Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So two weeks ago some tweaker decided to steal my seat and battery from my 2005 GSXR 600.

After buying the wrong seat... twice... (turns out that 1000cc seats aren't the same as the 600.) I finally got the right parts and had some time to brainstorm a solution.

My worry was that as soon as I replace these parts, they are just going to come by and steal it again (I don't have a garage at my apartment... :frown:). I bought a cover for the bike, but a knife will solve that problem and then I'm out a cover too! I have a front disk lock, and the Kryptonite Fuggedaboutit chain that I use to lock the rear wheel to a solid anchor, the support beam for the roof over our covered parking.

I'm not sure how much of this will apply to other years, but I'd imagine that the bolts are all the same size.

The 2004 GSXR 600 seat bolts are M6x1x22mm. Unfortunately most stores don't sell tamper proof bolts, but there are a couple places online that you can buy them.

bicyclebolts.com has the correct size bolts here for $5. It includes two bolts and a wrench.

These bolts are good, but I've actually seen the wrenches for them in hardware stores. They aren't super easy to find, but they aren't very rare either.

I ended up going with these from FMW Fasteners:

I've only ever seen spanner bits in one store, so I don't think they are super common.
The M1x6x20mm bolts are only 68 cents. Don't forget to buy the bit.

Both sites shipped super fast and I had the bolts in just a couple days.

They work without a washer, but I put one on each side to even out the pressure a bit.

Here's a picture of the bolts installed:

To make it look a little bit better, and hopefully confuse your average criminal a little bit, I added these black hinged screw caps.

The screw caps fit perfect and almost look better than the stock bolts.

Just don't forget to put the bit in your toolbag, otherwise you'll be stuck somewhere and not able to take off your own seat. I bought a small ratcheting screwdriver to put the bit in, but you could also get a stubby 1/4" nut driver that will fit in your bag in the tail.

If there is any interest I might put kits together and sell them for about $20. It's a shitty feeling walking out to go for a ride and seeing your bike open with the guts hanging out because some idiot wanted to get high on the core charge for your battery. Still pisses me off that they took the seat too... not much they can do with that.

Another variation on this idea is to use one spanner bolt on one side, and one of the tamper-proof hex/torx bolts on the other. The chances of a thief having one of these bits is slim, but even if they look at one of the bolts, and come back with the right tool, they will then find out that they need the other tool, and *hopefully* just give up.

Stay tuned for when I rig a small pool gate alarm underneath the seat to trigger when the seat is removed from the bike. That's my next project. I have the alarm, just need to do some modifications. My goal is really to just make this tweaker shit his pants if he ever gets my seat off.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not a bad idea though the tamper proof screws are fairly common if you have dealt with tools before. They are much more uncommon than phillips and flat screws at least. Though, I am sure plenty of people will let you know on here, if someone wants something including your whole bike, they will do whatever it takes to get it.

You are on the right track with the alarm but the proximity sensor in some of the alarms out there like the scorpio alarm would work better than just rigging something yourself. It includes its own backup battery and it will send you a notification if anything is happening with your bike. A little expensive but if you are having problems like this it may be wise to invest in it.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I wouldnt trust alarms . GPS yes but not alarms. They can drain the shit out of your battery , read the thread with the former bike thief .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldnt trust alarms . GPS yes but not alarms. They can drain the shit out of your battery , read the thread with the former bike thief .
Yeah, I have GPS (also a req from my bank, lol).

The alarm I have runs off of a 9V, it's more just a little experiment than a serious alarm.

Anyone know anything about this Gorilla alarm?

I have the bike chained to a solid anchor with a really really good chain, but I would like an alarm with a tip sensor, one that isn't so sensitive it goes off every time the wind blows would be nice.

I'm close enough that at night I could keep my keys on my nightstand for the pager function, and hear the alarm if it woke me up.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a bad idea though the tamper proof screws are fairly common if you have dealt with tools before. They are much more uncommon than phillips and flat screws at least. Though, I am sure plenty of people will let you know on here, if someone wants something including your whole bike, they will do whatever it takes to get it.

You are on the right track with the alarm but the proximity sensor in some of the alarms out there like the scorpio alarm would work better than just rigging something yourself. It includes its own backup battery and it will send you a notification if anything is happening with your bike. A little expensive but if you are having problems like this it may be wise to invest in it.
Oh yeah I saw the scorpio on Amazon last night. That's the one that they make the model specific plug and play kits for right? I definitely don't want to start splicing into the bikes electronics.

I want a simple alarm that just goes off if the bike is taken off the kickstand. Don't need any ignition disabling fancy stuff, just makes a loud noise and maybe even pages me, if someone tilts it upright.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Funny thing is I dealt with tamper proof stuff at my previous job every single day (remodeling best buys) so I have safety tools laying around the garage :p never even thought about this either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It looks like a pair of pliers could easily take those bolts out but I applaud your efforts. I've never heard of people jacking just the seat and battery before, strange.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It looks like a pair of pliers could easily take those bolts out but I applaud your efforts. I've never heard of people jacking just the seat and battery before, strange.

It's really common in towns where you find a lot of meth heads.

It has gotten so bad around here that this guy who sells the gas for it doesn't even lock it up cause it has been broken into so many times.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
So two weeks ago some tweaker decided to steal my seat and battery from my 2005 GSXR 600.

After buying the wrong seat... twice... (turns out that 1000cc seats aren't the same as the 600.) I finally got the right parts and had some time to brainstorm a solution.

My worry was that as soon as I replace these parts, they are just going to come by and steal it again (I don't have a garage at my apartment... :frown:). I bought a cover for the bike, but a knife will solve that problem and then I'm out a cover too! I have a front disk lock, and the Kryptonite Fuggedaboutit chain that I use to lock the rear wheel to a solid anchor, the support beam for the roof over our covered parking.

I'm not sure how much of this will apply to other years, but I'd imagine that the bolts are all the same size.

The 2004 GSXR 600 seat bolts are M6x1x22mm. Unfortunately most stores don't sell tamper proof bolts, but there are a couple places online that you can buy them.

bicyclebolts.com has the correct size bolts here for $5. It includes two bolts and a wrench.

These bolts are good, but I've actually seen the wrenches for them in hardware stores. They aren't super easy to find, but they aren't very rare either.

I ended up going with these from FMW Fasteners:

I've only ever seen spanner bits in one store, so I don't think they are super common.
The M1x6x20mm bolts are only 68 cents. Don't forget to buy the bit.

Both sites shipped super fast and I had the bolts in just a couple days.

They work without a washer, but I put one on each side to even out the pressure a bit.

Here's a picture of the bolts installed:

To make it look a little bit better, and hopefully confuse your average criminal a little bit, I added these black hinged screw caps.

The screw caps fit perfect and almost look better than the stock bolts.

Just don't forget to put the bit in your toolbag, otherwise you'll be stuck somewhere and not able to take off your own seat. I bought a small ratcheting screwdriver to put the bit in, but you could also get a stubby 1/4" nut driver that will fit in your bag in the tail.

If there is any interest I might put kits together and sell them for about $20. It's a shitty feeling walking out to go for a ride and seeing your bike open with the guts hanging out because some idiot wanted to get high on the core charge for your battery. Still pisses me off that they took the seat too... not much they can do with that.

Another variation on this idea is to use one spanner bolt on one side, and one of the tamper-proof hex/torx bolts on the other. The chances of a thief having one of these bits is slim, but even if they look at one of the bolts, and come back with the right tool, they will then find out that they need the other tool, and hopefully just give up.

Stay tuned for when I rig a small pool gate alarm underneath the seat to trigger when the seat is removed from the bike. That's my next project. I have the alarm, just need to do some modifications. My goal is really to just make this tweaker shit his pants if he ever gets my seat off.
I am so freaking happy you posted this I just installed my dream security system under my seat and this is the final security layer i need to keep my M1 safe and secure.... I have scorpios RLink paired with the SRX 900 and its just what I wanted!!! I searched Google for hours looking for special tooled bolts and didn't find much hopefully these sites have what I need... I think they are 10mm but thank you thank you and thank you!!! 🏍

·
Registered
783 Posts
Beware, the seat mounting bolts normally have a step on them so that the plastic tabs on the seat don't get crushed. It's possible to make steps that thread onto the screws and are secured with Loktite. But it's a bit of a pain to do so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts