Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably park my bike up for Dec to Feb, what's the considered opinion on leaving E10 in it for a few months?

Annoyingly I just filled it up without thinking about this, and weather's already bad.

We have E10 here in UK as standard, and E5 too as a premium grade.

It's also pretty easy to remove the ethanol from the fuel (mix with water, then drain the water/ethanol off) so maybe I drain the tank, 'process' the fuel and take out the ethanol, and put it back, run it through a bit?

Or is that all really not necessary and the fuel system is designed to deal with this? I'm not overly concerned, just mindful of ways to minimise all the slow processes that gradually age and degrade our machines.

·
Mod of the North
32,045 Posts
What bike are we talking about? Was it designed for E10 fuel? My personal preference would have been to put a fuel stablizer in a full tank of fuel then run it for a bit. EDIT: I like to winter over with a full tank - I don't know if it matters but I like to think less space filled with air is less room for condensation to form.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What bike are we talking about? Was it designed for E10 fuel? My personal preference would have been to put a fuel stablizer in a full tank of fuel then run it for a bit. EDIT: I like to winter over with a full tank - I don't know if it matters but I like to think less space filled with air is less room for condensation to form.
That certainly makes sense to me, about the space in the tank.

Forgot to mention it is MY2010, L0, so, yes, Suzuki say designed for E10. Hence I am not overly concerned but still would like to do better, if there is something better to be done.

I think I should have filled with E5 at least I think and called that job done, oh well.

Font Number

·
Mod of the North
32,045 Posts
Oooh!, my last bike was a 2010! 600! Is yours the blue & gray color scheme?

Yeah, I did not have a problem with mine. I did use Stabil fuel stabilizer in the last tank of gas. I typically also ran some Seafoam through on the second last tank to clean up some of the deposits. Wintering over here is usually the months November through to April. My '89 1100 also winters with E15 in it. I don't think they were rated for it but that is all we got. My biggest concern was the ethanol eating hoses, gaskets, and brass needles. It wasn't an issue last winter but I may change my tune next spring - we will see.

·
Mod of the North
32,045 Posts
It's what I call the 'coca-cola' colour scheme; Hey!! New to this forum.... not so new to GSXRs

If the weather comes good at the end of the month I'll probably run the tank down and top up with E5. I don't think I'll stress about it too much.
Ah yes! I remember now! Loved that color. I don't think we got that here in Canada...well I never saw on here at least.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
3,648 Posts
Standard fuel is fine, just use a stablilizer. My MO is fill it up with stabilized fuel, run it for a bit to cycle that through the rest of the fuel system and shut it down until spring. In the spring, siphon that out into a can for the lawn mower and fill the bike with fresh fuel.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
If you can, get some no ethanol fuel. I’m able to but I have to drive at least 25 miles for it. I agree with what’s been said. It seems the ethanol is very hydrophilic so it grabs water in to the gas. The gas is not so much.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends on how much you have. You can add non ethanol to bring level to full which should turn it to at most E1. Then add an ounce of Stabil and you’re good.
No such thing as non-ethanol fuel here any more.

I can make it, that was my point, if you read that post. But I can't buy it.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Has anyone considered storing the bike with no fuel in it over winter?

I admit I’m clueless as I’m fortunate enough to live where I don’t need to worry about riding vs non riding seasons (and it must be said unfortunate enough to be bike-less right now).

·
Registered
59 Posts
No such thing as non-ethanol fuel here any more.

I can make it, that was my point, if you read that post. But I can't buy it.
You can use a race gas which I know they sell there. Which has no ethanol. If you use Stabil add 4 ounces or even Lucas upper cylinder lubricant. I new a guy who would vacuum seal his tank and removed fuel. Actually minus the work this actually works well.

·
Registered
799 Posts
For my homemade tank (literally) which is bare steel, I will drain but then blow air through it for several hours. Store inside with some silica packs inside the house. It doesn't take long to remove at this point. But for a stock tank... I'd fill it with etoh free if possible.

There is literally NONE around Chicago- probably being so close to the corn belt... You can buy VP ethanol free but it's like $10-20 per gallon I think?
I've always wondered about the adding water to remove etoh method... Make about 4 gallons to store in the tank right before storage? But the fuel itself which can hold some water is supersaturated at this point.

So there are 3 things about gas and storage to worry about...
1) etoh and seals
2) water and etoh and corrosion of aluminum and steel
3) oxidation and precipitation of fuel whether ethanol or not and varnish

we talk about #2 a lot but the rest are issues as well... But again, 3 months probably is fine in a modern fuel injected system.
I think I'll start treating old carbureted bikes differently... Or not...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just reviewing @poacher's comment in another thread about fuel in UK, I found this, and will take a look at the other petrol supplier's offerings too.

Unfortunately, I am currently only a gallon into a tank's worth of E10, but it'll all help dilute it down. I think the thing is that it'd take the fuel that is already inside the fuel system a long time to absorb water and for it to diffuse down the pipes and through the pump to anywhere else, so yeah, OK, will go hunt down this ethanol free fuel, then call the job.

Synergy Fuels | Esso
What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol

Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*
Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.
There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For my homemade tank (literally) which is bare steel, I will drain but then blow air through it for several hours. Store inside with some silica packs inside the house. It doesn't take long to remove at this point. But for a stock tank... I'd fill it with etoh free if possible.

There is literally NONE around Chicago- probably being so close to the corn belt... You can buy VP ethanol free but it's like $10-20 per gallon I think?
I've always wondered about the adding water to remove etoh method... Make about 4 gallons to store in the tank right before storage? But the fuel itself which can hold some water is supersaturated at this point.

So there are 3 things about gas and storage to worry about...
1) etoh and seals
2) water and etoh and corrosion of aluminum and steel
3) oxidation and precipitation of fuel whether ethanol or not and varnish

we talk about #2 a lot but the rest are issues as well... But again, 3 months probably is fine in a modern fuel injected system.
I think I'll start treating old carbureted bikes differently... Or not...
Another biggie for the EtOH arguement is that it gums up injectors if left sitting for an 'extended' period. Fortunately the pressure behind an injector should be enough to blow it away after a while but if you have anything with a carb on it youre screwed if you dont drain it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll do next year differently I think. I was planning to run E5 through it on the last tank, just forgot.

I have a few cans of E10 in the garage too, just in case the apocalypse comes, I need to get that used up when spring comes and replaced with low ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, it was a nice sunny day, and although cold was a quite good riding day, so I checked out the Esso stations in the area, as @poacher suggested, and headed off to one about 15 miles away (not the closest one, went for the ride) for the 99 Octane ethanol-free fuel.

Ironically, it had changed to a Shell garage, so instead I headed back to the nearer one to me, which, heh, had dry pumps for the 99 Octane, so no luck there either.

I filled up at Tesco with their Momentum 99 because the closest fuel station has been out of premium grade for several of my last visits (hence not been buying the stuff lately).

Not sure on the exact Tesco formulation, but I think the more important thing is that the tank's now full, holds pressure, so there should be no water vapour contamination getting into the fuel.

Might be my imagination but the bike did seem to run slightly better after that on the last few miles home. I put 9 litres in, so about a half of the tank with the 99. I can't really explain it, but the engine just seemed to be a bit more 'controllable', I think maybe a bit more low speed torque perhaps.

I think I am going to have to stick with the 99 Octane brands, like I said I was running on that stuff from the local station but they dried up so I just used the 'regular' 95 Octane E10.

The bike is quite dirty from an earlier ride when it was a bit damp a few weeks back, bikes really get horribly dirty very quickly in poor weather! Today was OK but the bike is still dirty, and needs a good clean-up, but is definitely a winter layup now, weather is going to be shit awful next week, and then I think snow in December here.

So, that's it for now, tucked up in the garage. Not a bad summer, 3k or so miles since I got the bike in May. Amazing bike really. It's definitely a different experience to the GSXR1100 that I was 'sort of' looking to re-live from the 90's, but that's not a bad thing. Sometimes it is best not to tamper with golden memories, this is like a next step from that, in many good ways, neither better nor worse than the memories but 'different'.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts