Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, it was a nice sunny day, and although cold was a quite good riding day, so I checked out the Esso stations in the area, as @poacher suggested, and headed off to one about 15 miles away (not the closest one, went for the ride) for the 99 Octane ethanol-free fuel.

Ironically, it had changed to a Shell garage, so instead I headed back to the nearer one to me, which, heh, had dry pumps for the 99 Octane, so no luck there either.

I filled up at Tesco with their Momentum 99 because the closest fuel station has been out of premium grade for several of my last visits (hence not been buying the stuff lately).

Not sure on the exact Tesco formulation, but I think the more important thing is that the tank's now full, holds pressure, so there should be no water vapour contamination getting into the fuel.

Might be my imagination but the bike did seem to run slightly better after that on the last few miles home. I put 9 litres in, so about a half of the tank with the 99. I can't really explain it, but the engine just seemed to be a bit more 'controllable', I think maybe a bit more low speed torque perhaps.

I think I am going to have to stick with the 99 Octane brands, like I said I was running on that stuff from the local station but they dried up so I just used the 'regular' 95 Octane E10.

The bike is quite dirty from an earlier ride when it was a bit damp a few weeks back, bikes really get horribly dirty very quickly in poor weather! Today was OK but the bike is still dirty, and needs a good clean-up, but is definitely a winter layup now, weather is going to be shit awful next week, and then I think snow in December here.

So, that's it for now, tucked up in the garage. Not a bad summer, 3k or so miles since I got the bike in May. Amazing bike really. It's definitely a different experience to the GSXR1100 that I was 'sort of' looking to re-live from the 90's, but that's not a bad thing. Sometimes it is best not to tamper with golden memories, this is like a next step from that, in many good ways, neither better nor worse than the memories but 'different'.
Well at least you got through the e10 you had in your tank. Even if the Tesco stuff is actually e5 then you are 5% better off than before! You arent imagining the improvement with the fuel, my ZX6R was horrible on e10 and I only ever used 1 tank of it... swore never again.
I am taking mine for a dyno run on Friday, the weatherman promises me that it will be dry (but cold), then like yours its off to bed for the winter :-(

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Yeah, Friday looks clear for now, I had a plan for a ride out that day, but yesterday shone so I figured to take the chance when it presented.

Who knows, I might still sneak one last ride in, and one more top up. ;)

Is that for your latest L2 1000? I'd be 'slightly' curious to see how mine fares on a dyno, but it already gives so much that I've no concerns it's low on spec. On the roads around here there's no safe way to redline it, so low priority. I can hit 12k rpm (75mph in 1st) on slip roads to motorways, etc., and it properly delivers. It feels like I'm almost hanging off the bars, and the front wheel starts cocking up, so I think that's solid. If I start doing track days then maybe! ;)

I have a sneaking feeling that at 55k miles it's actually at its optimum condition now and properly running nicely. In reality, these bikes can do multiple 100k if run in and treated nice, so I tend to think that, really, most of the time they barely get run in properly before they get quite a thrashing. Well, that's what they are there for, right? I'm not saying don't give it the full cherries after a few thousand miles, but I think they can 'mature' further still with miles if looked after. You can see this sometimes in youtube videos with guys taking even slightly beaten up older bikes to the dyno with a few 10k miles are putting out rated if not more power. Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, Friday looks clear for now, I had a plan for a ride out that day, but yesterday shone so I figured to take the chance when it presented.

Who knows, I might still sneak one last ride in, and one more top up. ;)

Is that for your latest L2 1000? I'd be 'slightly' curious to see how mine fares on a dyno, but it already gives so much that I've no concerns it's low on spec. On the roads around here there's no safe way to redline it, so low priority. I can hit 12k rpm (75mph in 1st) on slip roads to motorways, etc., and it properly delivers. It feels like I'm almost hanging off the bars, and the front wheel starts cocking up, so I think that's solid. If I start doing track days then maybe! ;)

I have a sneaking feeling that at 55k miles it's actually at its optimum condition now and properly running nicely. In reality, these bikes can do multiple 100k if run in and treated nice, so I tend to think that, really, most of the time they barely get run in properly before they get quite a thrashing. Well, that's what they are there for, right? I'm not saying don't give it the full cherries after a few thousand miles, but I think they can 'mature' further still with miles if looked after. You can see this sometimes in youtube videos with guys taking even slightly beaten up older bikes to the dyno with a few 10k miles are putting out rated if not more power. Let us know how you get on!
I bought it for summer roads but mainly track day fun... I kept getting left behind up the hills at Oulton by the litre bikes on my ZX6R but managed to stuff them on the brakes at the next corner, it was all a bit of a faff. Hence I decided to join the club and get a thou, hopefully make my way from inters to fast group. Not sure if I will make it to the dyno now as I may have to work :-(... worst case, I will get it there next week but it will have to be in the van if its pissing down.
I have a Tenere 700 for trips around Wales but will be doing a big trip on it next year, hopefully Morocco for a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Back to the Thread title,

I just topped off my K5 street, and K6 Track bike with non ethanol Regular. It's all I had in the can atm. Most of what's in there was non ethanol premium though. It attracts less water molecules while it sits for the winter.

Non ethanol is kinda hard to find/get around where I live too.
My sons college about 50 miles away was a station that has both reg. and premium in non ethanol gas thougn.

Damn those corn/ethanol lobbyists in this country! It shouldn't even be in gasoline.
Do you how much water is actually used to get 1 gallon of ethanol?

Reactions: QRO

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Back to the Thread title,

I just topped off my K5 street, and K6 Track bike with non ethanol Regular. It's all I had in the can atm. Most of what's in there was non ethanol premium though. It attracts less water molecules while it sits for the winter.

Non ethanol is kinda hard to find/get around where I live too.
My sons college about 50 miles away was a station that has both reg. and premium in non ethanol gas thougn.

Damn those corn/ethanol lobbyists in this country! It shouldn't even be in gasoline.
Do you how much water is actually used to get 1 gallon of ethanol?
It doesn't even make an environmental sense to me to make and use ethanol. I mean, we're taking carbon out of the natural cycles whether it is from a corn field or from an oil field. I'm not anti-environment by any means, quite looking forward to electric bikes (charged from nuclear power stations!) when they become a real and practical thing, but biofuels just make no sense to me.

All this talk makes me think I might set up a rig to pull out all the ethanol content out of the petrol. If you need a job doing then do it yourself.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts