Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well thank you TS Nestor. A week earlier it was supposed to be pretty nice on Saturday and crappy on Sunday but the low pressure moved east quicker and we had constant rain at Road Atlanta Saturday.

It was drizzling at tech and the rider's meeting but it was almost 60 degrees so not too bad.

I got in three fun (I can say that now) sessions in steady rain and learned a lot about wet traction and Q3+ tires. All in all, they did well even with the back tire flipped. I did feel the bike getting strange feeling about 140 so that was my limit.

There were plenty of places for some slips and slides and by session 2 I thought I had a decent line to avoid most of them. T7 just wigged me out each time around as there was sealer right at the entrance to the turn that ran all the way to the exit. It was glassy looking and I tiptoed around that corner each time.

I was ready to go for round 4 till I sat around for over an hour during lunch and the enthusiasm dwindled. That combined with heavier rain and the temperature dropping told me to pack it up for the day. They closed the track early at 3:30 do to flooding on the track so I didn't miss much.

I'm glad I rode, it was good experience, but I would not pay $250 to do it again if I have a choice. :grin

Attachments

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Hi John,
Thanks for the update, glad you had no bad mishaps.

I'm asking to learn, and I'm currently on D 3+'s too.
When you said with the back tire flipped? Was that on purpose b/c it might channel water better and
work better in the rain?

I bet it did feel strange at 140, in the rain!

·
Premium Member
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi John,
Thanks for the update, glad you had no bad mishaps.

I'm asking to learn, and I'm currently on D 3+'s too.
When you said with the back tire flipped? Was that on purpose b/c it might channel water better and
work better in the rain?

I bet it did feel strange at 140, in the rain!
Actually no mishaps and I can't say even any "oh shit" moments. I'll chalk that up to doing some off pavement riding on the DR650. I felt the bike moving but no big deal.

I flipped the rear to even out the wear when I went to CMP a few weeks ago. It was pretty even but even though I had no question it would pass tech, the sipes on the side were not that deep. I wasn't too concerned about water channeling on the back. I would have been more concerned if I was running the front backwards.

The funny part is looking at the 1 inch chicken strips that have balled up rubber with smooth tire in between. I doubt I ever got much heat in the tires.

Yes, I think I was on the edge of hydroplaning at that speed as the bike just felt very "light". I experienced that once before at VIR where the bike just drifted sideways even though I was almost straight up. I don't need to pull on that tiger's tail.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would not pay $250 to do it again if I have a choice. :grin
+1

yeah exactly how I free about paying to ride in the rain. Free or $25 I would maybe go out and have fun.
but to ride less than 70% for full price??? I'd rather find a quiet road for a 70% effort ride and do it for free.
That said, it's just even more experience under your belt.

·
Premium Member
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my pics at Road Atlanta from last Saturday. (Yes, my back tire is flipped :grin)
191019 RA Fav in Rain Smaller 523kb.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good pic! It looks like the back was stepping out on you just a bit.
Not that I noticed in that turn, but pretty consistent in a few others.

I'm definitely not in the slide the back around league, but I will say that riding off pavement with the DR and sumo has been a huge help dealing and reacting to slips and slides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts