Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to buy ATGATT armor again after my crash earlier this year before I buy a new bike. Obviously my helmet, jacket, and pants are one time use, but I have Alpinestars bionic back and chest inserts from my old jacket. I didn't land directly on my back, I rolled shoulder to shoulder at about 70MPH with a backpack on. I've inspected the inserts for any visible damage.

I don't see anything at all on the chest inserts, they still look brand new, and the back protector has some light abrasion on the upper part, but nothing that looks like it took any blunt force.

My question is, considering the rolling nature of my crash, can I consider the chest and back armor "like new" or should I consider them as used as the elbow and shoulder pads? The only reason I ask is I'm trying to shave what I can off armor costs since I'm buying a head to toe ATGATT suit. (Broke my foot in the crash and the only thing I didn't have on were boots, 'doh)

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I would say that they are fine as ling as there are no visible cracks etc

·
Registered
931 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the armor. Its not like a helmet, that I would replace after any crash.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm starting to buy ATGATT armor again after my crash earlier this year before I buy a new bike. Obviously my helmet, jacket, and pants are one time use, but I have Alpinestars bionic back and chest inserts from my old jacket. I didn't land directly on my back, I rolled shoulder to shoulder at about 70MPH with a backpack on. I've inspected the inserts for any visible damage.

I don't see anything at all on the chest inserts, they still look brand new, and the back protector has some light abrasion on the upper part, but nothing that looks like it took any blunt force.

My question is, considering the rolling nature of my crash, can I consider the chest and back armor "like new" or should I consider them as used as the elbow and shoulder pads? The only reason I ask is I'm trying to shave what I can off armor costs since I'm buying a head to toe ATGATT suit. (Broke my foot in the crash and the only thing I didn't have on were boots, 'doh)
The Alpinestars back protectors are designed for one impact, when it doubt throw it out is what my mom always said. On the other hand if you plan on replacing I would recommend the CE rated Level 2 protection Forcefield Body Armor offers. It is designed for multiple impacts and does a great job. They offer a full line of protection along with their best selling L2K back protector as well If I can assist you further be sure to shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
^ if your mom's paying the bill then crack on! :lol:
It all comes down to trust, if there's a single element of doubt about the kit, get rid!! It's one less thing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I'm going to look into the forcefield armor, since it's rated for multiple impacts, that sounds better since it can protect from multiple impacts in a single crash.

Not quite ready to buy, having to get this one piece at a time.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm going to look into the forcefield armor, since it's rated for multiple impacts, that sounds better since it can protect from multiple impacts in a single crash.

One piece at a time-yup, me too. That stuff is EXPENSIVE!! Worth it of course, but when you have to get gear for track AND street, you could spend close to 10k I bet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was debating this myself for some of my gear. Took a nasty spill thanks to a drunk driver, but hey I walked away. Say what you want about Icon but it saved my ass. A 70ft slide/roll on asphalt, and I walked away with only some rashing on my hip and a couple nice bruises. I had helmet, jacket, jeans, knee pads, and gloves. Only thing i didnt have on was boots. Had on my leather Converse high tops(they now have lots of personality). Insurance covered the helmet so thats 400 I dont have to spend. Jacket already bought a new one(leather this time). Gloves look really good only a couple light scratches on the palms. Pants have a couple burn marks and some light fraying. The knee pads show no signs of damage at all. So I'm not sure about the gloves, pants, and knee pads. Probably replace gloves to be safe. Jeans and pads though...still not sure.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I have a jacket that I wrecked in that I still wear. I hit pretty hard on my shoulder and messing it up pretty bad and slid on my back etc... I still wear the jacket. I had a icon place look at the jacket and they said all looks fine. So I am not worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,342 Posts

No worries, just let me know when you are ready and I will be happy to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts