Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like the title says...i was ridding to work yesterday, and there was a dog in the middle of the road. i slowed down to about 5mph cause it was a big dog (yellow lab), and the dog started jumping, so i hit the brakes even more...afraid it would jump on me and knock me over. (my plan was to stop, kick the dog in the head then go again) the damn dog jumped on my leg while i was coming to a stop, and i didn't have my leg down yet so it threw me off balance. my bike fell to the ground but i managed to stay up. i punched the dog in the side and he took off...i picked my bike up and went on my way.

the wreck didn't tear up my bike very bad, it scratched the engine cover in the right side of the bike, and scratched the exhaust heat shroud, no plastic damage (thankfully!), and nothing that a little touch up paint didn't fix.

with that happening, and recently scratching my windshield...i'm beginning to think i shouldn't be on a bike. :headshake: i do not plan on giving up ridding...EVER. it is one of the greatest things i've ever done, but my bike only has 430 miles on it. so sad...i feel like i'm killing my baby.

you can all laugh now...i fail. :damn:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Re-read the section in your msf manual about approaching animals. If you didn't take the msf course yet, park the bike and don't ride till you do.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was 125 lbs and 5'6 and never dropped my bike

Now i'm 5'9 and 145 lbs and still never drop my bike.

dont know how people can... and i wouldnt stop if a dog was ahead ;/

congrats trancedmp3...you must be the greatest rider in the world! also, i'm glad that you grew 3''. i bet you can touch the ground while you are sitting on your bike now!!! :2up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Poor guy

That sucks, even after taking a class, I can imagine a lot fo people would do the same thing around an animal. I've been chased by a dog in the suburbs and I didn't know till he almost caught me at a stop sign! Also, I dunno what your height/weight has to do with it if a dog caused the accident. I dunno if I'd punch the dog, but I know I'd feel like beating the owner or whatever baby/nun was around!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sucks, even after taking a class, I can imagine a lot fo people would do the same thing around an animal. I've been chased by a dog in the suburbs and I didn't know till he almost caught me at a stop sign! Also, I dunno what your height/weight has to do with it if a dog caused the accident. I dunno if I'd punch the dog, but I know I'd feel like beating the owner or whatever baby/nun was around!
haha, love the baby/nun part. i feel bad about punching the dog, but it's always in the road. i live out in the country, so i have to watch out for deer and dogs...i just hope that i never have a run in with a deer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go find the dogs owner and hand him the bill for the repair. I agree the dog doesn't know any better, but the owner should.
they have lived down the road since before we moved in (over 20 years ago)...i really don't want any bad blood there. like i said, the damage isn't really bad, and i fixed it myself. the only thing that is still messed up is the exhaust heat shield, and i plan on getting new exhaust for it soon anyway.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
they have lived down the road since before we moved in (over 20 years ago)...i really don't want any bad blood there. like i said, the damage isn't really bad, and i fixed it myself. the only thing that is still messed up is the exhaust heat shield, and i plan on getting new exhaust for it soon anyway.
Doesn't matter there is probably a leash law. Sounds like dog is running "at large".

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doesn't matter there is probably a leash law. Sounds like dog is running "at large".
well like i said, i live out in the country...like 10 miles from any town. all of the dogs out here are running free...i just need to be more careful next time. i might not always be as lucky as i was in this incident!

·
Registered
229 Posts
No frame sliders? Crank case covers would be expensive...

·
Registered
95 Posts
+1 on frame sliders...

The part of the MSF course regarding animals typically refers to a dog that starts chasing/coming at you from the side. They specifically say that you should accelerate to throw off the dog's timing and prevent it from intercepting. They don't necessarily talk about a dog/deer/squirrel/armadillo/raccoon/bear chilling in the road in front of you.

In this case, the dog already being in the road makes the situation different. It could be coming at you, at which point it may charge you or try to "intercept" you and jump at you. If it's going away from you, it won't see you, so who knows if it'll wander in front of you. Or the dog could be just dumb and not do much of anything.

Either way, sorry about your luck Rhyno. Don't get too upset about it...you're physically ok and your bike still runs. A lot of cosmetic damage to your bike is better than a little cosmetic damage to your face. Keep your head up. Don't let the flamers on this site get to you. There's always someone who has to completely bash a new rider when something happens to them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Go find the dogs owner and hand him the bill for the repair. I agree the dog doesn't know any better, but the owner should.
+1, then take him/her onto Judge Judy. :infrandom

If I remember correctly from MSF, you need to slow down when approaching the animal then gun it past.

Deer aren't too bad because generally they're afraid of people, I would be more afraid of a large rottreiler or something though.

·
MPG mod
7,420 Posts
I hate owners who don't leash there pets. While out one night in PA with friends of mine, we were cutting through a subdivision and doing 20 miles an hour cause we were looking for a street. The street was poorly lit as well. Well out of nowhere a bull dog saunters out into the middle of the road and stops right in front of me...when I was about 6 feet from him. I was very fortunate to be on my game that night and according to my friends grazed the dumb s**t with my peg.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
+1 on frame sliders...

The part of the MSF course regarding animals typically refers to a dog that starts chasing/coming at you from the side. They specifically say that you should accelerate to throw off the dog's timing and prevent it from intercepting. They don't necessarily talk about a dog/deer/squirrel/armadillo/raccoon/bear chilling in the road in front of you.

In this case, the dog already being in the road makes the situation different. It could be coming at you, at which point it may charge you or try to "intercept" you and jump at you. If it's going away from you, it won't see you, so who knows if it'll wander in front of you. Or the dog could be just dumb and not do much of anything.

Either way, sorry about your luck Rhyno. Don't get too upset about it...you're physically ok and your bike still runs. A lot of cosmetic damage to your bike is better than a little cosmetic damage to your face. Keep your head up. Don't let the flamers on this site get to you. There's always someone who has to completely bash a new rider when something happens to them.
thanks a lot man. i went past there yesterday on my bike and the dog just sat in the ditch and watched me, didn't run out toward me or anything...i think he got the message. anyway, my bike is all better now, nothing a little touch up paint couldn't take care of! :thumbup:...thank god it didn't hurt my plastic! haha.

as far as frame sliders, i plan on getting them, but with the first months insurance due as soon as i signed up, and just getting the bike, i'm a little tight on money right now. i do plan on getting some very soon though. when i have to make the cut in the plastic on the left side, what is the best thing to use? i'm really nervous about doing it myself, but don't feel like i should have to pay someone for something so easy. :hmmm:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts