Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After over a decade since I last raced, I've gotten the itch badly so I've just today taken delivery of a cheap and cheerful K1 600 for some track days in the summer. She needs a few bits doing as she's 22 years old with 42k on the clock but she came with a brand new MOT so I can use her on the road for a bit and learn how she responds.

Even though I've been a biker for over 20 years, I've never owned a Suzuki before so thought I'd join up rather than lurking in the background stealing information in the hope that I may be able to offer help and also expand my Suzuki knowledge.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The seat unit is aftermarket, it was accident repaired in 2005 and a UK Cat D. As it'll end up being tracked and I don't intend selling it, it doesn't matter. The levers are a little loose so I'm replacing those with some MZS stubbies. The end can is loose as well, initial inspection makes me think it's a slip-on that's been shoved into the 4 bolt flange socket :rolleyes: so there may be some modifications required.

I'm already looking at building up a spares stock, seen a couple of nice low mileage engines for reasonable money :LOL:

· Token Canuck
32,186 Posts
I am guessing UK Cat D is similar to our Salvage titles. Has been written off and can't be licenced for road use again?

We have a bunch of track guys here. This thread is a good start for all things track.

· Administrator
12,442 Posts
Welcome. Scratch that itch!

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am guessing UK Cat D is similar to our Salvage titles. Has been written off and can't be licenced for road use again?

We have a bunch of track guys here. This thread is a good start for all things track.

Under the old system (which was changed around 2018 I think), Cat C and Cat D can be repaired for road use but costs are deemed too high a proportion of vehicle value so the insurance company writes it off. Cat D (now Cat N) is cosmetic damage only, Cat C (now Cat S) is minor structural damage which has to be repaired and certified as safe before going back on the road. Cat A and B are for more serious damage with A meaning that 100% has to be destroyed, B means that it can be stripped for parts and the chassis destroyed.

Welcome to the Suzuki GSXR family sir and congratulations on returning to two wheels!
Not returning as such, just returning to track (eventually). I have 4 other bikes in my stable - 893 FireBlade, Foxeye FZR600R (up for sale once MOTd), FZR400R 1WG (resto project with mint fairings - highly unusual lol) and VFR800 v-tec.

· Token Canuck
32,186 Posts
...I have 4 other bikes in my stable - 893 FireBlade, Foxeye FZR600R (up for sale once MOTd), FZR400R 1WG (resto project with mint fairings - highly unusual lol) and VFR800 v-tec.
Oohhhh. Pics of the FZRs would be greatly appreciated! I am about to start an '86 FZ600 rescue build as soon as the weather clears. I may be picking your brain about that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts