Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
mr_cox said:
i think evilbologna owes somone 10 dollars.. wanna split it and buy some chinese food? :bounce
i owe no one anything. it was assisted (via ballhawk), therefore not legit :D

all in all, you cant blame people completely for doing what they do, the american society plays a huge role in it. the american market for "beginner bikes" is extrememly limited. there is too much concentration on having more power, more bling, best of the best, whatever. which is why im stuck on the idea of alot of riders riding purely for the image, not the sport. if they were about the sport, they wouldnt think twice about rocking a 250, work on building corner speed and proper braking skills.

america is not a motorcycle country (besides harley), we miss out on many models of bikes, and its really not quite a part of our society. not yet anyways, its on the rise, with moto ads on websites that arent even moto related, tv commercials, mainstream media support, etc etc.

overseas, motorcycling is a way of life. here, its about the image (not all, just speaking about majority).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great post and I agree with you about most of it... Here is my argument:

Now maybe I'm just thinking of the "Dual Sport" here but the katana 600 was my first bike I had ever ridden and it taught me ALOT! Its taller so it fits the taller person very well, although, I'm only 5'10". It does not have as much torque or power as an SS bike does but has PLENTY of power for a newbie. Whenever someone asks me what they should get for a first bike, I can't say enough good things about the katana. I would shy away from the katana if you are a really small person just because of its weight and if you do drop it, it can be a PITA to get it back on its tires. But, for any that are taller or even average build I think the katana is the perfect starter bike. It will also get someone used to the 600cc class of power without getting into the 600cc SS class of power.

I had my 2001 katana 600 for 2 1/2 years, bought it used for $3500 with only 2900 miles. I sold it middle - end of last summer with 13000 miles and a new paint job (because I had two very low speed drops and the fairing was scratched up), for $3900. So, for those saying "I can only afford to get one bike so it might as be the one that I want." or "I don't want to go through the hassle of buying and selling a used bike to learn on.". Like you said, there is the market out there! And, I build/sell bikes now, specializing in Suzuki Katana's, mainly for the fact that I've had more experience with them than anything else but also because there is such a high demand for beginner bikes.

As for the "vanity" arguments...

This is just the dumbest thing that I've ever heard, I can't believe people are so into the "what will others think of me" or "what will i look like on this bike". But, hey, I know its said ALOT, so I offer this... The katana once again...

Now, I personally like the looks of that bike :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
dude thats a HOT katana !!! see i was given my gixxer750 so thats my started bike .. if i could get a katana or something smaller so to speak to become more effiecent on but i kinda dont have that disposable cash . so for me i have to use my head , stay with in my skills and not try to extend past them , and most importantly review the MSF course when i get the chances to so i can react with in that instant and not have to think about it ... but i agree that here its more about looks and getting girls than a life style and it kinda blows because we do miss out on ALOT of neat things

·
Registered
100 Posts
99gixxer750 said:
dude thats a HOT katana !!! see i was given my gixxer750 so thats my started bike .. if i could get a katana or something smaller so to speak to become more effiecent on but i kinda dont have that disposable cash . so for me i have to use my head , stay with in my skills and not try to extend past them , and most importantly review the MSF course when i get the chances to so i can react with in that instant and not have to think about it ... but i agree that here its more about looks and getting girls than a life style and it kinda blows because we do miss out on ALOT of neat things
Where do you live? I know where one is for sale

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yea, the solo cowl really does do wonders for the looks of the kat. the guy that makes them http://www.braada.com is also a part owner of http://www.katriders.com he is a great guy and we ride together as much as possible. awesome rider! its amazing how good he can run the twisties with his wife on the back of the bike none the less! really cool guy and a one man operation on making those things but very nice quality work! AND they fit right over top of the back of the seat so no need to get a new seat or anything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
this is one of the first things i read before i even signed up and i have to say it is very informative and it makes you think twice. i have to admit my 600 is my first bike and yes i have taken the msf course and i do have my license. i think that class can teach people a lot more than just learning on your own.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First Bike

Totally agree with Boss. I have been riding for about 8 years started on a 1988 Katana 600. It served its purpose taught me the ropes. Bought it for $600 with a Yoshi pipe. Put some work into it about $500 then rode it for a couple and sold it for $1200. A few bike later I'm on a 03 GSXR 750 and lovin it. When all else fails just be safe. Its not only you that you have to worry about its everyone else.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I love this thread. I'm kinda upset it took me so long to find it.

I'd like to add a few analogies though, as it tends to be my forte.

Think of a bike like a horse. First time you ride a horse do you want that magnificent black stallion thats bucking around the pen and eye fucking anyone who gets near it? Or the friendlier horse that is still fun to ride, can give you new thrills, and who may not have the same super human stamina and speed of the stallion, but won't have you so scared that you don't enjoy the ride? Because thats what its about is fun.

One more.
Think of a bike like a plane. No one jumps right into an F-18 fighter jet. You start out with lots of schooling, and small prop planes. When you're able to handle those and know the basics, the SOLID FOUNDATION, you move up accordingly from there.

Going through the MSF and then jumping on a SuperSport is much like taking the first day of flight school and then hopping in a fighter jet. Might be exciting, but there's a reason it doesn't happen in real life. Because its too much machine for new people.

With all of this in mind, you CAN move up to supersport bikes. You CAN ride the black stallion, and fly the fighter plane, you just gotta learn the basics first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im a NEWBIE just bought a GSX_R600, as a matter of fact my entire crew just bought 600, all brand new riders. I had the bike for about 1 month, 650 miles with the rain. I'm doing just fine considering I've never road a street bike dirt bike, just a quad (SUZUKI OF COURSE). But I love the BIKE thinking about upgrading...CT

·
Registered
18 Posts
Scrap42206 said:
Im a NEWBIE just bought a GSX_R600, as a matter of fact my entire crew just bought 600, all brand new riders. I had the bike for about 1 month, 650 miles with the rain. I'm doing just fine considering I've never road a street bike dirt bike, just a quad (SUZUKI OF COURSE). But I love the BIKE thinking about upgrading...CT
I will meet U there!!

·
S.I.J
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you have never ridden a bike you need to read this!, It might save your life and your wallet for serious damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good thread.....im new to bikes and have never rode a sport bike, dirt bike but i have rode a quad. Im currently looking around for a begginers bike and also reading up a lot on safety tips and other stuff. Thanks for the great thread guys.....it will help me.

21 - 40 of 215 Posts