Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
It does have a flat spot, I'd replace it personally. Ebay has good deals, just make sure you dont buy another damaged one though.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
That's pretty bad. I'd say it's not safe. I've got a couple flat spots in mine. They're a couple inches long but I measured and it's only the lip. The bead is still round. That looks several inches long. I wouldn't chance it.

Not sure where you live, but around here, if a pothole damages your vehicle under many circumstances they city will pay for the repairs. Check your local laws.

·
Super Moderator
8,911 Posts
There are a number of companies that can straighten that easily.

If you're in the southeast, Wills Rim Repair in Greenville, SC is well recommended.

Reactions: Winchester Boy

·
Registered
500 Posts
That is NOT a small dent, that is horrifically damaged. Buy a new wheel. The cost to fix that would buy you a used wheel on eBay.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I'm FINALLY getting around to replacing the wheels. I'm getting 2 straight wheels tomorrow, Now I have a new question. The rear wheel (The one in this post with what I've learned to be a massive flat spot, Hence the name..."Newb." ?) has a tire that has less than 1k on it. Did I do any major damage to the tire itself? Or would it be ok to re-mount it on the wheel I'm picking up in the AM?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is NOT a small dent, that is horrifically damaged. Buy a new wheel. The cost to fix that would buy you a used wheel on eBay.
Please check my previous comment and teach me something. Tire is still holding air even after all these months. So my gut says it's still good. But let me know what you think if you can. I appreciate your time.

·
Super Moderator
8,911 Posts
I'll say again that the dent is minor, in the flange only, and is a simple repair by a competent shop. Believe whatever you want.

As far as the tire, yes it is usable as long as careful inspection of inside does not show any damage or belt/cord separation. The question is whether it is worth it if you are paying someone to mount the tire.

There are several sales and rebates going on right now so you can put on a new tire for not much more than re-using the old one. The last part is the age of the tire. If it's over 2 or 3 years old, it is probably not worth re-using.

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
I'll say again that the dent is minor, in the flange only, and is a simple repair by a competent shop. Believe whatever you want.

As far as the tire, yes it is usable as long as careful inspection of inside does not show any damage or belt/cord separation. The question is whether it is worth it if you are paying someone to mount the tire.

There are several sales and rebates going on right now so you can put on a new tire for not much more than re-using the old one. The last part is the age of the tire. If it's over 2 or 3 years old, it is probably not worth re-using.
^^^^^

What he said

·
Registered
343 Posts

Yeah I agree with John here too. It's fixable, not too hard to do by someone with the tools and experience, and yeah as cheep as new tires are, I don't think it's worth reusing old tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The tire has less than 1k on it and isn't even a year old. That's why I want to try and reuse it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts