mapping/fuel issue because it doesn't have one installed currently. My kickstand is stiff and will look into this first but I read that another person had their bike remapped and that had fixed their issue so I'll keep you posted. Good Forum and valid info...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let us know what they say.
Hey I seriously think I bought your bike today. Same color wheels and no stickers and same Color and everything and my first drives home from the dealership it's doing the same thing bogs down between 4K and 6k did you ever find the issue?

·
Super Moderator
9,365 Posts
Hey I seriously think I bought your bike today. Same color wheels and no stickers and same Color and everything and my first drives home from the dealership it's doing the same thing bogs down between 4K and 6k did you ever find the issue?
Welcome Blade.

Go to the tech section and start a new thread with a description of YOUR problem. Please be as detailed as possible.

Also, post an intro, with pics of your bike, in the "new riders and members" section when you get a chance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
im having the same probs gixxer man it boggs bet 4-6k when i open the throttle sounds like its getting too much air. i changed the plugs to a hotter type,adjusted the tps but i did it with the engine off and cold some one told me it was wrong i havent changed it back the dash is at the top,it idles high,exhaust valve removed and wire pulled from ecu prev owner did it,by passed the kickstand for two reasons the probs and it flickers in N and when revved it comes on and off in gonna have a guy chk the gear pos sens maybe thats the prob some ppl say it can be the cause for the gsxr in general we'll see,the o2 sens seems disconnected somehow dont get a code plugged or unplugged im stumped but still chkn

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
im having the same probs gixxer man it boggs bet 4-6k when i open the throttle sounds like its getting too much air. i changed the plugs to a hotter type,adjusted the tps but i did it with the engine off and cold some one told me it was wrong i havent changed it back the dash is at the top,it idles high,exhaust valve removed and wire pulled from ecu prev owner did it,by passed the kickstand for two reasons the probs and it flickers in N and when revved it comes on and off in gonna have a guy chk the gear pos sens maybe thats the prob some ppl say it can be the cause for the gsxr in general we'll see,the o2 sens seems disconnected somehow dont get a code plugged or unplugged im stumped but still chkn

I think it would be best to start a new thread with a full description of what <b>your</b> bikes symptoms are, full history of when it started doing it and what you've changed since the bike worked fine.

I am confused cause you've said you "have the same problem" on this thread and the one where there was no power over 6k rpm. The two symptoms are very different.

Please help us to help you.

Also an intro thread with pics is the etiquette around these parts - aplogies if you've already done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 69 Posts