Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a k5 600 that quit on me this morning.

6500 miles on the engine, sudco full exhaust, TeKa tuned, 1K on the plugs, changed and measured oil 300 miles ago after a lowside over an ice patch rashed through the stator cover.

Started up the engine today and white smoke begins to stream out the exhaust (70 degree rainy weather). Temp guage quickly shoots from --- to 90 and the engine develops a slow lumpy idle, as if starting from near freezing temps.
I twist the throttle up to 2K rpm and it dies. Now the engine won't turn over.

Since the smoke was white, I'm guessing water/coolant is the issue.

Anyone have any advice? If the weather lets up, I plan on checking fluids and plugs when I get back...

What could it be? I don't push the bike hard, so I'm wary to say it's the head gasket. If it is, how much does that run at a shop? Is it worth having a shop rebuild or will it be cheaper to buy an Ebay motor (750 would be nice...) and install it myself. I'm mechanically inclined, but not comfortable taking apart internals.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
It will definitely be cheaper to do an Ebay motor, but unfortunately good motors from that generation are becoming hard to find. A complete rebuild is going to cost somewhere in the two grand range. You could save money by doing a lot of the work, such as pulling the motor, yourself. If it's just bearings that are fried, new bearings and journal refinishing can be done fairly inexpensively if you do most the work and take the parts to a machine shop. If the cylinder walls are scored, that's major machine work and the Nickasil coating has to be replaced (requiring a specialty shop.)

It sounds like your motor seized up from a coolant leak or blown head gasket. Drain the oil and check to see if it's a frothy white color.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty confused right now...

pulled the drain bolt and the oil is still golden/black. No coolant here...

Pulled out the airbox- clean as a whistle (i keep my whistles extra clean)...

checked all 4 plugs - a thin film of fuel on the plugs (up to the 2nd/3rd thread). A bit rich- I wouldn't think enough to foul them out. Or am I wrong? :shifty
Wiped them clean and put them back in w/ a snug twist o' the wrist (and a tiny turn of a socket wrench).

Put everything as it was and tried starting it again....no dice.

It sounds like it's about to turn over, but just keeps stumbling.

Any ideas? I was thinking it might be gummed up injectors- moved to Alabama a few months ago and they run that 10% ethanol booboo.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
When you say won't turn over do you mean the crankshaft won't spin or it won't start?

From your previous post, it sounded vapor locked. But if it just won't stay running, try raising your idle. Will it stay running if your on the throttle?

I wouldn't be too worried about the white smoke since that's fairly normal if the bike sat for a while and you mentioned it was a pretty rainy, humid day.

Head gaskets don't fail from sitting in the garage:D If it ran fine when you parked it, it's probably something minor.

I've had bikes not start simply from a weak battery, it'll crank and crank and crank but not fast enough to start. Try throwing a charger on it on low amp and see if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol:, The first thing i checked was the gas- plenty of fuel sitting in the tank

Battery might make sense- perhaps it just doesn't have enough amps to fully crank over- but that doesn't explain why the engine cut out after it fully started in the morning..

I don't think it's an idle issue- I've had plenty of idle agony messing with chokes on older bikes/cars- though this my first FI bike.

Bloody gsxr's demand sweat and frustration...It's raining out now, I'll give it a go w/ jumpers tomorrow and update. Thanks for the help- it's always good to have a community of friendly gearheads.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
I'm pretty confused right now...

pulled the drain bolt and the oil is still golden/black. No coolant here...

Pulled out the airbox- clean as a whistle (i keep my whistles extra clean)...

checked all 4 plugs - a thin film of fuel on the plugs (up to the 2nd/3rd thread). A bit rich- I wouldn't think enough to foul them out. Or am I wrong? :shifty
Wiped them clean and put them back in w/ a snug twist o' the wrist (and a tiny turn of a socket wrench).

Put everything as it was and tried starting it again....no dice.

It sounds like it's about to turn over, but just keeps stumbling.

Any ideas? I was thinking it might be gummed up injectors- moved to Alabama a few months ago and they run that 10% ethanol booboo.
OOoooooohhhhhhh - I'll bet I know what it is..... And gummed up injectors is probably right.

If you previously came from an area that still uses MTBE, and put ethanol gas in your tank, those two react and form a black, gummy substance that clogs injectors. It doesn't seem to hurt cars' fuel injection systems, but it has notoriously caused problems for motorcycles.

The thin film of gas on your plugs is probably just fuel that didn't get ignited when you were cranking it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
OOoooooohhhhhhh - I'll bet I know what it is..... And gummed up injectors is probably right.

If you previously came from an area that still uses MTBE, and put ethanol gas in your tank, those two react and form a black, gummy substance that clogs injectors. It doesn't seem to hurt cars' fuel injection systems, but it has notoriously caused problems for motorcycles.

The thin film of gas on your plugs is probably just fuel that didn't get ignited when you were cranking it.
aaaahhhhhh good call, I know for automotive we used a pressurized cleaner that you can run through may be able to adapt or get one for the fuel lines on a motorbike. it was pretty simple if the fuel pressure was 50psi you emptied the cleanor into a tub that had an air fitting on top and hooked it to the intake side of fuel line. block off return if not a returnless system and apply air pressure regulated to 50psi, it would run on the cleaner and when it died, the cleaner was empty. pretty sure it was wynn's. and seemed to work pretty well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After losing my damn mind trying to figure out how to fix the thing.. it fixes itself:headshake

It's a bright, sunny day in 'bama, first in a week. i try and start it and it turns on the first try:bounce. idles rough but eventually gets to 1400- right where i want it.

I throttle it a bit and it dies. Start it up again w/ some throttle and it's back to 1400. Rev it and the engine returns back down to 1100 before eventually coming back. i repeat the process, each time revving a little bit more, till at 10K rpm, the needle settles at 1300. drive it around a bit more and everything is back to normal....WTF

I think Mister Tee got it right: gummed up injectors.

Or it was rain/condensation....bloody hell. I don't care anymore: it WORKS

I appreciate everyone's help and diagnosis tips. A round of golf claps for all :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Check you cam timing for one thing. If you have a manual there's and easy view the mark on the crank method. If the timing is off valve or iginiton wise you aren't matching up when to ignite so you could get the valves open when they are blowing fuel fumes then get a spark to ignite then smoke out the exhaust.

Having a problem with a bike really sucks. Now you know what mechanics go through hehehe. Gotta check everything.

·
The Bestest Racer
3,027 Posts
The white smoke you mentioned in the original post... That's normal. On damp, rainy days it will pour out what appears to be smoke, but it is actually just exhaust saturated in moisture.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts