Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Separate to my threads related to the issues getting this bike running right, I thought I'd share where I am in the build process with it.

I picked up an original non runner 93 GSXR750 in May this year and decided to make it into a "34" Pepsi tribute bike. Normally im a stickler for OEM restorations and originality but in this case 1) I wanted to do something a bit custom 2) the 93 colour schemes and splash/slash graphics are not my favourite 3) graphics/decals for this year are few and far between, the decals I did find have no printed fade/transition (from blue to purple) and they are from companies that I refuse to deal with due to poor quality product in the past and finally 4) for some reason ( I have some ideas on this), it seems to me the 93's are the black sheep of the GIXXER family and so it made sense in my mind to use this bike as my canvas for a custom.

Bike was all original and complete, had a low & slow fall on the left, and Bubba (PO) had hacked off the rear subframe with a sawz-all after he stripped the frame bolt. Bubba scabbed the frame back together with a Stanley "L" bracket and carriage bolts. (WTF Bubba ?).

so far:

New Subframe installed
New brakes, wheel bearings, fork seals etc
Vance and Hines 4 into 1 and an SC Project silencer
Painted the wheels and all the Bodywork myself ( my buddy is a pro painter and has a nice booth)
New grips and bar ends
Oil and coolant changed (brake fluid still to do)

Still trying to sort out t why its running so bad (still dropping cylinders - see my other thread)

Decals application just started, and I need to find more tasteful turn signals for it

"34" decals were designed by me and produced locally. I have yellow '34' decals for the sides of the tail cowl as well.
Pepsi Decals still to go on the lower fairings, fender and tail too.

As she arrived:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tear down and problem solving starts:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Here you see Bubba's handy work on the subframe. I have no idea what possesses someone to resort to this type of action. Bubba hs stripped the Allen head bolt that holds it to the frame, then bubba tried to grind the head off the bolt, when that failed his instincts told him to hack it off with a saw and then scab it back together with a Stanley L bracket and 2 carriage bolts because...thats gotta be safe right ? ----- 45 minutes with a drill and a thread extractor and I had the stripped bolt out.

Hood Product Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Duplicolour wheel paint does a good job, the ol playing cards trick is great for masking if the tires are staying on the rim

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Assembly underway, new subframe, wheels, exhaust, grips, fork seals, bearings etc - still running like Sh#t

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Bodywork all painted, very happy with how I did on that. This was the first full paint job I'd done in a long time. A buddy of mine is a professional painter and has a booth at home. Id enjoy painting years ago (did a few cars in the 80's with mixed results) and wanted to do more now, so I asked him to give me some lessons. This was my first full job on a bike, my buddy was a bit surprised how well it came out I think, no runs no orange peel. I decided on a plain white for my first paint job (I really wanted a metallic but Ill save that for another job after more experience). cost me $75 CAD for the white paint (Ready to spray), I paid $50 CAD for a spray gun off Amazon (and wow was it a good gun to use.https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07D6LRX9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and paid my buddy some $ for clear-coat and shop supplies. Decals starting to go on now too. Given that this build is done to a strict budget, I got a set of fairly generic Pepsi decals form a bike graphics place in the UK, we will see how they turn out and the big ones for the side panels will all have to be cut to fit the shape of the fairings and also for the hole sin the lowers:

White Automotive design Motor vehicle Font Art

Everything Yellow and black is a decal, getting these lined up right (windshield and fairing transition) was a bit tricky but came out well

Automotive parking light Vehicle White Hood Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,770 Posts
Looks really good. Great to see anyone reviving a classic.

·
Mod of the North
29,107 Posts
Excellent. I was going to ask you to do a thread on the build. 34 is always a good look.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The '93 (maybe 94 as well) seems a bit of an odd ball, although ill admit im not a GSXR expert. Here is what ive noticed so far that makes me wonder why:

The OEM Exhaust - aside from the boat anchor weight of it, the 4-2-1 design seems to have pretty much eliminated the after market "slip on" silencers & mid pipes since they would have to attach to 2 pipes underneath and you cant cut the mid pipe to use a slip on due to the angle of it. A full 4 into 1 seemed to be the only real option for these. it may explain why most that ive seen have the OEM exhaust still attached.

The front fender mount/fork brace - Wow, talk about over engineered, why so large, never seen shuch a large hunk of steel lining the full underside of the fender like that

Not sure what the deal is with the 50/50 swing arm, one Side is a good looking banana and the other side an old school straight arm - must have been a reason, im just not sure why.

Prices generally cheaper than bikes produced before 91 and after 95, these dont seem as desirable.

Any insights are appreciated, I'm just learning the GSXR history, but always liked the twin headlight look.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,770 Posts
My take on it, is that before '96 gen, they were still focused on being "race ready" superbikes. After '95 they seemed to become a little more "consumer" focused.
The mid to late 80's GSXR's are so freaking expensive because one, they didn't make as many of them as they do these days, therefore not very many survivors available. AND the '85 GSXR750 was the beginning of it all. It was the first true race bike mass produced for the public. The '85 750 is the holy grail for any japanese sport bike collection.
Personally, my favorite gen of the GSXR is ours. The first gen to be liquid cooled, and just the best looking in my opinion.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My take on it, is that before '96 gen, they were still focused on being "race ready" superbikes. After '95 they seemed to become a little more "consumer" focused.
Thats Interesting, what is it about the 93-95 that made them more "race ready" in nature Spyder?

I love the body lines on mine, but not a huge fan of the OEM colours and graphics. I think some bikes & manufacturers got the "slash an splash" graphics right in the 90's and some got it wrong. JMHO. Honda got it right most of the time, Yamaha didnt do well at all, Suzuki was 80/20 depending on the year, and Kawasaki did reasonably well with a couple of exceptions.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,770 Posts
Not just the early 90's. I mean the supersport bikes in general up until the late 90's. They were just raw, and brutal. Then the safety police stepped in, and they had to start getting safe, slow, and apparently uglier, LOL.
Won't even TRY to say I like the color/graphics design from the 90's, but they sure do look good when you get rid of that crap.

·
Mod of the North
29,107 Posts
Suzuki is terrible for heavy over sized exhausts. I had not noticed the swing arm, the previous generation 88 to 91 have the flat old school arms. I am wondering (read don't know) if part of it was due to sharing parts with the 1100. You could likely make some speed holes in that plate and have lots of meat left for rigidity.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,770 Posts
The '95 doesn't have the same swinger. It's normal, and aluminum. Straight on both sides.
Looks really nice polished too, lol.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since im waiting for Carb Kits etc, I continued on with the decals this morning. Off to pick up the tank now from my buddy's paint shop, should be good and dry now after we cleared over the decals. More decals this afternoon for the lower's.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Picked up the tank and spent a while messing with the layout of decals for the lower fairing.

Im not super happy with the generic Pepsi kit I got, but there is no kit for the GSXR. The challenge is the blue block on the right side of the Pepsi logo decal isnt wide enough at the top to allow me too cut it in a way that follows the contour of the front part of the fairing. The red block on the left will be ok and the upper part of that that gets chopped off willl go on the frame cover. If I move the whole big decal over to the right more to solve my contour issue with the blue edge, I create a problem on the left with the red block. Ive moved it up, ive moved it down, ive moved it left , ive moved it right, this is the best compromise I think.

the big PITA is the decal maker made the red panel and red semi circle separate from the blue parts of the logo ! that will make it harder to apply and still have it look normal,....we will figure that out, I have a method in mind.

Still messing with the layout of the RK, NGK, Michelin and Motul decals too. trying to decide if I stagger them to the right (as they are) so they follow the contour of the fairing at the leading edge, or do I centre them, like my RGV250 was ??. im leaning toward centering, ie move the "Suzuki" forward a bit, and move the Michelin back a bit.

Of course, with all the holes cut in the fairings, ill lose some of the lettering in "PEPSI" and "SUZUKI". but that s ok.

The Michelin Man logo still has to go on, likely the front fender leg for that, then I have some unused Realestate on the seat side panels in front of the yellow 34 side panels. Gotta find some stuff to go there too, maybe a "GSXR750" decal of some sort.

Enough for today, time for a break, don't wanna rush this. Sleep on it and look at it fresh again tomorrow.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

This RGV kit was superbly made, wish my current kit was as good. see the layout of the Michelin, Motul NGK, RK etc its basically centered except the NGK
Property Window Picture frame Textile Interior design

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Making progress, these are a huge PITA to put on , but im getting there. Still need " GSXR750 " decals and a "R hyper sports" heritage logo for the seat side panels.

Since this is one of my favourite parts of the process, you guys have to suffer through a few more pic's

Im aware that the side panels of the Pepsi logo are dark blue and are typically light blue, and that it soul have been ideal to have the right-hand panels all the way to the front of the fairing, however, this was a generic Kit andI had to make it work as best I could.

Build is being done to a specific budget, so , Perfection isnt affordable, Excellence will do ;)

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do you think of wheel rim stickers ? I have some for the GSXR, but nor sure yet if it will be "too much".

Ill post a pic of the stickers tomorrow and tell me what you think.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,770 Posts
Those might look good with the theme you are going with. Should match the Pepsi colors well.

·
Mod of the North
29,107 Posts
Agreed. I say put them on. I like the little Pepsi decal on the rear brake can.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ill give them a go, if they look bad I can peel 'em off.

Re the pepsi can, thanks, I have to admit, I borrowed the idea from another Pepsi GSXR build a few yrs back. I will actually be re-doing the Pepsi Can, the sticker on there isnt very good, its very very thin. Ill put a thicker one on, I have lots of them

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So ive found the decals I need for the rear side seat panels. I ordered a sub-set off a guy in Australia for a good $, Ill get the Big "R" decals like on the 1988 GSXR and "GSXR750 Slingshot" in black instead of white. I may or may not remove the "slingshot" from the decal too.

we will see what I have room for when they arrive. At minimum the big red "R" will go on

Purple Rectangle Violet Pink Font

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GSXR Build has stalled/paused for a week or two until all my parts arrive. Waiting on Carb Kit, Coils , HT wires, Decals. Seems the slower Christmas/ new year supply chain along with the hit from Omicron COVID19 has wreaked havoc on some businesses.

In the mean time, a wee filler project, im prepping a second set of bodywork for my NS400R (this set in Rothmans colours). 9 Layers of paint and decals were stripped off the spare tank to get back to bare metal. I cant believe someone would actually paint over top of decals :unsure:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts